Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,113
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
9 members (anthropic, Boondoggle, Fishingadventure, phinfan, jpsdad, Brett B, catscratch, jbird5986, Freg), 644 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#272213 10/21/11 07:54 PM
R
randall Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I've learned quite a bit from reading the various posts on this forum. My pond has been stocked with RB Trout, CC, Perch, Walleye, SMB and a few Pumpkinseed. I've caught some Redbreasted sunfish in a local river and was wondering if they would be a good addition. Would they over populate?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Do they normally habitate ponds or just moving water?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Hey Randall, my dad grew up in Duncansville and went to Hollidaysburg HS. Is your pond in the Altoona area? I was just up hunting at our family's land in Bedford County the last couple days...

Anyways, redbreast sunfish(RBS) as esshup eluded to are generally moving water fish. However, they can do well in ponds. They are far less prolific than BG and even pumpkinseed sunfish. The pumpkinseeds you stocked would give me far more of a worry than would RBS. If you just had RBS, I would say the SMB alone would be able to control their reproduction. They are a bit more fusiform in shape, making it easier for the SMB to prey on them as compared to BG and pumpkinseeds. RBS will generally reach 6"-8" is size with a real giant making to 10" or so. Not nearly as big as BG, but about the same size range as pumpkinseeds. Personally, if you are going with a SMB pond, I believe RBS to be the best sunfish species to stock if you are too far north for RES which you are right on that border.

Keep in mind that stocking fish from the wild can lead to accidental introductions. If you misidentify what you stock, you may end up with an unwanted specie(s). You can also introduce parasites, diseases, etc... There are a few commercial sources for RBS. Some sell the golden form of RBS which make interesting additions. They are sorta like the golden rainbows that are stocked with the regular rainbows during trout season.

One of my favorite place to catch nice sized RBS in the Hollidaysburg area is the spillway area below Raystown Lake. There are some monsters from the dam and 1 mile down river. I also like the Frankstown Branch of the Juniata River in the East Freedom area. They are common in there though smaller and mixed in with rock bass and the occasional hold over trout.

R
randall Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks for all the information.
The RBS I caught were also from the Raystown branch of the Juniata. We fish a remote area upstream from Hopewell. In our area the fish suppliers all seem to stock BG and Crappies, so I think I will continue to try the RBS. My hunting land and pond are in Cambria County, next county over from Blair County (where I live). Our pond is at an elevation above 2000ft so it gets pretty cold up there. Good point about parasite introduction...do you think a saltwater bath for 30min or so before introducing fish into my pond would help?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
30 minutes would kill the fish, just long enough for them to turn belly up. A salt bath is a big help, but there are many issues a salt bath won't solve. Sometimes, it's just a risk one has to be willing to take... Spent many a days at Glendale Lake in Cambria County.

R
randall Offline OP
OP Offline
R
What kind of parasites do river fish get? I've seen fish with what looked like small black leaches attached. Are there other types?

My land is southwest of Glendale Lake- in Blacklick Township.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
You name it, river fish can get it...

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
A salt dip at saltwater strength would not kill them if you remove them as soon as they lose equilibrium. As soon as they lose equilibrium (in as little as 30 seconds but it depends on the species) remove them immediately and drop them into the unsalted water. I do this with bluegill and yellow perch all the time when I bring them in from the cages ouside in the ponds to the Recirculating system in my basement. I don't see why it shouldn't work for RBS.

CJBS2003 is right though, it does not remove everything but it does a great job on imploding external parasites. I haven't had a problem with parasites or disease yet by doing this. However I also usually run a 2 ppt (same as 0.2 percent or 2000 ppm) level of salt in the tanks indefinitely which also reduces stress. However this year I'm going to not use salt as I'm getting into Aquaponics and plants don't tolerate salt well. I'm hoping I don't end up with problems with the fish by excluding the salt.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 09:45 PM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 09:39 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails