Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 778 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
ghoti Offline OP
OP Offline
G
This week my favorite pond died. All the fish are dead. At least it appears that all the fish are dead. This is a private sportsman's club.

How soon can re-stocking begin?

This is my first visit to this site. I met Bob at a Bass Resource Road Trip at Pickwick Lake in 2008, so I know this is the right place to ask the question.

I know there are many factors to consider, so I will be visiting this site and reading everything I can. I will get up to speed as soon as I can.

Thanks to all who reply,
GK

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I would fix the issue that killed the fish first..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Ghoti:

In what part of Illinois do you live? I live in Fayette County and we have had water temp in the high 80s+. On Sunday we had a 2 inch cold rain. My air temp went from 95 to 72 in less than hour. Several local non-aerated ponds have had massive fish kills caused by the sudden air temperature change and two inchs of cold rain.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'm right down the road bing.. Exact same scenario no aeration as of yet.. And I tjmhink my fish were jumping for joy, that rain totally rejuvenated my pond (seemed like it anyways lol smile )

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Rarely is there a 100% fish kill. I would first access what survived. Often it's the smaller fish and the less desireable trash fish if they are present... Then look into aeration. I'd consider killing off any remaining fish and starting over if you lost most of the bigger fish.

J
J
We had a fish kill during the winter but we suffered extreme cold. Not normally we don't experience. We had four days of below freezing and the lowest temperature being -20 F. But more recently, we experienced a fish kill due to a lack of aeration.

F
F
Like they said, see what you have.
Mabeye a good time to rid the pond of GSF, bull head and carp, if you have them.

Then of course, every body suggest bait first, appropriate amount to acrage of dam.

They would say bait this fall once the temps cool and forage fish this spring.

Then later you big game fish either as the target speiceis or to control a trophy blue/brim/perch fishery.

unless you are doing trout, which I doubt.

Can you give us more details.

What was in the pond?

Game fish, trash fish, bait fish, feeder creeks.

What is in the dams up the drainage from the pond?

We all image that the estreme heat was to blame, is this your impression too?

Water is the basis of all life, by design!
G
ghoti Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Sorry guys, I haven't been home for a while, and haven't had e-access while out.

BGKiller, you're on the money; there are problems which need to be addressed.

Bing, this is in Christian county. We're practically neighbors. Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm glad to hear that this was not the only occurence in the same time and place. It eliminates some suspected stupidity.

For background info; the pond is about 10 acres, dammed, with four in-flows. Two of these are from roadside ditches full of grass so the entering water is mostly clear. Once source is from a pasture and one from farmland. The pond has very good clarity for central Illinois; at least it does for much of the year. It gets dingy in the spring, but clears fairly quickly once the grass is green and the spring rains have ended.

The fish population was largemouth bass, crappie, bluegill, hybrid redear and catfish. Catfish used to be stocked every year, but not for the past 8 years or so. I've been fishing this pond for better than 20 years, and that's what I've caught; LMB, crappie, bluegill, hybrid redear, and once in a blue moon catfish.

A survey from a rowboat two days after the fishkill revealed bass up to about 6 pounds, crappie up 18", hybrids up to 12", lots of bluegill, and only a handful of catfish, all of which were in the 5 - 7 pound range.

Here's what I believe happened. This is a private sportmen's club which changed management a few years ago. They have been on a radical weed kill scheme. Last year they introduced some chemical; nobody is saying what, which killed every bit of vegetaion in the pond. I mean everything. Since that happened the fishing has been lousy.

There is a large aerator which they claim costs them 20 bucks a month to run, so they will not turn it on.

I, along with others, have urged them to turn on the aerator to no avail. This year, the only bass I've caught came from less than 4 feet of water and were all small. The only crappie I've caught were from less than 4 feet of water. Ditto all other fish I've caught this year from this pond. I think all the decaying vegetation depleted the oxygen levels such that the only real inhabitable area was near the surface.

Well they finally decided that maybe the aerator was a good idea once the surface temps were approaching 90 degrees. This was on a Friday afternoon. That Friday evening we received about 2" of cold rain. I think the pond turned over, mixing the dead water from the bottom with what little water held any oxygen, lowering the oxygen levels to below the sustainability limit, suffocating the fish. They turned the aerator on at just the right time to expidite the process. Fish started floating Saturday, and by Monday afternoon the the largest area to be seen without a dead fish floating in it was about the size of a queen bed.

I stopped by the pond this afternoon. I watched for about 15 minutes and did not see any surface activity.

S
S
ghoti, my fishkill sounds a lot like yours. Two weeks of 95-100 degree weather, followed by a rainstorm that filled the pond with slightly muddy water, then a few cool, cloudy days. We had good growth of planktonic algae before that, making the water green in color. After, the water turned brown and the fish started dying. I have a small pond (1/2 acre) so 15 catfish and 15 LMB is a big deal. Worse, I don't know what I could do next summer to avoid such a chain of events and another fishkill. I guess I will call in a biologist from the local fishery for a consult. Maybe I should have been more diligent in keeping all the algae minimized rather than being glad it wasn't filamentous algae mats.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Aeration, will help prevent that type of fish kill.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Aeration will help but it won't overcome ignorance. An expensive aeartion system not used because it costs $20 per month. How much would that have been per member?

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 08/16/11 05:32 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
L
L
You are 100% correct DD1. And the better question is what will it cost to repair the damage caused by NOT running the Aeration system? I guarantee that by the time you add up the cost to restock a 10 acre pond and the time lost for them to grow back to there previous sizes. (Bass to 6lbs) That $20mth will seam like a bargin. Do they plan to run the aeartion going forward? and how does this affect the rates if theres no fishing for the next couple yrs?

Last edited by L.W.J; 08/19/11 08:51 AM.
B
B
Ghoti,

Sounds to me the cool rain hastened the turn over which would have happened any way from just cutting on the aerator and walking away.

If the lake is real deep all diffused aeration equipment needs to be "broken in". Run the aerator for a small amount of time per day for a week and then increase the time every weeks that follows.

I agree on killing of the rest of the lake before stocking again.

Brad Vollmar
Vollmar Pond and Lake Management
www.texaspondmanagement.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump