Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,132
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
12 members (Boondoggle, Sunil, Bill Cody, FishinRod, jpsdad, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Angler8689), 957 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
swimmer Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi Fellow Pond Lovers,
My wife and I bought a new place last summer, with a 1/4 acre, 8+ foot deep pond. The pond was certainly a large attraction in our decision to buy the place. The earthen dam had breached three or four years before, and the old owners did not fix it, so water continued to flow out the breach, taking more and more material away, leaving the pond level about 3' lower than normal.
We hired someone to fix it, who took approximately 100 tons of clay up the slope and filled in the void in the dam. As he did so, water continued to trickle through the clay at the repair site. He cautioned me to let it sit through one freeze-thaw cycle before adding any water, and then to add only about 6" per month, so that the new clay could saturate with water as the water level increased.
In late April I had someone fill in more of the overflow (which he had dug down to lower the pond level) raising the pond level 10". With the increase in depth, and therefore hydrostatic pressure, the trickle became more pronounced, but stayed pretty steady. In late May, I added about 6" more to the bottom of the overflow. With this increase in water level, the trickle became a flow, and in the last week or so, the flow began getting stronger.
Two days ago, I noticed it was getting alarmingly strong, and sought and found where it was coming from on the inside of the pond. About 10" below the surface, there was a 3" diameter hole, sucking water down at a steady rate. I put a large rock over it, and the flow started up again over to one side. I put down plastic and rocks, just to try to stop up the hole, which seemed to slow it down a lot- until this morning, when my wife came in to say that there was a huge amount of water going into a spot next to my temporary patch.
I stuck a 6" diameter pipe in that hole, so the syphoning action would suck air instead of water, packed clay around it, and then quickly dug out the overflow, lowering the water level below that spot.
Question: What now?? The clay in the patch was packed in by the guy driving his tractor over it. I don't believe that he did anything to key it into the old dam. Is there any possibility of doing a patch on the inside of the dam with Bentonite, extending below the old breach in the dam? Do we need to dig up the patch and do a better job of keying it in, or packing it down? Can anyone give me advice on what type of Bentonite product to use, and available suppliers? I live in Cortland, NY. I would also welcome referrals to contractors familiar with earthen pond repair.

Thanks, Swimmer

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Unfortunately I don't think any patch job will work. I believe the dam should be dug out, a core put in tieing it together with good soil outside the pond basin. The core needs to be properly compacted as it's replaced. That means proper moisture in the clay as it's put in place, and tamped down in not more than 6" lifts. Just "driving a tractor over it" won't do it, just as you found out.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people that can dig out dirt, and move dirt. It doesn't mean that they all know how to properly construct a pond or a dam.

Get NRCS involved and see what they have to say.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
J
I'm sure you don't want to do this for a dammed pond but when my pond was bulldozed as bermed pond I had a big leak through two broken tile that weren’t completely smashed and compacted. They dug down through the top of the berm to the tile and pored in bags of loose dry cement and compacted it with a backhoe, and that has held for 16 years.

S
swimmer Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for responding. What is NRCS?

Thanks, Christopher

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: swimmer
Thanks for responding. What is NRCS?

Thanks, Christopher

you'll need to find the office that is in the same county that the pond is located.

NRCS

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:57 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday