Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 816 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#258455 05/12/11 05:27 AM
A
OP Offline
A
I'm seeking some information to start researching some possible plants to add to my pond. 1 acre. Rectangle clay bottom, tons of sun shine, sloped sides, 7-8 foot depth, fertilized, aprox 17 years old. Good fish population. Very healthy, but needs more forage fish and I think adding some habitat for the forage fish will help. After watching Mr. Lusk's video entitled "what is habitat?" I've come to realization that my pond needs better environments for forage fish to hang out, spawn, feed, etc. He talks about the importance of different types of structures. Not just thrown in tree limbs, stumps, etc. He talks about grasses and other plants as vital
I have learned a good deal in recent months about pond management, but know oh so little about plants (both aquatic and on land) I would like some information or links to threads that can help me begin to research some possible plants to ads to my pond. Both grassy/weedy plants and maybe some more sturdy plants/trees. I just don't want Anything that will consume a one acre pond beyond my ability to manage. Currently the pond only grows FA,a few sparse patches of grass along shore line and one nice big thick cattail bloom in the northeast corner.
I can visibly see many spawn beds and can watch the bluegill do they're thing. There are tons of big healthy BG in the pond. And a lot of underweight bass (yea I'm trying to harvet down the LMB population). I think the forage fish need better structure to hang out and feed and grow a bit better. I. Thinking they're getting eaten before having a chnce to reach sizes better for the medium sized LMB to eat and therefore grow to be big bass
Pond is in south Louisiana so obviously cypress is native and an option as far as sturdy vegetation is concerned.

I hope I mentioned everything and didn't leave out any other important details. (its hard to type on my iPad and I can't scroll back up easily to top to proof read so I apologize in advance for typos)

Thanks
Adam Card

Subscriber......appreciative of the countless members and administrators for sharing priceless knowledge and insight to a young knucklehead such as myself!!!
A
OP Offline
A
Forgot to mention, pond sides are built up levees so there are no low-lying boggy areas. Just dry shoreline meets sloping pond sides. Slope is fairly modest. Not too steep, not too flat.

Subscriber......appreciative of the countless members and administrators for sharing priceless knowledge and insight to a young knucklehead such as myself!!!
A
OP Offline
A
Also, one more thing I should mention. Physical appearance/aesthetics is not a concern. I want to benefit the environment for the fish in what ever way possible.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
adam, the problem with vegetation is that it won't stay where you want it, it goes where it wants. I'd do more reading on this site on vegetation, paying close attention to the different species of pond weed. specifically American. The cattails will try and consume all of the shallow areas in the pond over time, and the larger that the group of cattails gets, the faster tht it will spread. Look into species tht Grass Carp like to eat, if the plants get outta hand, then drop a few GC in there (if legal in your state).

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
W
W
Adam, one plant that's cool to work with is water willow, Justicia americana. It will grow out to 3-4' depths depending on your slope. If you can find some in your area its a breeze to transplant- you can dibble it in with a tree planting dibble or lay it down with half in the water, cover with chicken wire, weight down with rocks or sand. WW can eventually take over as most plants will, but easy to burn back with herbicides if it gets too aggressive. In SC it starts cranking in late April and cruises til the first hard frost. Give it a look. There are also many hybrid, non-seed producing water lilies on the market that add great habitat (fun to fish around too) but don't plant these where they will get pounded by prevailing winds as they aren't as tough as the native white water lilies.

www.qualitylakes.com

"If once [the people] become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress and Assemblies, Judges, and Governors, shall all become wolves."
- Thomas Jefferson 1787
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the replies. im seeing that it might be far more trouble than I want. But, coincidentally I went out yesterday for first time in a week when I last fertilized heavily. Do to the fertilizing, I'm seeing a lot more plants popping up along shore. Some grassy, some with pedals/leaves. Nothing out of control.

Esshup, thanks I'll keep an eye on the cattails. So far it hasn't really expnded much over the last 2-3 years. Just tucked into the corner.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump