Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,115
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,419
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
3 members (esshup, Bobbss, teehjaeh57), 728 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
Our lake in the Texas hill country has gone from 7.5 acres to about 1.5 acres now. There is NO rain in the forecast. I think the deepest part is probably 12-13 feet deep right now. What can I expect? Is it at a point where the fish will start dying now or does it need to be 1/2 acre and 3 feet deep to kill them off? Anyone recommend something I can do?

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Are you aerating that water? I think that would be the best thing you could do for your fish right now.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
How exactly does that help?

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Well, you have your total fish population from your once 7.5 acre pond crammed into a 1.5 acre pond fighting for room, oxygen, food, etc... your water is concentrated as are all the nutrients. Your biological oxygen demand is through the roof ~ you are lucky you haven't had a fishkill yet...an aeration system will ensure that your fish can atleast use the whole water column of the water that is left...

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ashannon
How exactly does that help?

Hey shannon,

It helps because you will be putting more Oxygen into the water which will help your fish stay alive longer in this crisis. If you truly have gone from 7.5 to 1.5 and you had the fish capacity for a 7.5 acre pond you are in trouble real soon if you don't get any rain! Or any air in that pond to help your fish breath. Now your craming said amount of fish from a 7.5 acre pond into a 1.5 acre pond. They are going to run out of air soon I would think unless you don't have that many fish in the pond. You need to setup something even if it's temporary to get some of that water moving and get more D.O. in that pond.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I crammed 1/2 ac into 1/10 ac or less for a few months when I renovated my pond. I aerated and only lost one 8" BG.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Another benefit of aeration is the off gassing of the "bad" gasses. Remember, all of the natural processes are still in effect.

Aerations is about both adding O2 and off gassing the bad stuff, and when you are taxing your system, you have two choices, do nothing and take your chances, or get involved.

Just my two cents.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
It just seems like aerating is so expensive to get done. I dont want all the fish to die though. That's for sure. I'm going to do some serious research quick and pull the trigger on something. Thanks for ya'lls help.

R
R
It just seems like aerating is so expensive to get done.

I agree but search on here for RC51s homebuilt aeration kit. I believe he had about $350 into it and about the same results as a big money kit.

F
F
Is it just a drought??

Too diffacult to pipe water to the pond?

Are you taking advantage of this and adding anything, bottom structure, moving some dirt? make some more deep holes if that doesnt affect the sealing of the bottom.
Or even to put in new ariation at shallow spots on the lake.

Good luck, its better to have a pond going dry than no pond at all!!

Water is the basis of all life, by design!
S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
Don't forget to fish some out. Better in your freezer than floating gills up.

S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
Llano is a pretty tough area to have a pond. Rainfall, soil, etc.

While it's down, perhaps you can treat some of the exposed area for the next drought go round.

We normally have 44 inches of rain per annum and my pond is waaaayyy down. I am doing what I can to get silt out and stick it behind the dam.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: roadwarriorsvt
It just seems like aerating is so expensive to get done.

I agree but search on here for RC51s homebuilt aeration kit. I believe he had about $350 into it and about the same results as a big money kit.

Shannon here is a link to what RW is talking about. My system is good for about an acre to 1.5. At about 10 feet deep. I put it all together for about 350 bucks. It took some effort on my end though. There is another link in the air section area called Air complete with pics you can check that one out too. It whould be a good temp system for you in case of emergency like your in now. It would not be good enough though when you are pushing 3 plus acres without adding to it. Time is not on your side at this point though.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Here's a few tidbits of advice to decide whether to aerate or not.
1) Aeration mitigates all the "bad" things which happen to water during drought.
2) Aeration stabilizies the water and its environment and the temperatures.
3) Depending how old the fishery is, there are some economical concerns. To restock properly, if you have a 100% fish kill, will cost $400-600 per acre, depending what you choose to do. For a 7.5 acre lake, that's $3,000+ (if you do it correctly).
4) A mature fishery, that's say, five or six years old will take...drum roll please...five or six years to replace. If you chose to buy the fish (assuming a fish kill), replacement cost for fish that age would cost $1,500-2,500 per acre, depending how good the fishery is currently.
5) If the pond is full of overcrowded, stunted bass and isn't a good fishing lake...a fish kill might be good.
6) If the drought extends and the fish don't die, here's what happens...they will adjust their numbers to fit the size of their environment. Big bass will eat smaller fish and all fish numbers will drop. Then, when the lake fills up, those fish will spawn like crazy and re-stock the lake.
7) Your decision should be based on how good the fishery is, how good your water quality is and how much money you want to spend.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Oh man Bob is right I never thought of it that way. I guess because my pond is only 1 acre. But 7.5 acres could be a LOT of money to replace fish if you have good quality fish in it right now. 1000 bucks on an Air system could be chump change compared to what it may cost to replace your fish. Man Bob do you do this for a living or something you sure are good at it! smile LOL!

Last edited by RC51; 08/08/11 11:19 AM.

S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
There are predictions that there will no appeciable rain in TX THRU October. Just another dynamic to keep in mind.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Our East Texas ponds continue to drop like rocks as well. we have been fishing like crazy on weekends and keeping nearly everything we catch. Last drought we lost a lot of our largest fish - so we have increased our slot size accordingly.

"Our Life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, Simplify" -Henry David Thoreau -
S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
Yessir, I'm just the other side of Fork from you. Starting to lose some large trees now. Sad.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
There is a reason that landscapes look the way they do

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Talked with my neighbor last night and she told me that fish were beginning to die in the smaller of her 2 ponds which is about 3/4 of an acre. This is the pond where I caught my personal record 7 pounder just a few months ago. I talked to her about aerating, but the pond is just too far from the house. She has been inviting others to fish and try to reduce the fish population. Of note: she said that the fish do not bite at all in the day or evening. They are only catching fish early in the morning at sun up. I am heading out there this weekend and am not looking forward to it.

"Our Life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, Simplify" -Henry David Thoreau -
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I haven't been to my place in 2 weeks but have to go this weekend. I'm pretty sure the forage pond will be dry. Don't know about the larger one but it has to be hurting. The last time I was there, the forage pond had about 16 inches of water and the bigger pond still had about 7 ft.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
Originally Posted By: Captain1
Talked with my neighbor last night and she told me that fish were beginning to die in the smaller of her 2 ponds which is about 3/4 of an acre. This is the pond where I caught my personal record 7 pounder just a few months ago. I talked to her about aerating, but the pond is just too far from the house. She has been inviting others to fish and try to reduce the fish population. Of note: she said that the fish do not bite at all in the day or evening. They are only catching fish early in the morning at sun up. I am heading out there this weekend and am not looking forward to it.

You and your neighbor may want to explore windwill aeration.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
I feel your pain!

My 4+ acre pond is now less than an acre of surface water and we have NO money at all right now! Even a $350 aeration system is out of our reach. Besides, there's no electricity there. I've looked into windmill aerators but they're out of my price range too.

Bad time for a drought! We're just expecting a fish kill. Even the beavers have abandoned my pond.

We're trying to remove fish but they aren't biting much. The ones we're catching look very healthy, though. My pond is totally covered in cover - not a square yard that doesn't have stumps and limbs and trees - so, seining is out of the question.

It's a very sad situation but all we've been able to do is check on it and fret about it. And, pray for rain!

If you're too scared to throw that bait where the fish are, why did you tie it on?
A
Lunker
Lunker
A

All those lush green grass areas in the photo were spawning areas this spring.

you can see from the water marks on our drain box how high the water is at full pool.

If you're too scared to throw that bait where the fish are, why did you tie it on?
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
I made the decision between aeration and a well, to get a well drilled and have been pumping some water in for the last few days. I'm hoping to just keep it at it's current level of water and add enough oxygen to keep the fish alive until the rain comes. We've got some great fish in there that have been managed for 10 years and I dont want to start from scratch. I just hope the new, fresh water will get enough oxygen into the 1 acre of water to keep it from turning over. We'll see if I threw the dice the right way smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails