Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,988
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 802 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Looks great, RC! Keep working the day job - they're making great progress without you but with your money!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
Looks great, RC! Keep working the day job - they're making great progress without you but with your money!

Hey Todd yeah for some reason my Dad does like taking my credit card to Home Depot instead of his.... smile He gets to shop for free!! Ya gotta love that!!!

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
That's a sweet deal! Can you blame him?!

At least you have a long weekend coming up here - you'll get some quality visitation time with your card again!

Todd La Neve

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
How much are you paying him? Not enough I bet. Take time to smell the flowers along the journey. That time is priceless - trust me.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest
How much are you paying him? Not enough I bet. Take time to smell the flowers along the journey. That time is priceless - trust me.

How much am I paying him??? I am paying for all his gas, room and most of there food. My dad would never except anything from me for payment I don't think. This was something we wanted to do as father and son not contactor and owner.... Like I said though going to have to come up with something nice for him for Fathers Day for sure! I am enjoying the journey with him and my mom and I have a four day weekend comin up this weekend and on Saturday we are all going to get togehter with the grand kids my wife my sister her boy friend, and all of us are going to have a big picnic and grill some burgers and brats have a few brew's and make a day of it. It's should be great fun I will take some pics of that also!

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
You're already doing something nice for/with him.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
You're already doing something nice for/with him.

+1

Time spend with your Mom and Dad like this is priceless. Wait until you are done, then you will be making even more great memories with them.

The cabin is looking great!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Cabin Update Part 1

Ok lets kick things off this time with a few introductions.

First off, Here is my Mother and Father. Without them this cabin wouldn't be possible. They have been working with me now for 2 months and staying in a RV park in my camper. They live in Mesa AZ but have been here since April first helping me. Thanks mom and dad for all your help and sacrafice I appreciate it very much!!

Secondly we have my wife Lauri and our son Noah.
They were a great help on Saturday when we needed it for the trusses. My wife would help out more but she can't get away to much right now as we are also taking care of her mother and can't leave her alone at this point for very long. My son Noah was a real trooper helping carry them gable ends. Thanks Lauri and Noah for your help!!

Next we have my sister Crystal and her friend Thom. They just happen to come down at the perfect time to put them to work! grin Crystal and Thom helped out and ton and I don't think we could have gotten it done without them! Thanks Sis, and Thom for your help much apprecaited.

P.S. Thanks again for dinner too!!

Here we all are back at the camper having a little lunch. Hamburgers and Brat's anyone?? smile After we ate we went out to the cabin and started to work it off!!

Now for some cabin pics. Ok here is where I left off. This is the other side of the cabin wall done.

Here you can see the wall up nearest the pond and the 2 side walls.

Here is the view from the dinning room and living room windows.

Here is me putting in the last couple nails on the header board over the bedroom window all the walls up!!!!

Ok hold tight I will be doing part 2 of this update in a little while this afternoon so come back soon ok. Later

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Cabin Update Part 2

Ok here we go.
It was a long but fun weekend. We got a lot of things done and the cabin is starting to take shape! I am excited! The first pic you see here is of all the trusses and gable ends except the far one laying on the top of the walls and center wall.

Next picture here is of all of us working on getting the front gable end up and in place it was tough but we got it!

Here is my little trooper Brett picking up all the messed up nails we had laying around man he did great and had it done in no time. Thanks Brett you were a big help!!

Here is a veiw from the back with some of the trusses up and the gable end up in place. If you look real close you can see me up in the trusses hanging on for dear life putting them things up while balancing on a 2x4 wall. crazy

This next picture is a side view of the trusses going up. This took what seemed like forever to do. A lot of up and down and up and down and up... Well you get the picture.

Here is a picture of the front of the cabin from down at the pond. It's a WHOLE lot bigger looking with them gable ends on there!

Here is a picture from inside. I took this to show you that some of our trusses and one gable end are actually half trusses and a half gable end as the kitchen area is going to be cathedral ceiling along with the living room and dining room.

And last but not least. A picture from the side with all the trusses up and in place. Now we still have to build the center beam going from the center wall to the front gable end then we can put up the rafters and get to putting a roof on this bad boy!! smile Hope you all enjoyed the pics this week.

Last edited by RC51; 05/31/11 03:29 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Looking good.. Keep up the good work.. (I'm talking about Brett)

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
B
B
Nice. Looks like you had good weather and a helpful crew. Ain't family grand !
sean

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Your really roll'in RC, looks great, sure is nice to have many hands to lighten the load.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Way to go, brother! You guys are rockin'!

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Agreed; super progress, and nice work. What's on the HD shopping list for the roofing materials?

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey thanks everyone it's been tough but feels good when you reach a goal and it looks good.

Roofing material. We are going to use 1/2 inch 4x8 OSB 30 year shingles, and continuous roof venting instead of whirly birds on the roof. It's not the most expensive way to go but not the cheepest either. I am trying to keep this cost in the happy medium range and so far it's been working.

Thanks ya'll

R
R
I was looking forward to pics of the long weekend's progress. Looks like all of you busted arse! Great progress man!

B
B
Are you planning on using hurricane straps….cheap insurance.

Don't Analyze Your Pleasures!!!
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Great work RC and family ! Keep us up on the plans and progress.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Wow, tremendous progress, way to go RC and family!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey everyone well it was a long hot weekend to say the least. It's already 98 to 100 degrees here and guess what were doing? You guessed it roofing!! frown It's been a little slow but we been taking off about 10:30 a.m. or so and stopping until about 5:30 p.m. At least that way the sun isn't beating down on you! Man that is just unbearable on the roof!! Anyway I have a few pics to share so I'll get right at it.

This first pc is of me trying to show you all the 2 foot outriggers we put on to extend the front and back of the cabin out as far as the sides of the roof so we could put on our fascia boards.

Next we have my Dad putting on some 1x6 fascia board on the left side of the roof.

In this picture you can see me putting on some primer on the fascia board before we put the drip railing on the edge of it. We also wanted to get some kind of protection on the fascia boards in case it started to rain. As you can see here the left side up to 24 foot is ready to shingle. The felt is down and the drip rail is on. Eventually we want to put on colored aluminum fascia to match the drip rail which is a chocolate brown color.

On this last picture you can see we got our OSB on this side 24 foot as well but we ran out of time and daylight! We worked that night till about 8:15 and I still had a 98 mile ride home yet! frown frown We got a good ways though. Stay tuned for next week we hope to have some of the roof shingled and in the dry.

Last edited by RC51; 06/07/11 12:09 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Awesome, RC! That's actually some really great progress you guys made! What a huge step getting that roof on. I'd bet the finish work won't be too tough once you have everything else complete - the shingles will be quick with the underlying work done so nicely. Keep it up!

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
They're calling for your kind of weather up here for the next few days. I can't imagine working on a roof in that type of heat (anymore).

Looks good! Hopefully it'll cool down for you so you can finish the roof. Once that's done, and the walls are sheathed in then the house is a LOT easier to work on.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
B
Impressive to say the least! Roof/gutter work in the summer is a killer. I'm certainly not jealous of you.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey thanks guys!! Yeah these next few weekends will be a test of will for sure!! I thought putting on the floor was bad!! Ha,ha this 6-12 pitch roof is kicking my butt!! Roofing is definatley a young mans job no doubt!! I can't wait to see it all done though! It will be a hugh goal met!

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Cabin Update,

Ok this weekend was a true test for my dad and I. We had to get the front gable end in the right spot first. It was up in place but we had to adjust and center and all that good stuff. Then came the fun part. Beam time! Here we go! This beam is 2 feet tall 16 feet long with angled 2x4 bracing inside of it all the way down and 3/4 inch plywood on the outside. frown And me and my dad to have to somehow get it 16 feet up in the air..... It didn't look good at first!

Ok here is the beam in place, we used step up 2x4's screwed onto the walls to walk it up one side at a time with a small scab on the end of each side of the beam so it couldn't fall off of one end or the other if we pushed or pulled to hard. This bad boy has to weigh 220lbs at least. It took all afternoon to get it in place but we got it. Cudo's to my dad. At his age there is not many guys I know could do what he did today with me! Way to go Dad!!! In this pic you can see my Dad up there not waisting any time to screw and brace that bad boy in place!!

Here it is on a different angle going the other way. If you look close you can see wire hanging out of it in the middle. We pre-wired it for a ceiling fan.

Once that beam was in place we secured it and went home!!! We were bushed for sure! Remember that numbing feeling Brettski was talking about well were there baby we are there for sure!!!!

Ok the next day as hard as it was to get up and get motivated we had to still get rafters up on this beam. So that was are next feat.

Here is a picture from underneath looking up at the rafters now that they are done. Looks pretty good for us wanna be carpenters! smile We were happy no one got hurt this weekend and everything got done and in place.

Here are a couple of more pics from the outside looking at the rafters and that's it for this week. Next week we will be trying to get the rest of the roof up and on and felted. Were getting close to having that roof done!! I can't wait I am tired of it already! smile

Last edited by RC51; 06/13/11 02:47 PM.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!