Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,084
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE, Requa, Jason D, Jared015), 756 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#261934 06/14/11 07:27 PM
A
OP Offline
A
What other kinds of fish can you introduce to a pond with Chain Pickerel in it ( i know they are highly predatory) and that would be able to coexist with them? I am guessing some types of sunfish would be alright/doable and Salmonoids and yellow perch would be out/undoable but beyond that i have no idea. Would any of the following be suitable. Smallmouth Bass, White Sucker, Brown Bullhead, Koi and Goldfish, White Perch, Golden Shiner and fathead minnow, Muskellunge, Largemouth Bass, Weather Loach, red Swamp crayfish or Eel. Does it depend on Pond size at all or amount of Pickerel in the pond. Any info would be great.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey aaronmac,

Welcome to the PBF! Chain Pickerel if I remember right dont really get to big. About 18 to 22 inches give or take. At that size a lot of fish could get along with them to some degree. Larger Sunfish, Largemouth Bass would do ok. If you have a big enough pond to handle more than one predator fish. Pickerel are fun to catch given they get about 20 inches long or so but they have a lot of teeth! In order for anything to live with them I would think they would have to be at least 5 inches long or better. Any Golden Shiners and fathead minnows would be easy fish food for a Pickerel. I would thinky you could do the same thing as you do with LMB. Your going to need a fish and does a lot of spawning like the Bluegill. Larger BG would get along with them as well, and spawn enough to help feed the Pickerel. As far as how many per acre??? I have no idea. How big is your pond?

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
IME there are a number or species that can do well with chain pickerel(CP). The biggest question is, what are your goals for this pond with CP in it? More details about the species already present in the pond besides the CP would help. Other questions I have, are how big is it? Depth? Is it aerated? Are you willing to feed the fish? Do you live by it or it is a vacation location? Is there aquatic vegetation present, if so what species and what % of the pond is covered? These answers will help form a better response than just generically saying yes or no to a certain species...

Oh yeah, and welcome to PB!

Also, in my experience with CP in ponds, they tend to average in the 12"-14" range and the largest I grew was a hair over 24" and in the 4+ pound range. Don't expect them to control BG reproduction by themselves. They are poor sunfish predators IMO/E. They would much rather eat GSH, YP or even small bass. They just don't have the big gape like a LMB does...

Last edited by CJBS2003; 06/14/11 09:23 PM.
A
OP Offline
A
My main goal is a pond that i can do some recreational fishing in, i can pretty much do that with the Pickerel now but they are a fair bit on the small side so i was hoping i could add some type of forage fish to increase their size as well as add something else to fish for, add a bit of variety.The only other species present right now is Brown Bullhead.I have tried to introduce Yellow Perch (repeatedly)and its been a huge failure, have never even caught a single Perch. Also tried Speckled Trout unsuccessfully.The pond is near my house, i just bought the house 5 years ago. Its a relatively new pond, the owner only made it a few years before he sold the place, it was originally made to attract waterfowl. I am honestly not too sure about the exact size, its fairly big though, I will look into it. Used to have some pictures online of it, might try and see if i can find them.I would say though its around 10 feet in the deepest spots.I would say weedcover is still developing but there are a decent amount of good sized weedbeds around the edges. I am not sure what type, its some kind of pondweed i think. That and cattails are pretty much the main vegetation.I don't airate. Not opposed to feeding but i would rather introduce something which would be able to survive and spawn, sort of a natural type system.

Last edited by aaronmac; 06/15/11 08:24 PM.
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: aaronmac
Not opposed to feeding but i would rather introduce something which would be able to survive and spawn, sort of a natural type system.

Welcome to Pond Boss aaronmac, I would suggest Pumpkinseeds, and Golden Shiners.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I wonder why the YP have failed to take hold? What size were they when stocked? I would avoid bluegills. I like redbreast sunfish and would recommend them. Goldenshiners would be excellent forage for your CP.

An accurate size would be help, try Google Planimeter to help you get an accurate size on your pond.

A
OP Offline
A
Its a complete mystery as to why the YP haven't taken hold, I have tried perch of a variety of sizes including some fairly large ones (over 10 inches) but the result has always been the same. Never have caught one, seen one or even found a dead one. I may give Golden Shiners a shot but i am not terribly optimistic give the smaller size and soft body. It would be better if the Pickerel had become established after some forage fish were already present in the pond but unfortunately it was this way when i got it.Rebreast Sunfish sounds like a great idea. Have you ever tried Pumpkinseed and are they any good? How about Smallmouth Bass (younger fish could provide good food) or Koi (have heard they get pretty large so younger classes might provide good food)

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I have pumpkinseed and golden shiners in the pond to supply forage for the trout, they are hardy, especially if your pond is subject to very cold temps, they are also tolerant of low oxygen.

If your pond is prone to winterkill those 2 species can help make the difference, that's my 2 cent opinion.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Skip the koi... If you stock SMB, they'd have to be 8-10" plus. I'd consider getting your water tested.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
So what is wrong with Koi?

I have considered putting some in a pond.

Thanks

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Koi are just river carp (german carp) with color. All physical and internal features the same. Note the characteristic barbel at the corner of the mouth. They are also fertile and readily reproduce. A significant % of offspring are drab colored. Check it out. Carp are aquatic pigs, aquatic rototillers, roiling the sediments for food and muddying the water with suspended silt-clay. If that is beneficial for your pond management goals then there is nothing wrong with koi.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 06/17/11 09:23 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
A
OP Offline
A
I have definitely heard lots of things about how destructive they can be but I was wondering if they had a predatory fish like Pickerel to control their numbers and lots of cattails in the pond ( have heard they can make cleaner/clearer water, my aunt has a pond filled with goldfish and surrounded by cattails and hasn't had much problem with muddy water) whether or not they might be a decent forage fish. or could i even establish them in a pond full of Pickerel. It doesn't seem too likely but i figured i would get some feedback

Lunker
Lunker
If you like pickled fish, I have a quick and easy way to pickle those CP. You can pickle what you catch if you are into that and wean down their numbers. I would guess that the perch are getting whacked by the CP before you see them again. PM me if you need the pike pickling process

Good morning Dave, I've checked the ships systems, and everything appears to be running normally.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
How big of a fish can a Pickerel eat? One pond that I know of was winterkilled in 2008, and someone stuck some goldfish in there since then. Now they are 9"-10" long and 3"-4" tall. The majority of the fish are brownish colored.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I have to stock 10"+ trout in our creek or the trout become pickerel food.

B
B
i would not put largemouth bass in there if you like the chain pickeral i did it in my pond and the bass love to eat them.so now you can catch the chain but it is rare when i did use to have alot of them.a bass can eat a large chain pickeral and will do so i use them for bait for big bass here around my house in ga.chain pickeralalso like the taste of each other so once you get a big one any smaller ones that get around him he will eat them.

B
B
bg do really well with chain pickeral.i don't know about small mouth we don't have them where i live.

C
C
What are GSH?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday