Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,412
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, esshup, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 811 guests, and 213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#266344 07/30/11 07:05 PM
A
OP Offline
A
I have a 6 acre lake that has a 6 acre non flowing creek that leads to it. I'm trying to create an environment with some large LMB and plenty of fish for kids to catch. The LMB population appears to be healthy and growing and as of now, not over populated. I stocked 2500 CNBG and 500 RES in April...all 4 to 5 inches. I have two feeders. Before stocking, I had an abundant population of sunfish....GSF, I'm fairly sure.

So here are my questions....

Are GSF considered bad forage due to their poor reproduction?
Did I do anything wrong by adding CNBG and RES?
Could someone verify that the attached pictures are of a GSF and a CNBG. (I will have to the pics later)

Thanks and I look forward to some insight on how these fish will get along, reproduce, and provide food to the LMB!

Attached Images
GSF.jpg CNBG.jpg
Last edited by AlvordFishin; 07/30/11 08:08 PM.

The BEST investment I have made in my pond is subscribing to PondBoss!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The picture of the GSF is correct, and I believe the other one is as well. I don't know how to tell the difference between small BG and CNBG tho.

I think the stocking was fine. Do you have any idea what types, numbers and sizes of other fish are in your pond?

The only thing "wrong" with GSF is that they will compete with smaller LMB for food, and that they probably will not support a large LMB population due to their reproductive rate. You should be O.K. if the CNBG can get a foot hold and start reproduction.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
A
OP Offline
A
There are some crappie. My neighbor said he put 6 spawning females in there several years ago (my neighbor owns property around half the lake). So I catch about 1 crappie for every 75 LMB that I catch...they are usually 1 to 2 lbs. There are also several types of catfish in there. I catch plenty of 6 to 10 inch bass and they alway are at least 90 % of their relative weight.

Will the CNBG have problems establishing with all of the GSF?

Last edited by AlvordFishin; 07/31/11 07:13 AM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

Will the CNBG have problems establishing with all of the GSF?

Probably not if there is enough food. It may take a while.

Do you see the GSF at the feeders ?

Last edited by ewest; 07/31/11 08:03 AM.

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Online Content
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Here's what I think will happen.
First, the bluegill will become established. The redear might...if they have plenty of weedy habitat that harbors snails.
The green sunfish numbers will diminish over the next three years to the point that your catch rates of them will diminish to almost nothing. By then, the bluegill will have some nice sized adults, and based on your harvest of largemouth bass, bluegill numbers could continue to be in balance.
Here's why all this will happen.
Green sunfish, even though they have a larger mouth and can compete against fish with similar mouth size, only reproduce once a year.
Bluegill can eat smaller meals, ultimately depriving green sunfish the heartiest of meals. Bluegill, in Alvord, Texas, will reproduce four to five times yearly.
Bottom line...bass eat all year and when that young age class of green sunfish comes off the nest, their lives will be cut short by an expanding bass population.
Bluegill eat smaller items than green sunfish and they reproduce considerably more, so bluegills will have a long term dominance opportunity the green sunfish don't have.
Green sunfish are predators, limited by their mouth size and how large they can grow. A two pound bass will suck down a full grown green sunfish like my little grandson inhales a popsicle in this heat.
Speaking of which...if your pond evaporates and dries, all this advice is moot. smile

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Wow, that is a horrible bed time story.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
A
OP Offline
A
Bob....thanks for your insight! It's hard to tell since most of the fish at the feeders are 4 to 8 inches, but I think it is 80 to 90 percent GSF at the feeders. The creek and lake are only 5 years old...built for erosion control by the county but surrounded by private property.

I do see some rather large catfish at 1 feeder. I'd say some of them are 10 pounds but 95 percent of the fish at the feeders are sunfish. Both of my feeders are in the creek and water depths are between 8 and 15 feet but plenty of timber for cover? Does 1 of the feeders need to be in the lake?

Your right, it has been HOT and DRY! The water level has been slowly dropping, but surprisingly not as bad as in previous years. I think that's because it is finally sealing up since it's only 5 years old. I'd say it's lost 4 feet since the beginning of the year. The lake still is at 18 feet at it's deepest.

Last edited by AlvordFishin; 07/31/11 02:55 PM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hey neighbor, don't sweat the Green Sunfish. Like Bob says, they can't cut it when it comes to reproduction. It took 5 years for mine to finally go. However, I have some in a forage pond and am restocking them along with the BG and CNBG.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
J
If your lake is still 18 feet deep, you do not have to worry as much as some of us others about your lake going dry.

A
OP Offline
A
Wel I spent the weekend fishing with family and friends. My friends and I caught about 30 LMB all healthy and fat. My kids and I fished for sunfish with worms. The kids were pulling the in faster than I could take them off. I was surprised that most of their fish were BG/CNBG and not GSF.

I assume the CNBG have spawned once offside since putting them in in April? We caught a couple that were 6 to 8 inchesand plenty as small as 3 inches.

I'm posting some pics along with 1 of some BG beds. I think? The beds were in 2 to 3 feet of water.

Attached Images
Beds.JPG CNGB.JPG BG.JPG Bass.JPG
Last edited by AlvordFishin; 08/07/11 10:11 PM.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Those are spawning beds in the first pic. The second and third pics both look like native(northern) BG not CNBG.

A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the clarification on the BG pictures. I wasn't sure if they were CNBG or native. I only stocked CNBG but there were definitely plenty of other types of sunfish in there before I added CNBG and RES.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy