Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
4 members (Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, catscratch, Ponderific2024), 1,056 guests, and 153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks Tony.

RC51, don't be fooled. I think the older wiser does are smarter than most bucks.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Does are often harder than young bucks because they usually traven in multiples - more eyes, ears, and noses. Most mature animals got that way by being skiddish.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Weekend Update,

Well it was kind of warm and windy so not to great hunting weather. I did see 2 smaller does on Sat. morning but passed on them. And about 9 fricken turkeys at my feeder! I guess I could have taken a Turkey but not to hip on Turkey meat! I wish it would have been a few hogs I would have smoked a nice hog in heartbeat! Oh well better luck next weekend!

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Congrats on the doe, RC! I have not yet taken up bowhunting because I just don't have the time I feel I would need to become proficient enough to ensure a kill versus just maiming the deer. I won't do that. Bowhunting sounds like a real rush and I'd love to try it someday, but not until I have better flexibility with my time to practice a bunch. Good luck on the next one!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: catmandoo

Ken, I didn't know you could hunt with a crossbow here unless you had a disability, permanent or temporary. I looked into it after my shoulder surgery a couple of years ago but didn't go through with it because I figured I'd only be able to use it for one season while I did my rehab. Are you saying it's legal in WV under some set of circumstances?

Todd La Neve

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Not sure on WV but PA and VA have legalized crossbows in all archery seasons.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Due to shoulder problems I can't use a bow. And due to my cheapskate outlook, I can't use a 10 point crossbow. Those things are great but kinda pricey.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
Ken, I didn't know you could hunt with a crossbow here unless you had a disability, permanent or temporary. I looked into it after my shoulder surgery a couple of years ago but didn't go through with it because I figured I'd only be able to use it for one season while I did my rehab. Are you saying it's legal in WV under some set of circumstances?

Oh! I may need to find a lawyer!

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
Texas legalized crossbows a year or two ago across-the-board. Fine by me.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Due to shoulder problems I can't use a bow. And due to my cheapskate outlook, I can't use a 10 point crossbow. Those things are great but kinda pricey.

Dave, I have a Barnette Revolution. e-bay IIRC $200 is what I paid.

Very crappy trigger, but if you concentrate on the trigger when you use it, it works pretty well. I have a Excalibur Lumi-Zone scope on it and that scope really completes the package. I filled the hollow stock with expanding foam to help with the noise, and you can get a crank cocking device to help cock it. I use a rope cocking device, but after 10 shots, even that gets tiring to use. I'm afraid to shoot at the same target dot twice at less than 40 Yds. Too aftaid of hitting the bolt that I just shot.

They're legal for turkeys in Indiana, and in late archery season for deer. Next year they'll be legal in all archery seasons for deer.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Originally Posted By: Todd3138

Oh! I may need to find a lawyer!

You know I'd hook you up!

Todd La Neve

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Scott, is there any way to smooth down or adjust the trigger? What kind of accuracy are you getting with it?

I have a chance to hunt on a trophy ranch just South of San Antonio this year. It's a bow lease and one of the guys is going to loan me his 10 point. I'm pretty stoked about that.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 10/12/11 05:46 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Scott, is there any way to smooth down or adjust the trigger? What kind of accuracy are you getting with it?

I have a chance to hunt on a trophy ranch just South of San Antonio this year. It's a bow lease and one of the guys is going to loan me his 10 point. I'm pretty stoked about that.

Pretty accurate. I think that's why he said he was afraid of putting one bolt on another.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Congrats RC !!! I very well remember my first bow kill even tho it was just a yearling doe and almost 40 yrs ago. I still get that super adrenalin rush when one is within 25 yrds, especially if they're on high alert. One with the bow is as good as two with a gun, probably even better. The best post on this topic is by DogLoyaly, had ta snicker on that one. When you've reached the point that you can laugh at and with yourself, you've won.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Dave, I can't figure out how to fix the trigger on it. Heck, I can't even figure out how to get TO the trigger group! I even bought another bare stock off of e-bay and still can't figure it out. Accuracy? If it's calm, and I'm shooting from a rest, 4" at 50 Yds, and at 30 yds or less the possibility of sticking one bolt into another and ruining the first bolt is a real possibility.

Let me know how the trigger is on the 10 Point. I've never shot one.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
I still remember my first one. I've got a number of deer over the years; but that one might be my most memorable. Kudos! smile

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Scott, I've shot the 10 point at a target. At about 25 or so yards, it was extremely, almost rifle, accurate and has a smooth trigger pull. I would love to have one but not at the price. I almost bought one from an individual. However, when I did my research I found that they had toned some of them down for youth hunters. This one turned out to be one of the "weaker" ones.

J
J
Congrats RC. I am surprised to see how many of us are bow hunters - maybe I shouldn't be, but I'm pleasantly surprised!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
This is my Ten Point.

Very smooth trigger and with custom arrows, it's scary accurate...

I do enjoy hunting with it far more than a rifle or muzzleloader. However, my baby is my Matthews bow.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ken, I like the admonishments.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey thanks everyone. I am going back this weekend to give it one more try before ML opens up. I would be stoked if I got another doe or a nice buck still with my bow. That way i could pretty much hunt for antlers knowing I already have meat in the freezer! Plus the youth hunt is coming up too and my son is a pretty dang good shot with his 30:30. smile

Good hunting fellas and remember if your in a tree always put on your harness guys! You family depends on it!! smile

Last edited by RC51; 10/14/11 12:27 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
RC, you really know you're hooked on archery when ML or rifle is legal but you still take out the bow... I have some friends like that, me I still like lead at high velocities.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Well I blew it Thursday afternoon. Went out in the drizzle to a ladder stand near a small steam (mostly dry now). Not 15 minutes after settling in, I saw a buck that I watched quite a bit last year. He has a lame front leg and a single drop tine that is now about 5" long. He still needs at least 2 years to be a trophy. Well then I saw he was with another buck coming toward me in the stream bed also. I assumed that he was the same one that Gimpy ran with last year, but there seemed to be a lot of tines, but they did not look long, so I kept my bow laying across my lap. I am sure you know where this is going by now. Well when he popped out of the overhanging brush, he was way out from his ears and a nice typical 10 point. At least a 140 and possibly as big as mid 150s. He now knew something was not right but he proceeded up on my right side
10 yards away, but his eyes were right in my direction the entire time and the other buck was on my left, so I did not know where his eyes were at. The big guy looked straight up at me but did not bolt. He jogged out to about 25 yards strait in front of my stand but behing brush. He then proceeded away to the right, came back in front and then to the left, and then came back again and proceeded away into a weed field, all while behind a line of brush. Don't know if I'll see him again, but I had my chance and really blew it! I now wish that I had attemted the shot with his eyes in my direction. Maybe he was looking lower. woulda coulda shoulda

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ouch!

You did the right thing by not shooting. Any movement with him looking your way would have spooked him. As it stands now, nothing spooked him, so he might be coming back down the same trail later.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
That's what I am hoping. I got last year's buck on the 3rd sighting, but saw one "over the hill" buck just once during the first week. Got both of the one's from last year on a trail cam, but have not seen one good buck on the camera this year. Knowing he is around makes it a bit more fun. Real windy here today.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...