Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy
18,514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,263
Members18,515
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,574
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
7 members (FireIsHot, FishinRod, Boondoggle, bmicek, catscratch, Sunil, Ponderific2024), 1,127 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#265546 07/22/11 11:47 AM
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Ok here is an area I really don't know anything about. So I am asking.

I have a pretty decent amount of watershed and under ground wet water springs on one side of my pond in the woods. There are a decent amount of trees all around the area but most of them are pine and a few Hickory, but I have no grass or plants on the watershed. Which leads me to this question.

Can I plant grass in my watershed area to help with my nutrient issues? Or will that even be worth doing? I would say 40 to 45 percent of my watershed does have farm land around it with cows from time to time. They can't get to my pond but they are near by with in 50 yards. Would the grass help. I figure I could just plant it and let it grow like crazy. I wouldn't need to mow it really cause it's in the woods in my watershed area anyway. Or is there another plant I could plant that would be better than grass? Something that is low maintenace?

Thanks for any insight on this.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
RC, I would imagine getting grass established in your watershed would be HUGE for the betterment of your pond. Reduces the sediments that would wash in and lengthen the life of your pond that way. Plus, as you noted, reducing the nutrients that could enter from the livestock. I don't know what grasses to suggest for you, but put me on the side that thinks you're on to a great idea to improve your water.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Omaha
RC, I would imagine getting grass established in your watershed would be HUGE for the betterment of your pond. Reduces the sediments that would wash in and lengthen the life of your pond that way. Plus, as you noted, reducing the nutrients that could enter from the livestock. I don't know what grasses to suggest for you, but put me on the side that thinks you're on to a great idea to improve your water.

Hey Omaha thanks for your input! I don't really know what type of grass to use either?? I would think something hardy and something that can grow in the shade as there are tree tops above blocking the sun on most of it. My thought was if I could get the right grass growing over there then I could just let it grow like mad and get thick as I don't do anything over there anyway! Thanks

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
RC, check this out, see if it helps or at least gets you pointed in the right direction.

Quote:
Grass in the shade is not easy as you have found out (if it was, it would be in all the domed stadiums around the world, including the Metrodome.) That being said, the keys here are choosing the right grass and then maximizing the sunshine and air circulation.

There are only a couple of choices for best shade grass in your area. If you have irrigation, the best choice hands down is supina bluegrass. It even spreads in the shade. However it must have moisture and it is expensive as it is not grown in the US. It can cost up $40/lb, and if the seeding rate is 2.0lbs /1000 ft2, you can get expensive in a hurry. If you go this way, one alternative to cut costs is to buy perennial ryegrass as a companion crop and mix at 90/10 P. ryegrass to Supina. The supina will spread throughout the lawn as the ryegrass dies and you will have a nice lawn soon.

If you do not have water, then you need to choose fine fescues for the area. These do quite well in low light and persist in dry soils without much fertility needs.

The trick with all shade grasses is establishment. This is where thinking ‘maximizing sunshine time’ comes into play. Circle mid-September on your calendar as this is the time when we want to establish the grass, just before the tree leaves turn and fall off the trees. We want to use the late fall for growth and then the sun from early spring to get all the growth we can before the tree leaves comes out and rob the sunshine from the grass again. We center our fertilizer schedules on these time periods as well. This way we are not fertilizing a grass in the shade when it needs sunshine with the fertilizer to complete its growth cycle.

Finally, if there are areas where you can prune a few branches and improve sunlight, this is a worth effort. Also, all efforts to clear underbrush and allow air circulation will be rewarded by better turf as well. Sunshine and air movement are the keys.

Again, thanks for the question and let me know if you have more.

Respectfully

Trey Rogers
The Yard Doctor

I found it here. Of course, they're not giving advice to pond owners so we have to keep that in mind.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you aren't going to mow it, why not a type of switchgrass? It grows a couple of feet tall and is good habitat for critters if it doesn't get too thick.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Esshup, he would have to be careful which switchgrass he obtains right? I'm reading up on it a bit and there are quite a few varieties, some that get 8-10 feet tall and most requiring full sun.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey guys thanks, I was thinking of a fescue myself. Its easy and doesnt take much management. I have never heard of switchgrass? I would have to read up on that for sure. Any good link you know of that I could check out?

thanks

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I don't know of one specific article. But, try googling "switchgrass for habitat improvement".

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
Detective Erika
by Boondoggle - 05/05/24 01:03 PM
My First
by x101airborne - 05/05/24 07:39 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by esshup - 05/05/24 07:18 AM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 05/05/24 07:16 AM