Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Freg, Jared015, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, Sunil, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 729 guests, and 217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
K
We want to create habitat for our smaller fishes. Our bass have plenty of places to hide but with out shelter for our smaller bream and minnows I'm afraid they are being consumed before their time.

So here goes, realizing there are a million ways to do this, tell me what you think of this. Take two plastic laundry baskets and with galvanized wire, wire the two baskets mouth to mouth and sink in 5 to 10' of water with concrete block. The holes in the baskets with let the small fish in and keep the big fish out. Set up say 10 "reefs" in our 80 acre lake with four sets of baskets per reef. If successful build another ten in the Spring etc.

What do you think?

F
F
That would work.

construction safety fencing like this will also work if it is scrunched up into a ball or bowtie and weighted down.

R
R
I've had galvanized straps rust through in about 6 months when continuously submerged in water. I'd spring for copper or stainless steel wire.

K
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
K
How about quality small diameter nylon rope?

P
P
I think it will work fine. How about adding some fine brush or material inside as well?

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: kingfish
How about quality small diameter nylon rope?

Or zip ties

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The plastic laundry baskets are not near enough quantity of habitat to protect any amount of forage fish. Plus you are placing them in too deep of water. Small fish typically find refuge and long term survival in shallow water were brush and weed beds occur. Good refuge areas for small fish should be near the concept and extent of submerged weed beds- relatively expansive areas, i.e. a sizable percentage of the shoreline length; 5%-20%. Consider establishing natural habitat; beneficial vegetation that does not become rampant nor invasive.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/20/11 11:07 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Anything can become structure if it will last under water. I use a lot of cedar when available for habitat that will be fished through. For sanctuary for forage You can literally use anything, just think of dense cover for small fish to hide in. If your lake has none you need to plan on adding enough in different areas to cover 10% of the surface acreage. Place it in 2-4 ft water. I use stainless steel or heavy duty UV protected zip ties to secure weights; the galvanized stuff rusts through.

-HH

D
D
I worry about adding a lot of artificial plastic cover to a lake. In the short run, I'm sure it is a good way to provide some cover. In the long run however, it seems bound to affect water quality. Am I wrong to worry about this?

It also seems like natural cover, such as trees, will be partially broken down by aquatic insects and the like, and probably wind up making some organic contribution to a body of water's forage base.

P
P
Great question Deadwood, we spent many hours looking into this very question. Seems pvc is standing the test of time with it's endless use's in and around the water table. Pro's and con's to both. All natural, decaying habitat which needs to be maintained/added to over time is no doubt, nature's intended way to provide habitat for fish. However, to much decaying wood can also cause adverse effects, though rarely the case. The overall concept of artificial habitat In my opinion, is to create a base for natural growth to adhere and grow onto. The framework of any given structure type simply provide the structural framework to let nature take over. While pvc is a widely acceptable and currently approved material to provide humans drinking water, I trust our small additions to habitat restoration in lakes and ponds have far more positive effects than negative. As always, we support a variety of structure types used together to create the best options for your fish.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Deadwood see this from the archives - outstanding thread with lots of pics on structure. I like natural structure. Think about picking up lots of xmas trees after Christmas and putting them in in various ways.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92463#Post92463

Nice post Peepaw.

K
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
K
Thanks ewest for your help. After discussions with our landowners we have backed off putting plastics in the lake. We are going to use Christmas trees and some of the many Virginia Pines that grow on our properties. As for bass cover we may go to the cement blocks in a bit deeper waters. There is just something that's not right about seeing a hunk of plastic in the water, much less what effects it might have on our environment.

L
L
I would assume you have to be careful with some of that structure or your neighbors will think you are inventing an alien landing craft or trying to intercept signals from outer space ;-).

Lots of great ideas in that thread! I think I will stick with Christmas trees and buckets as for appearance they seem most natural for the aesthetics.

I have been trying to think of a way to accomplish another goal:
Protecting frogs and tadpoles from larger fish in the same pond. I am not so certain it can be done and still have things look nice. Only thing I am coming up with is putting in mesh galvanized fence which may not last very long, or the plastic snow fence to form a long barrier. The fence would have to come up above the water line, but the fish still may jump it. Trying to use brush will invariably wind up with enough holes for the big fish to get through so I don't see that as being effective.

Any ideas out there for this? I know some of you have "feeder" ponds which I am considering, but I will probably get the veto from the rest of the family.

Thanks
Mark W.

P
P
Can understand your asthetic concerns. Remember, after the PVC "tree" is in the drink awhile, it will be full of algae and un-recognizable as anything "artificial", same as anything put in.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images