Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Lumberman1985, Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M, KWL
18,497 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,941
Members18,497
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
16 members (Jward87, Knobber, ewest, jludwig, Willowwood, Lumberman1985, gautprod, Boondoggle, Sunil, Justin W, Jadog, Augie, Theo Gallus, phinfan, catscratch, Don Kennedy), 810 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Rowly Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I'm a new pond owner with a 16 ac lake. the lake has many mostly small yellow perch already. I introduced bluegill this spring and summer with much spawn and fry. Next year I want to add adult LM and SM bass and maybe some walleye fingerling. My question to you feeders are, is there one fish food that could feed all these fish varieties and their needs. My goal is to have large fed yellow perch and bluegill with the bass/walleye feeding on the smaller young thereafter. Please give the name(s) and approx price per weight bag in your area. I live in southern Ontario and will need to find a supplier of the best food at a vary reasonable price based on our GREAT CANADIAN DOLLAR. Can I train these new and old established fish to take pellets from an automated feeder located in one area of the lake close to the house and dock? Any idea once the lake is established with the varities of fish I will have the amount of food in weight per year I will need to buy, I just read a posting from one person who was told it would cost approx $40-$50 per year for his 1/2 acre pond.Thanks in advance to you feeder of your fish and the knowledge gained from it.

Rowly

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Rowly,

With a pond that big and the fact that yellow perch, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass and in many cases some bluegill have to be feed trained when they are very small concentrating them in tanks, I would save your money.

This is coming from someone that feeds feed trained largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, bluegill, and female only yellow perch everyday, but I have a smaller pond (one of my ponds,)and it is less expensive, and easier to have many of the fish in the pond rally at the same feeding spot twice a day.

With a pond that size you shouldn't have to feed them, and it would be difficult if not impossible to feed them all let alone expensive. You'd also be adding lots of nutrients which can also cause other problems.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Rowly Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Great thanks Cecil. I was thinking the same but wanted to hear this from a person like you with a great deal of hands on experience. I guess I need to keep on top of my pond management so our dream of having great fishing for bluegill, perch both bass and walleye in the same body of water can be obtained and enjoyed as we get older and hopefully wiser with each days new experiences. People like you help that process along for new people like us trying to succeed with our dreams and goals... Thanks again

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Rowly - I tend to agree with Cecil. Plus some added comments.
1. 16 Acres will produce a fair amount of fish for harvest each year depending on the soil type and natural fertility of the watershed that drains into the pond. Even if your fertility is on the low productivity range (40 -50 lbs of fish per acre), that converts to 640 - 800 total lbs in the pond. "The book" says one can harvest about 40-50% of the fish crop per yr. which is 256 lbs (at 40%). Thats a lot of fish to clean. Even if you harvested very conservatively at 100 lbs/yr; that should provide plenty of fish to eat each year.

2. Feeding Your Fish. Studies have shown that fish will travel to feed only 50 -100 ft on either side of a feeder. The only fish that will probably eat pellets in your pond as it is now are the bgill and some perch. If you have just stocked bgill wait till they are abt 6" long before feeding unless you can get a smaller pellet variety than 1/4". Wild bass for the most part & walleye will ignore pellets for you.

If you want to try feeding your fish just for fun and be able to catch a quick fish or to have some growing better than the nonfeed ones - go for it. Before buying an autofish feeder get them eating pellets first by hand feeding. This allows you to see how much is getting eaten and not washed to shore to grow algae. A floating feeding ring helps get them trained to eating pellets. I would highly recommend finding a trout chow ration. Ask your local provincial game warden or extension service as to the closest place to get quality fish feed. I'm not sure of the brands sold in Ontario. Since your fish are not already on feed, they will more likely accept it if it has higher protein and flavor enhancers that the trout ration normally has. If your fish accept the feed then spit it out, try moistening the feed 2 hrs before feeding it, gets them eating quicker. They are rejecting pellets because they are hard. The cheap feeds will NOT soften properly but fall apart when moist. Trout chow WHEN NOT TOO WET remains pliable like moist clay. Roll it into pellets so they sink and they will almost always take it.

3. As you said in your Aug 16 post "need to keep on top of your pond mgmt" is a good idea. Managed properly (big job) your 16 acres should without feeding pellets provide you with great fishing and plenty of good sized fish. Management in terms of proper harvest is key to having a great fishery. Proper harvest in your pond/lake is dependent on what goals you want the fish populations to be like. If you don't have the May-June issue of Pond Boss Magazine get it. The cover story is about selective harvest. The concepts apply to all predator -prey fish populations. Always keep these concepts in mind when harvesting your fish. Harvest is important to prevent overcrowding and lack of growth of all sizes of the predators & panfish. Any size of fish can stop growing when food becomes in short supply which usually occurs when too many brothers and sisters are sharing the food source.
4. Walleye will work in your pond, but remember each one will take the place of one bass. Each eats about the same amount of forage per year. Bass will reproduce and walleye likely will not reproduce in your pond. Walleye have successfully reproduced in a few northern ponds but it is rare and special conditions are needed. Walleye and bass will probably prefer the perch over the bgill as forage. This is because of the shape of the bgill vs perch; round vs slender. Slender is easier to swallow. If you favor one over the other manage them accordingly. I can advise if you need help here. Just ask.

5. From your first post of having lots of small perch it sounds like your first project is to get the perch population thinned so their growth is better. There is probably one size way too abundant and over eating the food source thus growth is poor. With proper size and number structure you should be able to easily have 8-10" perch as common catch in a year or two once more food becomes available.
6. Before you add the fingerling SMB, LMB or walleye, do a heavy thinning of the small yellow perch. Make sure the newly stocked predators have LOTS of the apropriately sized things to eat. This is key to survival of the newly added fish in to existing populations. Often newly stocked predators are outcompeted by the resident over abundant forage fish (perch) and survival is poor. Heavy thinning of the stunted size class will free up more small food for the newly stocked predators. The small predators need a lot of small bugs and small fish fry (YOY, young of the year) (which may not be abundant in your system) to get a "foot hold" and get some growth so they can be bog enough to eat the most abundant prey fish; in your case it is probably perch 4-6".
The other option is to stock larger predators (12-14") which can immediately start eating 4-6" perch.
BCody

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
R
Rowly Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Bill, thanks for the detailed reply. Yes I will be stocking mostly mature LMB next spring because of the establish fish population. As far as the small yellow perch I caught approx 20 mature LMB and added this year over the last few months to help reduce the number of small perch before next year. I'm hoping this reduction will reduce their food pressure and start to get larger but fewer yellow perch. As far as walleye I'm hoping I can get 3-5" fingerling to help avoid them being eaten by the bass until a little larger. I am assuming they will grow approx 1/4" a week like the bluegill fingerling. This pond management is very addictive isn't it as you try to make your dream(s) come true...... Thanks

Rowly

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:21 AM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:17 AM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:16 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner