Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,956
Posts557,909
Members18,494
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,531
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
3 members (Dave Davidson1, catscratch, victortechy), 588 guests, and 172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#263448 07/01/11 04:22 AM
B
OP Offline
B
New to the forum, want to say hi to all, and the wealth of information here is incredible! I did a search and nothing came up relating exactly to the question I have.

The fishing is good no question on that, bass are big and agressive, no shortage of forage for them. Reason for wanting to plant some lilies is for a variation of cover and beauty. We have the typical cover, stumps, overhanging trees, downed trees ect ect. To say the least the bass are not complaining, theres a few 10LBers roaming I know for a fact.

During the summer, the ponds in question (both being about 3-4acres are moss covered, not terribly thick except the edges and coves) Which in my opinion isnt horrible, i'll still snatch them out of the slop with a frog, the bass dig it, but im sure they'd dig some lilies as well. Hence my question. How does one go about planting lilies in a pond?

I've researched the better varieties as far as invasive and leaf cover, we are plenty capable of keeping them in check. Do I wade out and plant them? If so how deep and how many to fill lets say a 40 ft length cove, by about 20ft wide tapering from 1'-6' deep. I'd prefer 2 colors.

Should I establish and transplant or just plant straight from the get go in the pond? I'm new to this as you can tell, i just want something other than moss as a topwater cover in a cove or 2. As i stated the coves are about 5-6' deep max. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome to the forum! There's really only 2 varities that are local to your area, spatterdock (Yellow) and the Fragrant Water Lily (white).

Both are considered invasive. You can plant the tubers in roughly 3' water depth and they'll spread to their preferred depths.

But, with hardy lilies, you won't have the manual removal problems that will be required 5-10 years down the road. The wild invasive lilies are cheaper in the short term, (you can transfer wild plants) but be VERY careful on how you clean them before putting them in your pond. If you figure in the removal costs long term, (either manual or chemical) the hardy lilies are cheaper. I wouldn't take any from a BOW that has any other plants (Eurasian Water Milfoil, etc.) that you don't want in your ponds. My feeling is that no matter how well you clean them, there's the risk of bringing some of the unwanted plants to your pond.

If you want to go the Hardy route, I can send you a PM (Personal Message) on at least one supplier that is reasonably priced.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
We planted non-native, non-invasive water lillies, - pink, red, yellow, and white. They bloom beautifully and spread slowly. I work them into the mud and placed a brick on each tuber. I just pulled up pieces of these to put in a newly constructed wetland this past week. I do not subscribe to the religion of only planting natives. As essup mentions, the two native species are invasive. For an authoratative discussion of natives vs. exotics see the June issue of Nature (page 153 under Conservation; Don't Judge Species on Their Origins, by Davis et al.). It points out that strict adherance to planting natives for conservation purposes is misguided.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
As reference and from experience (hard knocks) the wild native white waer lilies (rarely some with light pink hue) will easily spread into and completely cover your 20X40 ft cove in about 3-4 yrs. From there they will fairly rapidly spread into the main body of water to depths of 8ft deep. Spatter dock doesn't spread quite as fast but after awhile will encroach into depths of 9'-10ft. The lilies seem to have a clearing affect on the water facilitating their spread.

There are some dwarf hybrid hardy water lilies that will only grow to 2'-3' deep and spread very slowly. Those or the other small varieties would be best for the cove. Use the medium and large varieties in the main pond where depth spread can be from 3'-6'ft deep.

If you want to read more about using hardy hybrid water lilies for ponds buy the back issue of pond boss magazine Jul-Aug 2010 for the article (Hybrid Water Lilies Part Two by Bill Cody). It provides some background, benefits, blooming, fragrances, burning of some varieties, rhizome features, choosing varieties, planting, transplanting and dividing. Part One of the story (May-June) talks about all types of lily like plants in ponds many of them not being suitable for ponds.
http://www.pondboss.com/store.asp?c=9
Pond Boss Mar-April 2010 is part one and discusses water lily look-a-likes (uaually problem types), tropical water lilies, and some features of hardy hybrid lilies.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/05/13 08:18 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks great info! I know that lilies can be a beast to maintain, but the moss/duckweed runs the show right now as far as water plants, im not an expert by any means. And i think some of it already is the dreaded eurasian water milfoil not a ton but some looks like it. Most is duckweed and 1 of 2 types of algae either filamentous algae or planktonic. Pretty sure its (filamentous).

The Algae stays around the edges of course where it gets enough sun to do its thing. The Fish are good, they arent in danger of oxygen chokeout, i mean its great great bass fishing. When pretty much every bass you snag in a day is at least 2Lbs and up from there, not saying you dont have your dinks but thats a fishery.

I'm just looking to clean it up a bit and add lilies and very few cat tails. I'm more so thinking next year before i do this, mainly Lilies will have a harder time starting if they dont have light penetration because of the duckweed correct? I do know i need them to be below the freeze line.

This link here will give you a good idea of what it looks like during the summer, its nowhere near as covered, plenty of open water, it's depending on the wind and where the current shifts the weed in question. The warmth is what really kicks the growth in gear. Which is obvious sorry for stating it.

http://aquaculture.ako.net.nz/2008/03/05/duckweed/

Ill be sure to take a few pictures, when im out there next, which is usually at least once a week. To give an idea of exactly what im speaking of, and the 2 coves i'm talking about.

Esshup by all means send me a message with those, im located mid-west IL about 20mins from the mighty Mississippi if that helps. Sorry I have somewhat of a novel going here, i just want to do my homework, and read, reread and read again before I make this move. As far as choices, care and maintaining them.

Thanks again for all the advice and knowledge from those who actually know what they are talking about!

B
OP Offline
B
Beautiful stuff RAH thats what im shooting for, Thanks to all for this info it means alot! Think i'll be a subscriber here soon, and will be picking up those back issues Bill!

Thanks Again!

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Biggest problem that I have had establishing water lillies is critters eating them before they establish.

B
OP Offline
B
Thats why im thinking next year, I get them going to a decent size then move them in. This pond has no shortage of painted turtles, and i know they would love to have a feast on them. But i also dont believe that they have a shortage of food either.

So basically, its ok to plant them directly subsurface in 3ft of water? right in the pond bottom? Is anchoring a well packed bottomless pot or peat pot a bad idea? I'm just looking to add them in a couple spots, otherwise besides the duckweed situation, i would prefer to leave it alone, the algae i speak of isnt so bad, the bass do hide out in it, so they do enjoy the cover to ambush frogs, because they bust it like its their job, which it kind of is lol.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I have a friend that keeps all his waterlilies in pots in the pond to control spread. He has great luck. Chicken wire around the starts until they establish works good at keeping the plants safe until they get going but looks ugly.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I wouldn't start cattails. A buddy did 2 years ago and just last year his stance was (I like them over on the other side of the pond. They aren't bad at all!) This year his stance is "They're a PITA and are trying to take over the whole pond. I don't care if I take out some of the marginals along with the cattails, I'm going to nuke them all with glyphosate."

Right Mikey??? grin

And just today he said he wanted to plant White Fragrant Lilies. I'm going to wait a couple of years and say "I told you so!" laugh (again laugh laugh wink grin )

I'll dig up the info and send it to you via PM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I pull every cattail that volunteers. Someday when all my other plants fill in, I may let some get started. I think they are better at colonizing and have more trouble when other plants are already established. The cattail-looking plants in my photos are giant bureed.

B
OP Offline
B
I'll wait on the cattails, they arent the kind of fishable cover im looking for anyway, they were more of a "look/beauty" idea than anything. The lilies im going to do, just choosing the right strains, is my next battle. What kinds are featured in the pictures you posted RAH? Those look great!

I dont understand cattails, some places ive been they seem to stay where they were put. Others they are all over. Probably monthly pluckings get that done. I just had them in mind for being right next to the bank behind the lilies after the lilies were established., for a sort of back drop look. Maybe im thinking too much like a bob ross painting here.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I think that there are different kinds of wild cattails (narrow leaf, broadleaf, and a hybrid). I think that they have different tendencies toward spreading. I bought my water lillies from Lowes. The whites, pinks, and yellows did well, but the orange did not survive. I was later given more waterlilies from a coworker. Many looked like the same ones that I had, but one is a very nice red, but it is much slower growing. The pinks are the largest plants. Once the lillies get going, you can split off tubers and spread them.

F
F
I just ordered the back issues - part 1 is actually in the March/April 2010 issue. RAH - your pond is inspirational!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by catscratch - 04/23/24 05:34 AM
Happy Birthday Theo!
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:35 AM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:34 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:33 AM