Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,100
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
12 members (FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Boondoggle, Layne, Dylanfrely, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure, Angler8689, Sunil), 702 guests, and 194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Ok I setup my system this morning and it worked like a charm! smile I am pretty happy. I set the station in 7 feet of water as I am about a foot low right now. The weighted tubing I got from Ted Lea worked really great! Below are some pictures. One thing that was weird though is I did not smell anything when I turned the air on. I figured I would get that horrible sulfer smell but I didn't! Not sure if that's good or bad but I did not smell anything.

Attached Images
Pump Complete.jpg Pump Complete1.jpg Bunch O Bubbles.jpg

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
looks great! I wonder if the dog will need his crate back?

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Coach I hope he don't need it back cause he ain't getting it back!! smile It's mine now. The container actually worked great for the size pump I have. The pump is sheltered and it has vents on the sides and back. I put the panels on the top of the post and the carrier for some extra protection from hard rains and if a branch or something falls from the tree above.

Last edited by RC51; 07/31/10 06:00 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Looks great. Keep an eye on the crate. Sometimes wasps like to build nests in them.....

Once you've used that weighted hose from Ted you won't want to use anything else.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Hey RC that's a great idea using that pet crate, if you need to work on it you can unscrew the top half.
Now I know what to do with the old pet crate we have. smile

Where did you get the diffusers from?

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey AP,

That's exactly why I did that! A few quick wing nut screws and your top is off. Plus it protects pretty good and has the venting on all the sides for you. This one was a cat carrier. I got it at a local pet shop here for 20 bucks. It fits our type pump real good!

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Nice Job RC, I like the way you mounted that, now you should bury that line so if grass should need mowed you can mow it, and of course, if you trip over it it may spill your beverage.....

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Great job RC, very innovative use of the dog crate!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Everyone,

I just watned to say thanks for everyone who helped me out with this project!

JoeG - Thanks for the heads up on the diffusers!
Adirondack pond - Thanks for the info on the Ecoplus pump!!
Ted Lea - Thanks for your emails and help with this project! And for your sweet weighted hose!

And thanks for anoyone else who chimed in and gave me some good info. I do apprecaite it all. If it wasn't for you guys I may still be just thinking about this instead of actually watching it run!!

Thanks to all,
RC

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
smile Anytime, PS Curious what pressure you are running.

D
D
What pump is that?

Is it just a air-compressor?

One acre pond built in 2007.

Stocked:
Mar 2010 500 BG and 250 Shellcrackers
Mar 2011 25 LMB and one bag of FHM

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Dieselscout80,

No it's a EcoPlus 7 linear air pump. Do a search for them. They work pretty good up to a certain foot range. I would not use them if I had to go over 10 feet though. My system is in 8 feet of water.

C
C
That looks good I like the set-up. We have 4 ponds that we are having a company out of Orlando, Fl design ours because ponds are 20 foot deep plus and we are going with windmill set-ups to save on energy. Ill post pics when we get it set up.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
RC - Please Keep us posted as the the life span of the compressor and how many hours a day you run it. We are interested.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/30/11 07:54 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Bill no problem. So far I have had this one since June of last year and been running it 6 hours a night. Last year I ran from June till mid October, and I will do the same this year too. This next weekend I will be going from 6 to 8 hours as well. This year I have had it on since Mid April. So no problems, but I will keep you all posted for sure!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
As a comparison of your units life span to a standard Gast Rotary vane, the rotary vane in my applications have been running for the same run times as yours but twice the depth (14'-15') for 15-17 yrs currently on the first set of vanes. Pump should last for 3 sets of vanes. There is a reason the EcoPlus 7 sells for less $. You got good value for the dollar if you can get 5 yrs on your linear compressor.

I recently learned something about the Eco7 pumps. An air flow guage was hooked up to an Eco 7. At open air flow, no back pressure resistance, the pump did great, even excellent producing 5-6cfm which is a very good impressive amount of air flow. Then the air flow was restricted to simulate water depth, as the resistance approached 2psi (4ft depth)the air flow volume dropped way down to 1-2 cfm. As more restriction toward 4 to 5psi was applied and the air flow dropped noticably below 1cfm. A call to the manufacturer and they said they do not have a flow rate chart for the various depths because they make this pump only for aquarium - aquaponics applications where depths are usually 12" to 16" and rarely exceed 2 ft. Greater depths put excessive resistance to the pump's mechanics/hardware. If one would see the size of the boil from an Eco7 and a pump with adequate pressure at 8 to 16 ft deep there is a dramatic difference in the size of the boil and amount of water moved resulting from the upwelling water and surface boil.

Some get good air flow and boils with diffusers at 7ft-8ft operated with an Eco7 pump. Note that there may be various manufacturers of the pump. Some pumps could have higher cfm at 7ft-8ft than other pumps. These pumps do not have air flow graphs of the flow vs pressure. Buyer beware.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/21/13 09:41 PM.

B
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
B
Looks like Star Trek wanta be. Sorry couldn't resist.

Last edited by Bossone; 06/06/11 10:04 PM.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
As a comparison of your units life span to a standard Gast Rotary vane, the rotary vane in my applications have been running for the same run times as yours but twice the depth (14'-15') for 15-17 yrs currently on the first set of vanes. Pump should last for 3 sets of vanes. There is a reason the EcoPlus 7 sells for less $. You got good value for the dollar if you can get 5 yrs on your linear compressor.

Hey Bill,
That's what I figure. I never said it was the best pump out there for sure, but for the money it's works pretty darn good. And if it last 5 years for 105 bucks I'll take that ever day!! We shall see. I will let everyone know if and when it stops working. I know AP has had one for a few years now that he runs all winter long and his is still running strong.

Later,

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Some aeration is almost always better than none.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Some aeration is almost always better than none.

Ok?? Not really sure what you mean by your above statement? Some aeration?? Do you think my pump isn't putting out enough air?? I have 3 - 9 inch fine bubble diffusers running off this pump at about 8 to 10 feet. Is there something I am missing? Versus your pump? No offense just asking is all.

Thanks,

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I think that was a general statement.. Just reading it as an outsider looking in.. I see your side too though, but I don't think it like that lol..

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 06/07/11 09:52 PM.

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
I think that was a general statement.. Just reading it as an outsider looking in.. I see your side too though, but I don't think it like that lol..

Hey BK yeah I didn't take it the wrong way. I actually am asking because I know Bill knows his stuff and am just wondering if maybe I am missing something. Or just being paranoid smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!