Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 838 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Very nice RT. You will love the view.

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Brettski
Well RockyT, that is indeed an extreme project to battle solar problems. I hate to see it happen to such a unique and beautiful home design, but something tells me to hang tight and wait to see what that architecturally overactive mind of yours will come up with next. I mean that in a good way.
Is the sail cloth going to be something that goes up and down based on seasons?

Bski you don't have to fret over the sail panel anymore. They are gone. They just couldn't handle the 100 mph wind. I was amazed to wake up and find (5) 3/8 inch diameter eye bolts totally bent out straight. I talked to a couple of our stress engineers this morning. They estimated the wind load on the sail generated something like 60000 to 84000 lbs of force. I guess I'm glad the eye bolts yielded. Could have pulled the end of the house out. We lost several big windows on the west side but all in all we were blessed. Many people in the area lost their entire homes. The new home was unscaved.

Last edited by rockytopper; 04/12/11 02:10 PM.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: rockytopper
They estimated the wind load on the sail generated something like 60000 to 84000 lbs of force.

shocked shocked
Sunil could'a hung onto it; he pulls mile-long freight trains at the county fair for free corn dogs

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yikes! Straight line winds or the rotating kind? I hope nobody was injured in the storms.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: esshup
Yikes! Straight line winds or the rotating kind? I hope nobody was injured in the storms.

Hard to say. There were confirmed naders in the area. What surprised me yesterday was I realized our patio chairs and table were still on the dock only feet away from were the sails were. In the past the chairs and table have blown off into the water in high wind. They hadn't even moved.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Quick update we are apparently very lucky. Yesterday afternoon I was at the new house cleaning up construction materials and happen to notice that all of the back porch post were pushed inward about 3 inches off there bases. The framer had them squared up on the porch ancors but had not nailed them in place yet. If they would have come off the entire porch could have collapsed.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Good catch RT.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Hey RockyT....I'm Jones'in' for an update....whassup?

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I am going to blow your mind soon enough Bski. I have been so busy playing trim carpenter that I have not had time to post. You can relate to that I am sure. I am real stoked on what we just pulled off for the boulder stack in the swimming hole. We created a spiral stair case out of large flat stone and then placed a 6 inch thick by 8 ft long flat sand stone that is canilvered out as a dive platform. We are going to lock it all together with concrete latter this week. The house is almost complete I will post plenty of pics to rap this thread up. Your place is looking great a masters work as all your stuff is. Here is a small teaser

Last edited by rockytopper; 07/13/11 03:49 PM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hey Rocky; need any good sized rocks?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Hey Rocky; need any good sized rocks?

Yes Dave I can always use more rocks. Guess thats why my mother named me Rocky. I hope to get up your way one of these days.

Here is my lastest pile of rocks. We will be pouring concrete around them and then I will stain it to blend in with the stone for a more natural look.

Last edited by rockytopper; 07/14/11 08:53 AM.

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Here are a few exterior pics of the almost finished residence. Including the multi use garage/patio area.

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
These are a few highlights of the interior. We went with granite counters and ash cabinets. One of my favorite items is the hidden door book shelfs we installed in 3 places to access the attic area. The entire inside is trimmed out in rough red cedar.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Wow, you don't do anything small-time, do ya. Your garage/patio/all purpose room is nicer than most living rooms.
I repeat...Wow!

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
These are a few pics from the master bedroom, bath and closet area. A cool feature which I cannot take credit for my boss came up with the idea is the windows we added in the interior walls of the double shower to capture the natural light of the exterior window in the shower. We used decorative "rain" glass. I still need to trim out the exterior side of the windows with a picture frame to finish it. The closets have 10 foot ceilings so we were able to have 3 rows of hanging rods.

Last edited by rockytopper; 07/14/11 08:58 AM.

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Thanks Brett I hope this will cure your withdraws for a while.

I did go with a coil all aluminun slat door for the patio area it is scheduled to be installed next week. Then I will try to tackle the barn doors I built which are still standing in my shop.

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
And last but not least Jeff this is for you. I know how bored you get with this girly house stuff so here you go. The hotrod is getting a little mag time. I raced in the local goodguys autocross and caught the eye of the PHR editor. I never thought it would be featured in a magazine but it is suppose to be on the stands in the next few months. It is in the August issue of PHR highlighting the race event at this link.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/events/...INTERSTITIAL_15

They did the photo shoot a few months ago in Waco Tx.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
DAMN that's what I'm talking about. PHOTOS under the hood please. Please let us know when the PHR issue is on the streets, I'd like to buy that magazine! Respect for driving your car like you stole it. That's how I treated all my hot rods - they aren't museum pieces. ROCK ON!

***Temporary house/ghirly stuff ON***

Absolutely beautiful Rocky. I love the wood/rock exterior, and the kitchen WOW.

The bookcase that hinges open - where does that lead? Or am I looking at the photos wrong.

Jeez I love this project!

****Temporary house/ghirly stuff OFF***

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
As you wish & the doors lead into the attic spaces for hvac service and storage areas.

FYI the car is so fast you can't even get still frame of it when it's moving.

Last edited by rockytopper; 07/14/11 10:10 AM.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Damn and here I thought the secret door would lead to a Speak Easy or something. laugh

Love the LS1 F85 and the Rocket on the engine covers. Damn Rocky you do stuff right!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Two thumbs up for the house AND the car!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Very nice job RT. The stone work is outstanding (house and pond).

BTW how did the shop door work ?

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
E I will let you know soon. I have been busy trying to get the interior finished. As I stated above I have went with a commercial all aluminum coil slat door with operator & remote for the main door. I plan to install the first sliding door in the next few weeks and if it works out I will fabricate and install the second one. If not I will go with light duty manual coil doors as a back up plan. My only concern about the sliding doors is the wind load they could recieve. Generally they are hung on the outside and therefore are supported by the building when the wind blows. These are on the inside and I am still thinking about how I will insure they can handle a heavy wind force. It should not be an issue if they are fully closed I will be supporting the latch side completely form top to bottom. If they are left partically open they are only held by a single stay roller on the bottom. I got a little gun shy after the twister came thru here a few months ago.

I would also note that breeze ways really do work. It is amazing the air flow that generates thru this area. It has made it real bareable to work even in the 100+ temps we are getting.

Last edited by rockytopper; 07/15/11 09:29 AM.

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
The rock pile is complete just need to stain the concrete and pray for rain.

The shop door was a tight fit but we manage to squeeze it in. It turned out very clean installed so I have decided not to box it in.

The front entrance side walk

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Just another spectacular RockyT creation. Man, it came together quickly. Did you hire out a buncha subs, or did you have incredible family support?.....or both?
-
Ranger looks like he just saw a yard gnome

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build