Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra, Meandvls, Eugene
18,473 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,934
Posts557,698
Members18,474
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 449 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#260619 05/31/11 08:22 AM
R
RobA Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I just got my Texas Hunter DF 125 feeder (thank you Greg Grimes!). I haven't had the time to assemble it yet but hopefully will be able to get to it by the weekend.

I'll be feeding the bluegill in a 3 year old pond that has LMB, BG, FHM and GSH. Should I go with the smaller Aquamax 500 or is 600 OK (my local feed store only has the 600 in stock but can order the 500).

RobA #260630 05/31/11 09:46 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Either size is the same recipe, the 500 is smaller. If the fish are used to eating smaller food, or haven't been on food before I would use the 500. If they were eating the generic farm store fish food, then 600 will work.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I mix mine 50/50 so different age classes can eat.

3 Ponds: 8.5 acres, 1.5 acres, 0.5 acres
R
RobA Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Bodock
I mix mine 50/50 so different age classes can eat.

I like that idea.

I ordered a bag of the 500. Should have it by the weekend. I'll get 600 next time around and mix it w/ the 500

RobA #260690 05/31/11 08:11 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I read somewhere..? Fish can actually eat more of the 500 due to its smaller size filling all the voids of the stomach.. Anyone heard this? Ive been feeding the 500 for 2 months and all ages are eating it well..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I may be the one that said that. That's what the Purina Rep said at the PB Conference in reference to feeding trout. He said the trout grew quicker because they could fit more food in their stomach of the smaller pellets - less "air" gap between them.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
1 member likes this: ManofWax
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Makes sense too me..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
That may be true, but fish exert more energy rising to the surface more frequently to eat smaller pellets. This is part of the concept behind Largemouth formula. Fewer trips to the surface to get your calories.

3 Ponds: 8.5 acres, 1.5 acres, 0.5 acres
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
From my presentation at PB IV – Fish Nutrition – Applied Science to Small Waters

See the red text wrt this thread.

Bioenergetics is the subject of a field of biochemistry that concerns energy flow and transformation through living systems.

Growth, development and metabolism are some of the central phenomena in the study of biological organisms. The role of energy is fundamental to such biological processes. The ability to harness energy from a variety of metabolic pathways is a property of all living organisms. Life is dependent on energy transformations; living organisms survive because of exchange of energy within and without.

Living organisms obtain energy from organic and inorganic materials. For example, lithotrophs can oxidize minerals . In photosynthesis, autotrophs can produce ATP using light energy. Heterotrophs (including fish) must consume organic compounds. These are mostly carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. The amount of energy actually obtained by the organism is lower than the amount present in the food; there are losses in digestion, metabolism, and thermogenesis.

Energy Budget ---- Inputs = Outputs + Growth

Because fish growth often is limited by food availability, supplemental feeding is a logical tool to improve the condition of fish in small impoundments as the energy cost for bluegill to feed on pellets is small relative to the high caloric intake, which can be 4-5 times greater than those fed natural foods (Schalles and Wissing 1976).
Substantial increases in the standing stock of bluegill in ponds that receive pellet feed have been recorded (Schmittou 1969) and, in lakes, pellet feeding has been found to increase the number of large bluegills (Nail and Powell 1975).

These results indicate that total fish production and production of bluegill were each increased approximately 75 to 80% by supplemental feeding in 19 months after stocking (Schmittou 1967)

Previous studies demonstrated that feed in excess of 10 pounds per acre per day in bluegill ponds was not utilized. Some accumulated and decomposed, thus depleting the supply of dissolved oxygen which resulted in fish kills (Schmittou 1967) .

the rate of growth of sunfish can be increased by short-circuiting the food cycle, thereby producing harvestable size sunfish in a shorter period of time than would occur under natural conditions (Carnes 1966).

The pellet size should be approximately 20-30% of the size of the fish species mouth gape. Feeding too small a pellet results in inefficient feeding because more energy is used in finding and eating more pellets. Conversely, pellets that are too large will depress feeding and, in the extreme, cause choking. Select the largest sized feed the fish will actively eat. Addition of supplemental pelleted feed did not contribute to the rate of growth of young shad, but did increase the growth and spawning frequency of adults.

Last edited by ewest; 06/01/11 09:24 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
So your saying it's pointless to feed LMB? Lmb feed definately ain't 20-30%?

Just being a smarta**

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 06/02/11 05:43 AM.

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Just to be clear so others understand --- it still helps to feed the LMB 500 and big BG also. It’s just not the most efficient way. It is extra food/energy at little to no cost in energy used.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
So since I am now switching from GFC to Aquamax in a few weeks (they have to order my food) I need to decide what I want to feed so they can order so some help quickly would be nice.

Based on the fact that the size of the food is really the only difference in the two, what should I look for in my pond to determine the one to use?

Just a small recap of my pond to get an idea of the fish and sizes of them or should be in there.

My pond is maybe 1/4 acre.

Stocked with:
HBG
CC
LMB
RES
BC
FHM
GC

And let’s not forget the natural abundance of GSF.

Anyway back to what I want to know is should I use 500 or 600 and why do you think one is better than the other for my situation?

Should I consider 400 or would that be a waste of money?

Thanks

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
So since I am now switching from GFC to Aquamax in a few weeks (they have to order my food) I need to decide what I want to feed so they can order so some help quickly would be nice.

Based on the fact that the size of the food is really the only difference in the two, what should I look for in my pond to determine the one to use?

Just a small recap of my pond to get an idea of the fish and sizes of them or should be in there.

My pond is maybe 1/4 acre.

Stocked with:
HBG
CC
LMB
RES
BC
FHM
GC

And let’s not forget the natural abundance of GSF.

Anyway back to what I want to know is should I use 500 or 600 and why do you think one is better than the other for my situation?

Should I consider 400 or would that be a waste of money?

Thanks

Well...

Of the eight species you listed, I believe that the HBG, CC, GC, GSF, and MAYBE the LMB, will be the primary consumers. And since you don't really want the GC to eat the food anyway, you can eliminate them from the list. You will probably have some LMB that will learn to take the feed, but I'll bet their numbers will be few.

That leaves HBG, CC, and GSF. How big are the fish? How many of each?

Based on the size of your pond, and the species that are present, I'm betting you have a sizable population of smaller fish.

IF IT WERE ME, and I was determined to switch from GFC to AM, I would go with the 500.

A bigger fish can always eat smaller food, not so the other way around.

It may not be optimal foraging for some species, but it is better than nothing.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I believe ewest once said that the fish food pellet size should be close to the size of the fishs' eye that you are targeting to feed.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Yes I need to pull as many small fish out as I can, may even try to build a trap and see how many GSF I can get out, I was thinking the LMB would hammer them down quite a bit, but sure it will take time. If they were at least 6 inches I would take them out to eat.

I may just have to try some smaller ones if they are at least thick enough to cook.

If I had a larger feeder I would just get both and mix them together and see which one they take to better, but that is not an option.

Since the price is the same I just have to figure out what I want to do. First I was told they could not get 500 so I was going to get 600 and hoped it worked ok.

Now yesterday when they checked on availability they can get either making my decision a little harder.

Thanks

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Would there be any benefit to just using AM 400 since it has higher protein content, the price difference is only $3 a bag?

Also can someone tell me what size fish 400, 500 and 600 should be used for?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Always keep in mind that all fish 4" long do not have the same size mouth. So if you want a good 'guesstiment' for pellet size a fishwill eat measure the width of the fish's eye. This width comes real close to the ideal hard pellet size for that fish. Fish can eat larger sized soft or hydrated pellets compared to hard dry pellets.

The following pellet size fish length chart is for LMB, SMB, YP and trout. As menetioned a larger fish can easily eat a smaller pellet.
http://aquamax.purinamills.com/aquamaxfishdiets.htm
One Pellet company's opinion and Cody modified: For LMB, SMB, YP, Trout - NOT BG & HBG
Pellet---------------Fish Size
2mm 3/32" ------------= 3"-5" fish
2.4 -2.7mm 1/8" -------= 4"-6"
2.8-3.2 mm 3/16" -------= 6"-8"
4 - 4.8 mm 1/4" ------- = 7"-10"
5 - 7.1 mm 5/16" -------= 9"-12"

Last edited by Bill Cody; 06/09/11 09:35 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Now looking at this makes me think I should even consider AM 400 instead of the other two based on my fish size.

Or not go over AM 500 anyway for now.

But I guess since I am manly Feeding HBG, CC, GSF - AM 600 would probably be too large correct?

Would AM 400 be too small, or wasted protein for the fish I am feeding.

I think I have now decided to either go AM 400 or AM 500 based on the info above since most of my fish with the exception of the CC are not 9" yet.

I know I have a few that are 7"+ but many below that.

So would someone recommend the best for my situation?

Also since I am currently feeding GFC can someone tell me what all sizes of food are included in it?

Thanks

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Just use 500... Simple as that.. Most of the first bag will be wasted getting the fish accustomed.. If they don't eat it get smaller.. But I have 2-4" bluegill eat as much 500 as they can possible fit in there gut..

Don't over think it.. If you go 500 and dont like the results go smaller. And big fish will eat more to get full..

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 06/09/11 09:46 AM.

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
So do you think it will take them a while to get used to AM 500 going from GFC. I would think that the fish would eat it just because it hits the water not knowing it changed from GFC to AM 500.

Should I try to mix it with GFC at first make sure?

The only reason I was considering AM 400 is that for another $.06 a pound I would get extra protein.

I think I will just order 2 bags of AM 500 then, I just want to make sure since it will take 3 weeks to get it.

I should start going through a bag in that time frame soon.

Thanks

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Ok I broke down and bought some 600 becaue they had it in stock.

Get it home and it is molded.

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?

Does it have a short shelf life or something?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The seller should stand behind the moldy 600 Aquamax feed (AM). Take the receipt and some moldy feed back to them for a new bag of feed. If you have problems report the incident directly to Purina Mills. Moldy feed is often the result of improper storage and/or very old pellets. AM stored in dry conditions rarely gets moldy within a 16 months. AM feed bag always has the manufacturer or production date printed on one end of the bag (usually bottom w/ colored tag). Always look for this date when buying the feed. Customer beware and leary of buying feed older than 6-8 months. IMO AM should be used within 8-12 months of production date. I have purchased AM older than 12 months at a discounted price for feeding to my minnow pond. It has never gotten moldy even after I stored the feed for another 6-8 months (total 20 months). Refergerating it helps lengthen the shelf life and maintain quality esp of the fats, fish meal and vitamins.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 06/10/11 09:55 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
500...!!!!!!!!!!!

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Boondoggle - 04/15/24 10:04 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:52 PM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:48 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Pumpkinseed
by FishinRod - 04/15/24 03:08 PM
Bream Freshly Hatched??
by Snipe - 04/15/24 01:41 PM
What type of babies are these?
by ewest - 04/15/24 01:31 PM
What did you do at your pond today?