Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 778 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Sounds like my wife might "suprise" me with a fish feeder for my birhday next month. Is Texas Hunter the feeder to buy? Do they have the best price direct or can a person do better through someone else?

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I strongly suggest the Texas Hunter feeder Ranger. I've had mine for a couple of years now with no problems at all. I know someone on this forum sells them but it would really depend on the shipping, depending how close you are to them. I have a TH deer feeder also that is about 7 years old now. 1 battery is all I've had to do to it. Great products. Nice birthday present!

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Thanks Cisco! I was in Texas near where they are made (I think) a year or two ago (maybe two) and thought about trying to hunt them up; but was in a car and didn't think it would fit in trunk anyway.

I don't think our local fisheries biologist is that cracked up about feeding fish in this area (i.e. risk vs. benefits); but I've got the HSBs now and I'd really like to grow some bluegill like others have so will probably try; but not feed too heavy...

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Quality fish feeders used to be a two horse race between Texas Hunter and Sweeney. Sweeney has had financial issues and no one seems to know what the status of the company and the product is. I own three Sweeneys and don't know what will happen if one of them goes out. As far as state fisheries biologists not being up to speed on modern fishery management techniques, that is not very surprising. I live in Illinois too and have seen several examples of that.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Lunker
Lunker
Find Greg Grimes somewhere on this forum and he'll help you out. I bought a TH from him and it works great, as long as it's kept above water.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
They still work if they went underwater too - just get 'em dried out and cleaned out! Been there, done that.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
We sell them as well. I would be happy to ship one up to you. Just PM me and we will help.

Fisheries Biologist, Texoma Hatchery.
www.texomahatchery.com
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
I ordered a Texas Hunter DF425 with heavy duty solar charger today so could get the discount. Looking forward to getting it. Don't have a dock yet.

Wondering if should put it on bank on island or if it would be feasible to put on float and anchor out in the main part of lake. Thinking if put on float and anchor, would have concerns of it tipping over (lake catches some wind and gets some waves) and extra cost / time involved in building platform around float; but it might disperse the feed better (i.e. longer time before feed hit shore) and reduce concerns that raccoons or mice might mess it up.

Any thoughts?

Also, have some ducks and geese on the lake. They normally fly off as soon as we show up; but with an automatic feeder, I'm wondering if they will scoop up the feed or if that is a non-issue?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
The Texas Hunter has an extremely powerful motor that throws feed a long way. Not sure you would need anything to get it out from the shore.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
A buddy has his mounted on a very small utility trailer, and backs the trailer up to the pond. He can get it to throw the food further by putting the tongue of the trailer on the ground, angling the feeded a bit. He can get the feeder to overhang the steep bank a small bit by using the trailer. He drove a pipe into the ground and tied the trailer tongue to it so the whole thing wouldn't roll into the pond during a high wind.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
W
W
The 425 will do fine from the shore. Depending on the slope may want to build a small platform and use the straight dock legs. Or you can use pavers to level the bank legs if you ordered those. No experience with ducks but sea gulls love fish feeders. You will have great service out of the TH feeder, we've only had a few battery issues over the last 4 years or so.

www.qualitylakes.com

"If once [the people] become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress and Assemblies, Judges, and Governors, shall all become wolves."
- Thomas Jefferson 1787
Lunker
Lunker
The TH literature claims they will throw feed 45 feet.
I think they are being conservative.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Ducks will definitely eat the fish food and can eat it pretty darned fast. You should keep an eye on them. We had a few domesticated ducks (those ugly white ones) show up and they were having a field day for several months before we had to get rid of them. Haven't had much of a problem with wild ducks. I always build a small platform / pier and put my feeders on the platform. I screw the legs to the platform so that there is no chance that the feeder ends up in the lake. I also store an extra bag of food in a metal garbage can at the feeder and bungie the lid of the garbage can on. Don't use a plastic garbage can or the rodents will chew holes in it.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Thanks everyone! Looking forward to getting it.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Bill you mean Muscovy Ducks. All ducks will eat the feed and they can tell time.

Ranger - good luck and let us know how things go.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Wound up setting it up a couple weeks ago on the island. I was amazed that it went together so well. Holes were aligned, right number of everything, hooked it up, started up, everything went smooth. Actually, first time out with pontoon boat and motor this year too. Motor started on first crank. Pretty good day. We tested and first started hitting the fish food right away. Set it to feed twice in early morning and late evening. Haven't been back yet to see how it is going. Hope to today or tomorrow.

Now looking at some cheap feeders (in case stolen or vandalized) to set up in different areas; but will review other posts or possibly make another post to solicit recommendations on those.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rangersedge
Now looking at some cheap feeders (in case stolen or vandalized) to set up in different areas; but will review other posts or possibly make another post to solicit recommendations on those.

This thread has opinions on the inexpensive Moultrie feeders: Feeders

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Ranger I echo thoughts of Dave not really a need to built a dock. The legs have a huge amount of adjustment to makeup for sloping shoreline. Keep them clean with no vegetation growing around them that wil help with rats and mice. What do you mean you ordered today so you could get the discount?

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Greg: There was a deadline on the Texas Hunter website for a discount. I ordered from you; but assumed that applied and wasn't the regular price... We did mount on the shoreline and it seems to be working fine.

I think I might get some Moultrie feeders too. Looking most seriously at this one http://www.moultriefeeders.com/productDetail.aspx?id=MFH-PS1
to go around the perimeter more and to use at some other ponds where there is an increased risk of theft / vandalism.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Ok thx wondering what was up. I do not change based on sale price. I do pay a few dollars more in growing season but easier for us to keep prices the same and just make less this time of year. I try to keep a fair price and it does save a good bit versus direct. Thanks for the order.

On the Moultrie as I explained to MrHello tough to save you guys money b/c it has to ship to me then back out. If he gets one of these I will let you know since shipping both here saves a little. I told him it would be $61 plus shipping so saves you a few dollars even after their sale price.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Just an update on the feeder. It is working really well with HSB and others really responding. It had stopped kicking as much feed into the water recently so first assumed it was out of feed. Nope. Then assumed some grass growing up in front was blocking so did the weedeater thing. Partially. Still not kicking much feed out. Opened side panel and saw something on the plate where feed drops from. Used Leatherman Wave, took panel off, and retrieved pieces from top of feed sack that had dropped in with the fish food and was partially blocking pathway. Replaced panel. Kicked in test mode and worked great. Took all of maybe five minutes. Still very well pleased with feeder.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
yeah, the paper strips and string from feed sacks don't go thru the feeder very well...... wink

Glad you found the problem and it was an easy fix!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Yeah. Felt kind of stupid when I saw that feed sack strip; but remembered back to when we filled it. The feeder is on the island. There was a big storm brewing. It had started to rain (hard), thunder and lightning were rapidly closing in (already too close actually). We had absolutely no business being where we were and were in a hurry to get it filled and get gone before we got zapped.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Update and question. Feeder worked great. Raccoons obviously unsuccessfully tried to get into it. Some bird (osprey or eagle or) was diving into water at feeding time. Looked like a hawk of some type. Checked on it last weekend. Out of feed. I discontinued the scheduled feedings as air temp projected to be below freezing tomorrow night. I did not remove the battery or anything. Should I do anything to prepare it for winter?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you aren't going to use it for the winter, I'd give the inside a good cleaning, maybe think of placing something over the opening where food comes out so mice don't think of it as an open doorway to a new home, and bring the battery inside so it doens't freeze for the next 5 months.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward