Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,959
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
5 members (Omaha, gautprod, catscratch, Theo Gallus, Lake8), 1,133 guests, and 441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Wade B. #502418 02/24/19 12:17 AM
S
S
Originally Posted By: Wade B.
We have done a number of phoslock applications over the last four years. Alot of discussion about alum but in our area (coastal SC) our waters are soft and alum is usually not a candidate. In one case we had a 2 acre lagoon 15+ years old, routine HAB boom and bust blooms and finally a fish kill (even with aeration). After testing phosphorous levels we did a complete reset, or attempted to remove all the phosphorous. We've had no HABs or treated algae in 4 years. Note this was not managed for fish but for aesthetics. Have also done partial phosphorous removal to reduce fertility. Yes phoslock is expensive but it works. Invest in proper water chemistry tests.

I'd like to throw some info in on this as Phoslock is one of the products I looked at when I started my research. I have the MSDS sheet for this product which until recently, was available to view, now it just says "proprietary" ingredients.
The reason this product doesn't work well in soft water conditions is because the buffering agent is Sodium Carbonate-zero effect on hardness because it has zero Calcium.
Thanks to Rainman, (Rex), I researched this until my eyes wouldn't work. I dug hard because Rex said to use Hydrated Lime instead of Sodium Carbonate (soda ash). I wanted to use soda ash because we had a pallet of it. I just needed to find the answer as to why Rex said Hydrated Lime only.. The reason is the hydrated lime is loaded with calcium. Not only is it a good buffer for acidic reactions of Alum, it brings the alkalinity up (increase hardness).
Phoslock can't (won't) do that.

loretta #502431 02/24/19 12:27 PM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Anywhere Phoslock will work, Aluminum sulfate/Hydrated Lime will work, and at a fraction of the cost. Phoslock is Aluminum Sulfate and buffered with sodium carbonate to counter the acid created by the alum....It is the reaction between the Aluminum and Phosphorus that creates Aluminum Phosphate to bind and render the Phosphorus unavailable as a nutrient

Snipe #502978 03/11/19 07:46 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: Snipe
Originally Posted By: Wade B.
We have done a number of phoslock applications over the last four years. Alot of discussion about alum but in our area (coastal SC) our waters are soft and alum is usually not a candidate. In one case we had a 2 acre lagoon 15+ years old, routine HAB boom and bust blooms and finally a fish kill (even with aeration). After testing phosphorous levels we did a complete reset, or attempted to remove all the phosphorous. We've had no HABs or treated algae in 4 years. Note this was not managed for fish but for aesthetics. Have also done partial phosphorous removal to reduce fertility. Yes phoslock is expensive but it works. Invest in proper water chemistry tests.

I'd like to throw some info in on this as Phoslock is one of the products I looked at when I started my research. I have the MSDS sheet for this product which until recently, was available to view, now it just says "proprietary" ingredients.
The reason this product doesn't work well in soft water conditions is because the buffering agent is Sodium Carbonate-zero effect on hardness because it has zero Calcium.
Thanks to Rainman, (Rex), I researched this until my eyes wouldn't work. I dug hard because Rex said to use Hydrated Lime instead of Sodium Carbonate (soda ash). I wanted to use soda ash because we had a pallet of it. I just needed to find the answer as to why Rex said Hydrated Lime only.. The reason is the hydrated lime is loaded with calcium. Not only is it a good buffer for acidic reactions of Alum, it brings the alkalinity up (increase hardness).
Phoslock can't (won't) do that.

I re read this and needed to correct some info here..
Wade B's comment that Phoslock "works good" there indicates that Aluminum Sulfate is just fine in soft water-That's the chemical that locks up the Phos..
Soda ash IS the buffer in Phoslock (only for pH stability-does nothing else).
Hydrated Lime is a much better Buffer for Aluminum Sulfate because it adds hardness/Calcium/minerals that the system NEEDS.
I'm 100% on board with Rainman here, just needed to clarify my statement above as the question came up about "Phoslock" in general. I have the original MSDS sheet for this product that the manufacturer no longer lists. Hope that cleared that up-pun intended.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Omaha - 04/25/24 05:34 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Lumberman1985 - 04/25/24 03:01 PM
Low Alkalinity