Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,959
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
6 members (emactxag, catscratch, Sunil, KenHorton, Boondoggle, Bigtrh24), 1,151 guests, and 485 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
This is just a question I've been wondering about. It doesn't have any bearing on anything I'll be doing with my ponds. I'm just curious.

My question is basically: when they build big lakes, like lake Fork or Lake Palestine in my area, do they do a lot of dirt work to seal them like I've read about people doing for ponds on this forum?

I've read about membrane liners and compacted clay among other things that completely cover the area of the pond that's supposed to hold water. Obviously they aren't going to have a membrane liner for a huge lake. But it's hard to imagine the amount of clay they would have to bring in to line a lake the size of Lake Fork. But maybe that's what they do??? Does anyone know? If they don't bring in insane amounts of clay, why is it that the lakes hold water without a liner?

Maybe they only build lakes in places where the soil would already hold water and all that's needed is a dam. I'm clueless but curious.

1 3/4 acre, 1/2 acre, and 1/10 acre ponds in NE Smith County, East Texas.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Good question. My guess. Most of those type lakes are built on existing waterways (rivers , creeks etc) . Those water sheds having had water on them for years are more apt to have clay soils. The ones I have seen built did not haul in clay for the bottom. They pushed the best clay to put in the dam. The water control structures were concrete and steel.

T
Fingerling
Fingerling
T
they do a lot of soil testing before they build a lake. they do compaction test every 6", and they bore holes into the soil all through the core checking to see what type of dirt is there. some of these bore holes will go over 40' deep. they also bore holes away from the dam looking for the best material in the vicinity to use. after all this most of them still seep thats why they have pump stations all along the backface about 3/4 of the way down it. they pump it back into the lake as it leaks and can also tell how bad its leaking,if the leaks getting worse etc. etc. by the amount of water pumped back.

A
A
Simply stated, when they design a lake it boild down to a simple equation called a "water balance".

Lake Storage = input (stream flow in) - infiltration into the soil - evaporation into the air - transporation (what the plants drink), run off needed - downstream - any other outputs like irrigation. All of these are calculated using some lengthy calculationa and after some serious investigation but in general there it is. You can be suprised how much water can be lost due to these various processes. I know some lakes in my old home in MT loose 43 inches a year just from evaporation. I know work i did in Iraq showed 50 percent of water being consumed by uncontrolled plant growth. You can dam up a bunch of sandy soild all you want and never get water to stand in the pond/lake. There are cases where they built major dams just to have most the water move through a seam in the soil around the dam or under it (the need for a keyways is only part of the challenge).

Okay, enough nerd talk.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Welcome AK. We like nerd talk.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: AK Migrator
Lake Storage = input (stream flow in) - infiltration into the soil - evaporation into the air - transporation (what the plants drink), run off needed - downstream - any other outputs like irrigation. All of these are calculated using some lengthy calculationa and after some serious investigation but in general there it is. You can be suprised how much water can be lost due to these various processes. I know some lakes in my old home in MT loose 43 inches a year just from evaporation. I know work i did in Iraq showed 50 percent of water being consumed by uncontrolled plant growth. You can dam up a bunch of sandy soild all you want and never get water to stand in the pond/lake. There are cases where they built major dams just to have most the water move through a seam in the soil around the dam or under it (the need for a keyways is only part of the challenge).

Very interesting points. Seems kinda stupid but I never really considered how much water plants would consume.

Evaporation in our neck of the woods is a significant issue. It is not unusual for DIED and I to lose 60 to 80 inches during the course of our dry season.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Originally Posted By: AK Migrator

Seems kinda stupid but I never really considered how much water plants would consume.

only to some; wait til ya see Missouri Dave's garden....you're synapses are gonna flame out

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Brettski
only to some; wait til ya see Missouri Dave's garden....you're synapses are gonna flame out

Hopefully not, my synapses are only barely smoldering as it is.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
R
Lunker
Lunker
R

Last edited by rockytopper; 06/23/11 10:52 AM.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
You guys are asking all sorts of intelligent questions and making thought provoking comments. All I can think of is to wonder if AK Migrator's screen name really means that he's an arms dealer! grin

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Omaha - 04/25/24 05:34 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM