Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,988
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (catscratch, Boondoggle, Steve Clubb), 949 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
And I thought cutting brush was hard in this heat ! Hang tough RC and Dad.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest
And I thought cutting brush was hard in this heat ! Hang tough RC and Dad.

Hey Eric, I told Dad to take today off and recoop a bit. I am more sore today then I was yesterday. And of course we just have to have record breaking heat this year!! frown I don't think we had any 80's this year we went straight from 70's to 90 plus! Not mad though at least I am not 8 feet under water!! Or my house is not down on top of the next door neighbors house!!!

Last edited by RC51; 06/14/11 09:12 AM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Most of us have a lot to be thankful about. smile

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Looking great, RC!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Cabin Update,

Well I am sore, numb, I can't focus anymore and my brain is fried, just like Brettski said it would happen! Hey thanks Bski for the heads up. At least you let me know it was coming! smile

Anyway here are a few pics of what's been going on. The roof has been a challenge and took some time but we are about done with it. We only got a few rows left and then the ridge vent on top! Thank goodness!

Here is a front look of the fascia and drip rail on with felt on the roof. As you can see we still have to cut some of the felt on the left.

In this next pic you can see the left side of the cabin 95 percent shingled and looking good! We also finally got to take down the cat walk on this side. You can also see the OSB boards we are starting to put on the walls!!!

Here is the other side of the roof right near the top as well. We had to stop as the darn sun would get to hot and them shingles just get to mushy, but we almost got it. I want to say thanks to a buddy of mine his name is Eric for coming out and helping on Saturday! Thanks a bunch Eric for your help we sure needed it! Of course you can see the 3 inch vent on this side also. We haven't cut it down just yet and it will be painted to blend in once it's all said and done.

Then once it got a little to hot to work on the roof, we came down and started working on the walls. Got a couple of windows cut out and a few OSB boards on. Won't be long and we will be wrapping this baby I hope, and putting in windows!

Well that's it for now. We hope to get a lot done this coming weekend being hows it's a 3 day weekend for us. I'll update you all again as soon as I can.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Roofing in June/July/Aug is one tough job. Good progress - almost off the roof.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Roofing in June/July/Aug is one tough job. Good progress - almost off the roof.

use the ladder....when the time is right...don't wait for rain to chase you off
-
Looks great, RC.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
+1, the cabin is looking fantastic!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You're making a lot of progress. Looking good!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
That's great, RC! Congrats on the great progress! I love having threads like this to follow - it gives more purpose to my life! grin

Todd La Neve

R
R
RC51 the cabin is lookin good. I just want to know how do you get your freinds to come help you??? My freinds only come beating on the door or dialin up the phone when its time to go hunting?

Last edited by roadjoker22; 06/27/11 09:14 PM.

A weeks worth of vacation, 59 hours in a John Deere 160, 2 logs of Skoal, 1500$ in fuel, Lots of help from the neigbors and my old man, and a wife with an open mind to let me dig a pond at are cabin. All i can say is life is good!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Joker, I understand that. My phone starts ringing during September and October.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Another quick update!

Well first off I have to give thanks to my mom! She has been hard at it working on my front yard and pond edge for a while now and the other day when I showed up I couldn't believe what she had done! I will have to show you a couple of before pics first. Here in this pic notice the big oak tree on the left, and that you can't really see anything left of that. Even if it was in the picture more all you would see is brush and junk! I would say 35 percent of my pond or more you couldn't see because of how thick and full of brush it was.

You can see it better in this picture notice above the air station all the junk up in there! It was a mess to say the least!

Now look at the after pic!! All I can say is WOW!! It looks awesome! Notice my air station and the big Oak tree, and how you can see all the way over to the left now! The view is so wide now I couldn't even get it all in the camera!! It's just really great! Thanks a ton mom for all your hard work!! Your the best!

Now as far as the cabin goes! WE GOT THE ROOF DONE!!!! Man if I had to get on that dang roof one more weekend I think I would have just jumped off the high side and been done with it!! smile My dad called me and asked if I wanted to do the last couple of feet when I got up there this weekend to finsih it off, and I respectfully declined! I said no rather quickly and told him to go right ahead and finish it off! smile Here is the roof done with ridge vent. We decided to go with ridge vent instead of the turbines.

Here is the left side of the cabin.

Here is the front with all the OSB on. We did all the OSB this weekend so we are ready to wrap here real soon once we do some minor things like caulking and such.

And here is the back side where the 2 bedrooms will be.

Well that's it for this week. Next weekend we should start wrapping and putting on siding and windows and all that good stuff so stay tuned!!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Looks like a house now. What's first after the outside is done ?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
yep, the form of a house has surely come together...and FAST!
-
We also did the ridge vent. I added the gable fan with louvered vent, too. It makes a big difference in keeping the attic/broiler from smokin' the roast below.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Great progress RC, nothing beats family help.
Are you going to enclose around the bottom of the cabin or leave it open?, I enclosed mine with 3/4" pressure treated plywood.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Looks like a house now. What's first after the outside is done ?

Hey Eric,

We are going to try and get all the walls inside put up yet this month if we can. At that point we will be locking it up till this spring. Dad has to get home, and we both need a serious break from all this fun!!! smile Next spring (March) I would think we will be starting on the electrical first and getting wire ran in all the right places. Then insulation and all that good stuff! Dry wall frown can't wait for that ha,ha... And in the cathedral area we will be putting up tongue and grove spruce boards on the ceiling and on the top of the header and footer and we will be coving the drywall seems with a 3 inch strip of spruce as well. There is a TON to do yet that's for sure, but it's a good start for this year! I am happy with where we are and I am only about 1500 bucks over budget!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
RC,
I assume that you will wrap it with house wrap and install all the windows and doors before you quit for the year. Are you going to let it sit with only the house wrap, or is siding still part of this year's plan of attack?

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Brettski
RC,
I assume that you will wrap it with house wrap and install all the windows and doors before you quit for the year. Are you going to let it sit with only the house wrap, or is siding still part of this year's plan of attack?

Hey Ski you got it. We will be doing wrap, windows and doors and siding still. Then lock it up. I will update with that as we get it done.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Congrats, RC! That roof is a huge step. I agree with the others - your project has come along really nicely. Your folks deserve a serious commendation for their efforts!

Todd La Neve

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Boy have I ever enjoyed watching this process from RC's first post to building the pond of his dreams and now there's almost a cabin, too. Thanks for bringing us along every step of the way and documenting your progress - it will serve as a guide and encouragement for all of us out there!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Boy have I ever enjoyed watching this process from RC's first post to building the pond of his dreams and now there's almost a cabin, too. Thanks for bringing us along every step of the way and documenting your progress - it will serve as a guide and encouragement for all of us out there!

Hey TJ it's been my pleasure. I know I am blessed to have what I have, and this forum has givin me so much GREAT info and still does every day it's hard not to give back to something like that. Thank you for your kind words and thanks to everyone out here for being a part of an awesome family here on the BOSS!! I will have a couple more updates this month I believe and then will shut things down until next March, but if I can I will pick up this same thread once we kick back off in the spring.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Great progress RC, nothing beats family help.
Are you going to enclose around the bottom of the cabin or leave it open?, I enclosed mine with 3/4" pressure treated plywood.

Hey AP, I will be enclosing it with something?? Just not sure yet what I want to do. But yes I will have something around it when it's all said and done.

R
R
You are blessed with such supportive parents. If it were my cabin, I'd look in to filling in the bottom of the cabin with a stone veneer or something similar. It does get a little pricey though. Maybe even use real stone if you have a line on some.

Stone veneer

Last edited by roadwarriorsvt; 07/06/11 02:38 PM.
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey RW,

Thanks, and the veneer stone is a good idea. We are looking at a few things just not for sure how quote "enclosed" we want it. There are pros and cons to both type of bottom. As you stated a veneer would look great but being enclosed is a magnet for critters to want to get in and not leave! IE: mice, snakes, and who knows what else out in the great outdoors! A laddace type fence may not look quite as good but it's more open and I think would deter animals from trying to make my cabin there home! Plus you can spray through it too if you need to spray. So like I said just not sure yet what were going to do.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!