Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy, bmo
18,513 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,987
Posts558,213
Members18,514
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,566
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
6 members (FishinRod, x101airborne, Boondoggle, esshup, catscratch, Dave Davidson1), 1,022 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
Ok I am new to all of this and in the recent weeks my pond has gone from bad to worse. The pics below show what is covering my whole pond pretty much. I have 500+ BG stocked and 5 full grown grass carp stocked last year by previous owner plus a couple LMB that I have seen. I recently put 7 more grass carp in this year to clear out alot of the bottom weeds that were running rampant. The pond water level is maintained by a well pump that I turn on when the water level gets low due to no rain and this Alabama heat. The pond is approximately 3/4 acre and ranges from 2-8ft deep is what I was told by the previous owner. The water has always been crystal clear which is why i am figuring my weed problem is so bad. Waiting on more LMB from fishery but they said they need to grow them cause I need bigger ones since the BG are so out of control now. So that leads me to the original question will aeration help this problem with my weed issue and if so will this system suffice or would I need something else. www.airconditioner-portable.com/ekbs-15.html
If that won't work can someone please point me in the right direction as this is getting out of control quickly and I really don't want to use chemicals to control this. So far I have lost no fish that I have noticed. Thanks for any and all advice and help.

Attached Images
DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0005.JPG DSC_0008.JPG
Aeration will help, but that system will not. Talk to Sue Cruz http://www.vertexwaterfeatures.com/

She will help you. If you want a DIY system, look for RC51's system found on this forum. It should be about right for your size pond.

With a problem that bad, you need to be careful, but both Sue and RC51 can show you how to do it right.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Welcome.
Let me start off by issuing my usual disclaimer: There are far more knowledgeable people on here than myself. Heed their advice over mine.

Having said that, it looks like a lot of your weed problem may consists of some type of FA, or filamentous algae. I'm sorry to say that your grass carp will probably not be much help with that. I think you need to lessen the amount of nutrients available to the algae, usually by encouraging the growth of a more beneficial, or at least more benign plant(s). Hopefully someone will have suggestions for your area. you might also check into limiting the amount of sunlight penetration, through dyes, or preferably a good bloom. In the summer heat, with no aeration, that could cause it's own problems.

Aeration will probably help, but I feel you will need additional measures to get it under control. Yes, I'm referring to chemical treatment, a copper based algaecide. Again, in this heat, that can do a lot of harm also, if not done carefully.

I see lot's of BG minnows in your pics. Bass. Get Bass. Must get Bass now.

What about adding tilapia to control the algae? is that feasible for your location?

Last edited by sprkplug; 08/17/11 07:30 PM. Reason: added tilapia reference.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
spkplug is correct, air in your pond will help but like they say it's just 1 tool in the toolbox. Air will not do a whole lot for your situation right away as far as looks or control of your FA. It will hlep your D.O. in your pond and start to work on your mucky bottom. Your post sounded just like me 3 years ago. My pond is about 1 acre and clear as can be and full of weeds! smile Sound familiar? I have had air running for 2 years now and have 5 GC and still have a lot of Chara issues. Air is not a fix all tool. It helps for a lot of other things though as well in your pond. The whole key here is to try and control it before you get to where you are now and even then it may still happen you just never know. Even the experts have issues. Cause now it's to late for any kind of quick fix other than chemical. And most times chemical is only a temp fix too. Or maybe a big pond skimmer might do it. smile I have been using air and a bateria product to start helping my pond get rid of as much muck on the bottom as possible. It seems to be working but it's a slow process as well. GC will not eat that FA on the top of your pond. At least I have not seen or read of them eating it. Is this a new problem or have you been dealing with this year after year and your just tired of it now? If it's a new problem ask yourself what have you done different around your pond lately? Has something changed to make this happen? Make no bones about it air will help your situation, just not sure it will give you the quick results you may be looking for. One major thing I have learned in the last 3 years is this. When it comes to pond management "BE PATIENT" because nothing gets done to fast with a pond which makes since because if it got done to fast that could be a serious shock to the fish and fish dont like quick changes to their homes. Most times quick changes = dead fish. Highflyer mentioned my RC51 system as they call it. Do a search for it I am sure it would work for you if you like it. I am also sure Sue could help you out for sure too. She is an air system guru! Feel free to PM me if you like if you have any other questions about my system. I will be glad to help if I can. Good Luck!!

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks to everyone for all the help. To answer a few of the questions that were asked. I am waiting for the LMB because the supplier said I needed 12-16 in instead of fingerlings due to the current state of the BG population so they are waiting for them to grow to that size. But with the pond in the current state I would be scred to put anymore fish in there am I wrong in assuming that would be a bad thing.
I have only owned the property for about 5 months now so I have no clue how often this occurs to the pond. There were similar occurences since I purchased the property but never this bad.
I am gonna put the kids to work this weekend and skim as much off the top by hand as possible. Agagin thanks to everyone for the help.

3/4 AC LMB, BG,GC Tilapia
1/4 AC CC, BG, Hybrid CC
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Pulling the algae out by hand will be a lot of work, but it is even better than chemical treatment. You are removing some of the nutrients in the pond by removing the algae, which is a good thing.

Check into another fish supplier. Somebody will have larger LMB. You can't afford to wait a year+ for their LMB to grow bigger. You could stock Tilapia I think, but you'd need to put in roughly 30 pounds.

Keep at it, and keep asking questions. We'll get your pond on the right track and looking good!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
T
I am no expert. I'm only speaking from what I have learned on here and what I have done and observed in my own ponds over the past year. First off, you're in the right place for help!

I too purchased a place with existing ponds and have learned a great deal on this site. It definitely looks like FA that you are dealing with. I had the same problem last summer/fall where the mat covered nearly the entire surface at times. I had no clue on how to deal with it because I had never had a pond before. So, I took the boat out and started pulling out mats by hand to clear it off. It was alot of work but it did help. I tried the grass carp fix before I found out they don't take care of FA...

Over the past winter I began doing research and so far I have done two things that have helped keep the FA under control but didn't get rid of it. First thing I did was put dye in the pond in the spring and have added it as needed thruought the summer. This reduced the sunlight and made it more difficult for the FA to grow. Now, what I understand is that if you have a good plankton bloom it will do basically the same thing naturally.

The next thing was I installed an aeration system that uses components from Vertex. I didn't deal directly with Sue at Vertex, I dealt with Ted at Forever green. Since getting it up and running at the end of July I have seen improvement in the ponds already. My FA is limited to around edges of the pond and places it can cling to like cattails. I have no mats floating this year. Just like they said above, it takes time to gain control of your pond and reach your goals. A little saying I've used in more projects than one is plan, execute, measure, adjust and enjoy the ride!

I have yet to use any chemical treatment for the FA or cattail but next year I plan on implementing that into my plan for routine maitenance. This time of year and in the heat that has been in most parts of the country, if you were to kill all the algae using a chemical at one time I would fear that you may deplete the majority of your oxygen and end up with a fish kill.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that if it were me I would be making my plans for next spring now and do what I could to remove as much of the algae mat by hand to reduce the nutirents and the amount of decaying matter that will be in the pond this fall. I would also get bass in there ASAP.

Since putting in the aeration it has helped in other ways besides the FA. The fish are more active, the ponds look healthier, and since I have been running the system in the evening/night my water temps are cooler. Aeration isn't a fix all but it is a tool to help the big picture. Just my opinion.

Stick with it, you'll get it lookin good!!!!

A
OP Offline
A
Well after a weekend of rowing across my pond pulling a garden hose to pull the FA to the shore and then raking it out I have about half the pond cleared out. The good news is that I have discovered the my GC have taken a pretty healthy chuck out of what ever weed was covering the entire bottom of my pond cause I can see deeper in some places. So I am still working on the aeration system with aalot of help from people on this forum ( THANKS for the help and suggestions). So my next question is besides aeration what type of aquatic vegataion should I look into putting in my pond. Besides tha FA I have floating everywhere and whatever the plant is that is covered in slimy goo below the surface I have very squishy mud about ankle deep everywhere. Well besides the dozen or so tires and the 1 xmas tree that was placed in prior to me taking ownership. It's a .6 acre pond and I am guessing just muck and FA can't be a helthy enviroment for fish.
I am still trying to find LMB that will be suitable for my pond. the one supplier syas they still arent big enough yet. and Also told me that the tilapia wont be effective on the FA cause by the time they breed the waether will change here and they will die off before doing much. for those that posed those questions to me that is what I was told. If anyone else has any suggestons or guidance on things I need to do or improve to make my pond a better enviroment I would greatly appreciate it.

3/4 AC LMB, BG,GC Tilapia
1/4 AC CC, BG, Hybrid CC
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
He's right about the Tilapia. While there is still time in the season, I don't know if it'll be cost effective to stock them this year.

I just picked up 100 LMB that were 5"-8" long and in great shape. I'm sure there is another fish supplier down there that has them in the size that you need.

If the FA was covering the pond, then the reduced sunlight could have contributed to the reduction in rooted plants too.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jim Mabrey, Kavita Singh, Martyman, PondMutt, TJP84
Recent Posts
What made this noise?
by FishinRod - 05/04/24 10:46 AM