Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,976
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
3 members (jmartin, Pat Williamson, catscratch), 1,204 guests, and 350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Tavo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
HI,

I'm working on a new 1/2 acre pond in Southeast Texas, near Houston. The pond is currently dry, hopefully it will eventually rain again... I was looking for stocking suggestions, the objective for the pond is for my kids and myself to be able to have fun fishing!.. Kids are young, so not a lot of patience. I will also like to be able to have fish big enough to eat them at least twice a month.. Any suggestions?, thinking of catfish and bluegills..

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
There was a PB article last year I believe, about an overpopulated LMB pond. The LMB were stunted, but super easy to catch. A lot of fun for kids. And when you have too many LMB you tend to get some nice trophy BGs in the mix. This might be something to consider, along with a few CC for the table as well.

T
Tavo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I'll check the magazine for more info... I'm new at this, so how can I achive a heavy LMB pond?, I'm assuming starting with some minows and BG, then add some LBM later?... What numbers should I start with?..

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Article Omaha was talking about is: Article #5. AFTER WORK QUANTITY. By Mark Cornwell in it he explains the benefits of having and producing a quality bass fishing pond utilizing smaller bass.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=242805#Post242805

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/08/11 03:45 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Wait for someone else to chime in whose actually achieved this, but basically I would overstock your LMB. Don't stock BG before them because that will have to reverse effect of what you're looking for. The BG could overpopulate and stunt instead. The small, always hungry LMB will hammer your smaller BG. When you stock your BG I would stock larger fish to they avoid predation. As far as numbers go, I'm not sure since I've never done it myself, but maybe 150 LMB? Again, wait for more feedback on this plan. Love your idea of a kid pond though and hope to do the same in the future.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I tend to agree with Omaha, although there can be several opitons available for stocking.
Option 1 - stock your LMB fingerling 2"-4" first in spring or fall. Let them in there a few months then stock BG although BG may have to be the next larger size from 1" to minimize predation. Stocker BG of 3"-4" would be more appropriate.
Option 2 stock 4"-6" bass with the 2"-4" BG. Stock slightly denser for LMB (100/ac) and slightly lighter for BG (100-250/ac). Or stock 2"-4" LMB and 1"-2" BG same numbers.

Option 3 Stock HBG (300-400/ac) and LMB (100/ac), both pellet trained. Feed pellets. Kids will enjoy feeding fish as much or more than catching them.
Read the benefits of hybrid bluegill (HBG).
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=256325#Post256325

Others with experience in this area can provide more good ideas.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/08/11 04:06 PM.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Thanks for digging that up Cody! Tavo that is the direction I would go if looking to make a "kid friendly" pond. Plenty of action and plenty of food as well.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
If you are willing to feed and restock fish every couple years, IMO nothing beats a HBG/CC/HSB combination in a small pond. Fast growth rates, high turn over so fish generally don't get too hook shy, no chance of stunting or over population. All species are excellent table fair. There is the chance for a decent trophy fish and some good fight from all species. The key with this combo is the willingness to feed your fish and to restock fish every couple of years. All three species are readily available and fairly cheap from hatcheries in your area.

T
Tavo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Let me check the options:

Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
I tend to agree with Omaha, although there can be several opitons available for stocking.
Option 1 - stock your LMB fingerling 2"-4" first in spring or fall. Let them in there a few months then stock BG although BG may have to be the next larger size from 1" to minimize predation. Stocker BG of 3"-4" would be more appropriate.

So around 100 LMB in the fall around 2"-4", then 200 or so BG around 3"-4" in late spring... Do I need to supplement feed? or put some minnow for the LMB?. Will I need to replenish fish taken out or should they be able to sustain themselfs?

Option 2 stock 4"-6" bass with the 2"-4" BG. Stock slightly denser for LMB (100/ac) and slightly lighter for BG (100-250/ac). Or stock 2"-4" LMB and 1"-2" BG same numbers.

So option 2 is similar to option 1, but all stock at the same time?

Option 3 Stock HBG (300-400/ac) and LMB (100/ac), both pellet trained. Feed pellets. Kids will enjoy feeding fish as much or more than catching them.
Read the benefits of hybrid bluegill (HBG).
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=256325#Post256325

I'm assuming HBG smaller than LMB and at the same time?, HBG will need to be replenish? Minnows?

Sorry if this are obvious questions, but this is my first time with a pond!..

T
Tavo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
What numbers should I use in a 1/2 acrea pond?... How much food will I need?
I'm guessing replenish when half the fish has been taken out?...

Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
If you are willing to feed and restock fish every couple years, IMO nothing beats a HBG/CC/HSB combination in a small pond. Fast growth rates, high turn over so fish generally don't get too hook shy, no chance of stunting or over population. All species are excellent table fair. There is the chance for a decent trophy fish and some good fight from all species. The key with this combo is the willingness to feed your fish and to restock fish every couple of years. All three species are readily available and fairly cheap from hatcheries in your area.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
You should definately keep track of fish harvested and when the number harvested gets near the 50% mark then I would restock. Once a year restocking keeps several size classes of panfish present. Sometimes restocking of HSB &/or CC does not need to be annually depending on harvest rates.
Numbers. This will depend on how many you harvest and how much you or regularly you feed the fish. You do not have to feed the fish in a 1/2 ac pond, although feeding results in growing at least 3-5 times more fish and bigger average sizes. Keep in mind that the more you feed the more weed problems and lower water qualtiy you will have due to increased fertility from all the food inputs. I suggest that you start out slow and increase feeding and numbers after the sedond harvest season is completed. This will give you a little better understanding of what is going on in the pond in regards to plant growth and fish numbers.

For starters I would plan to feed no more than 50 lbs of fish pellets in yr one and maybe 100 lbs pellets in year two. I would add food 3-6 times per week. Maybe 2 cups to a quart each time. Since you have a small pond I would not use the cheaper fish food (32%) protein. I would use the Aquamax Carnivore food (bluebag). Start with the appropriate size pellet for your fish size. Fish farm where you get your fish will have a good pellet size suggestion. It is a little more expensive, but fish IMO grow a little better and will definately eat is a little better which will excite the kids and you!. Don't forget when using the feeding fish method it is pretty important to operate aeration to help maintain better water quality. It is not perfect but it helps.

It would be useful to know about how many fish you would like to harvest / yr; numbers of Small-low (25-40) medium (50-75) or large (80-125). Most of this harvest will be the panfish HBG/BG. I will let someone from TX area suggest good numbers to begin with. I know what I would do in OH. IF it was me I would start with two sizes of panfish (50:50) and smaller sizes of predators. Two sizes of panfish will provide quicker angling opportunities and not add a lot to the cost.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/09/11 02:12 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'd add a couple pounds to 5 pounds of fathead minnows as soon as you have a couple of feet of water in the pond. It doesn't matter what time of year you stock them, as long as you can find them to stock the pond. Then stock the other fish that were talked about.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
Tavo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I'm liking the idea of a HBG/HSB with a few CC for good measure...
The kids will be fishing and returning any fish that is not "eatable size yet", once they reach that size we will keep them!. How long does it take for the HBG with some feeding to reach a good eatable size?. That will dictate how many and how frequently I need to restock. I guess taking 10 or so every other week during the growing season...

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
In TX you should be able to grow HBG from 2"-3" to 5"-7" in one summer. If you start with 3"-5" they should be 7"-8.5" by fall. Someone from TX with HBG should verify these growth estimates.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
It depends on how large the HBG are when stocked. Assuming they are 3"-4" when stocked, about 1 year with a quality feeding program as described. The CC should be harvestable in 1 to 1.5 years and the HSB should be harvestable in 1.5 to 2 years.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Your growth rates for Texas HBG are about right Bill. Of course, I'm assuming a feeder and some starter fatheads.

I don't like bass in smaller ponds. They do over spawn and become easily conditioned/hook shy. When conditioned, they defeat their stocking purpose. No fun at all.

My overwhelming preferences for small ponds is HBG and CC with a feeder. Without a feeder, the fish relate food to human presence and become even more conditioned.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
Tavo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Will CC be enough to eat all the HBG offspring?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Should be and what very little the HBG produce will probably be mostly eaten by the other HBG.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
Tavo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
What rates would you recommend? Some FHM plus HBG and CC, and when do you recommend me to stock them?.. I will guess FHM as soon as possible, HBG and CC in either Fall or spring?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I think Fatheads can be stocked when you get about half full and when the water clears. However, I would wait until checking the alkilinity and PH to stock. In reality, if your water turns a little green, looks healthy, and has about 18 to 24 inches of visibility it's probably OK. However, getting it tested by TAMU is cheap and good insurance.

I would probably put in about 3 pounds of fatheads this Fall and wait until Spring to install 200 HBG and 50 CC. I'm not a fan of Fall stocking of larger fish. They seldom do much growing over the winter but Houston might be an exception. The problem can be in finding, transporting and installing stockers anytime but Spring.

The bigger question is just what makes you think it's ever going to rain again in Texas?

T
Tavo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I guess is just hope that it may all go away and the rain will come back!.. There is currently some rain in Beaumont hopefully it will make it all the way to Houston. One can hope
Thanks for the recommendations...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
All you need is one hurricane to make a wrong turn............

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 02:11 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:39 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:26 AM