Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick
18,512 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,985
Posts558,200
Members18,513
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
10 members (JKK, Bobbss, tlogan, Fishingadventure, shooterlurespond, KiwiGuy, Bill Cody, Boondoggle, Bigtrh24, lafarmpondguy), 1,048 guests, and 150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
OP Offline
F
I am going to be digging a pond soon and have a few questions... I have never dug a pond, and I know I have alot of reading up to do before I jump into the project. Its going to be between 1/4 and 1/2 an acre. I have heard different information from different people I talk to. I see people build ponds by building a dam to hold water into low areas, basically flooding a somewhat dry area to begin with. I also see people digging holes in flat areas and letting them fill up with water. Is there a right way or wrong way? Do you have to have a dam, or can you essentially dig a big hole?

The area I plan on putting the pond is the lowest area on my property and stays wet pretty constantly. The northern boarder of the property in that area is a creek and during heavy rains about half of the field goes under water from the creek. The attached pic shows the field after the water has gone mostly down. I know alot depends on soil type and that has yet to be determined. Someone I talked to said to damn it up on the low side and put the overflow going into the creek, and the other person who looked at it said to dig it into the land and make the creek flow into the pond.

Obviously if I build a dam I have a level pond and if I dig into the ground I have a higher bank going down to the water line on one side than the other. Would one way make it easier to hold water than the other?

First pic is the area flooded, second pic shows the area dry... Its the field behind the building.

Attached Images
100_0722.JPG 3.jpg
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
It's usually a bit less expensive if you can build a dam between 2 hills to make a pond - less dirt to move. You CAN build a pond anywhere; BUT it's a LOT cheaper in the long run to build a pond where there is soil that will hold water (you won't have to re-do a leaking pond, or constantly fill from a well to keep it full). It's a lot nicer to look at if the water level in the pond is near the ground level rather than a couple of feet or more below it.

Poeple dig them in flat areas if the water table is high, but the problem with that is that the pond level will fluctuate with the water level in the ground if the pond isn't sealed properly (that's what I'm dealing with).

If you dig it so the creek flows into it the creek water could also bring uninvited guests along as well, so keep reading and asking questions! It's a lot less expensive to do your homework first than having to re-do the pond. I would look into purchasing some of the PB reference books, at the very least the "Perfect Pond, Want One" book.

BTW, Welcome to PB!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
OP Offline
F
The reason I am digging a pond is actually a 2 part reason.... I have always wanted a pond, and I need a TON of dirt for another location on the property. It looks like I will be digging down for the most part and possibly putting a small dam on one side.... What did you mean by "uninvited guests" from the creek?

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Welcome to the forum future! You are asking the right questions and in the right forum. I can't answer your question, but an expert should be along who can.

You mentioned the soil type needs to be determined. I think I'd make this a priority to see how deep you need to go. That might help you make your To Dam Or Not To Dam question.

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted By: Omaha
Welcome to the forum future! You are asking the right questions and in the right forum. I can't answer your question, but an expert should be along who can.

You mentioned the soil type needs to be determined. I think I'd make this a priority to see how deep you need to go. That might help you make your To Dam Or Not To Dam question.

I guess I need to ask the most basic question there is.... How do I determine how deep to go? I was thinking 6-8ft, but dont know for sure.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: futuresweets10
Originally Posted By: Omaha

I guess I need to ask the most basic question there is.... How do I determine how deep to go? I was thinking 6-8ft, but dont know for sure.

A few questions before that can be definitively answered. Different species of fish require different habitats and depth, so what species were you planning on stocking. LMB/BG? Your estimate, 6-8 feet, down south, is probably ok, but let an expert verify that. See if you can drill a hole into the ground, however deep you can go, and fill with water and see if it holds, or if it holds at a certain depth. Might help see if there's good dirt down there.

F
OP Offline
F
Honestly I dont care too much about fish. I want to build the pond in the best way I can and if any species of fish can live in it at that point I may stock it with what ever is best. There is a small pond in the area now so I know the ground can be made to hold water at SOME depth. I know when it comes to how deep to dig one if you go too deep you have a problem (dig through the clay) do you have the same problem if you dont go deep enough as well?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hello futuresweets10 and welcome to Pond Boss. You've probably already done this but make sure you know any and all regulations that govern the construction of ponds in your area.

Next, if you haven't allready I would get the USDA Agriculture Handbook 590. It is a great publication.

Visit the Pond Boss resource library. There are some great book here including "Perfect Pond, Want One?

A pond that is too shallow can become overrun with vegetation.

Anyone can dig a hole. A pond must be constructed keeping in mind watershed, bank slopes, bottom contours, etc.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'd contact the county NCRS Office and see if they can take a soil sample and give their advice for a pond in that location.

I prefered to err on the deeper side rather than on the shallower side when I dug my pond. I went down 22', and by the time the banks were stabilized, erosion filled in almost 4' of the lowest part of the pond. I went that deep because I knew that I didn't have good soil and the pond level would fluctuate with the available ground water. So far in the past 2 years the pond has fluctuated almost 4'.

By uninvited guests I meant fish species. Bullheads for one, and the creek could also possibly bring Carp along for the ride as well.

If you run into good clean clay, stockpile it to line the pond, compacting it with a sheepsfoot roller in 6" lifts and make it a total of 24" thick. That will really seal the bottom and sides.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
T
Welcome to the forum futuresweets10! "The Perfect Pond, Want One" book is a must have for any current/future pond owner as esshup referenced. I wouldn't recommend daming up a creek either, as you may have unwanted guests and its really hard to know if you have successfully eradicated everything in it, some of which may cause you problems down the road, so I would also steer clear of that idea. Glad to see another person in Mississippi.

Fisheries Biologist
Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks

"Success is often overlooked because it dresses up in overalls and disguises itself as work."
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted By: esshup
I'd contact the county NCRS Office and see if they can take a soil sample and give their advice for a pond in that location.

I prefered to err on the deeper side rather than on the shallower side when I dug my pond. I went down 22', and by the time the banks were stabilized, erosion filled in almost 4' of the lowest part of the pond. I went that deep because I knew that I didn't have good soil and the pond level would fluctuate with the available ground water. So far in the past 2 years the pond has fluctuated almost 4'.

By uninvited guests I meant fish species. Bullheads for one, and the creek could also possibly bring Carp along for the ride as well.

If you run into good clean clay, stockpile it to line the pond, compacting it with a sheepsfoot roller in 6" lifts and make it a total of 24" thick. That will really seal the bottom and sides.

I wont have the option of using a sheepsfoot roller.... The cost of that is out of my range.... I dont know if its just the area or what, but I have NEVER seen anyone use one when building a pond down here.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: futuresweets10

I wont have the option of using a sheepsfoot roller.... The cost of that is out of my range.... I dont know if its just the area or what, but I have NEVER seen anyone use one when building a pond down here.

Could you rent one?

Another thing about creeks, they will carry a lot of sediment with the water during high water events, and the sediment will tend to settle out in slower moving water (i.e. your pond).

www.hoosierpondpros.com

F
OP Offline
F
Those cant be cheap to rent.... If that would be required I would find a way, but like previously stated, I have NEVER seen one use on a pond around here.... not saying its not the right way, but obviously alot of other people have built successful ponds with out one. I think the biggest variable is how small my pond will actually be... (1/4 acre or so)

F
OP Offline
F
I know this post is old, but its been over a year and I figured I would post an update. I bought a back hoe, had it for a while and then sold it. I dug about half of the pond myself and then paid a neighbor to finish it with a track hoe and dozer. The pics I am posting are actually about 6 months old with the exception of the last one, which is more current. I am finally starting to get grass growing around it now.

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/190226_1878717577752_1535649283_1999611_7103191_n.jpg

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jim Mabrey, Kavita Singh, Martyman, PondMutt, TJP84
Recent Posts
RES are fanning out beds
by Fishingadventure - 05/03/24 09:04 PM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/03/24 08:52 PM
Maximum Slope For Dam Safety
by Fishingadventure - 05/03/24 08:45 PM
Is this planktonic algae?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/03/24 07:53 PM