Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,131
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
14 members (Boondoggle, jpsdad, Sunil, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Bill Cody, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Angler8689, rjackson, esshup, jbird5986), 1,018 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted By: esshup
Who pays for electricity to fill the pond once it's drained?

They will. If they want that pond bank full! Drilling for water runs about $12 a ft. around here. Our well is at 160 ft. If they hit water at 160 ft., it would cost them less than $2,000 to drill. They may just use some other type of pump to extract the water from below the aquifer. Possibly something that runs off of gasoline or diesel. I saw this done once in Mississippi. It was shooting a huge amount of water into a newly constructed pond. The guy said it was cheaper and quicker than using electricity, but there again, fuel was much cheaper back then. Bottom line, the improvements I'm wanting to make are going to cost me thousands of dollars. If I can get the drilling company to pick up the tab, why not? I'll have a way to refill the pond, even during drought conditions, and the drilling company picks up the tab.........As far as the fish goes, someone on here said that the largemouth didn't have enough to feed off of, so should I get a few hundred minnows tossed in too?

Warning: My Dog Has A Gun And Refuses To Take His Meds!
O
OP Offline
O
While I'm thinking of it.........My well water is ice cold. If my pond water is sitting at ......lets say 82 degrees, will the introduction of 55 degree water hurt the fish?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Not only will the cold water (if in enough volume) drastically change the water temp in the pond, but if it isn't run over something to agitate the water as it goes into the pond, it will drastically reduce the O2 levels in the pond as well. Well water is mostly devoid of O2. It will rapidly pick up O2 from the air, but not if it's pumped directly into the water that is already in the pond. It needs some type of exposure to air to pick up the O2, and the more well water that is exposed to the air, the faster that it picks up the O2.

Changing the pond temp all depends on the quantity of water left in the pond, and how fast the water is pumped in. I didn't notice any temp change when pumping 28 gpm into a 1 ac pond other than right close to where the water was entering the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
One thing Bob in 3-5 years you get total control back so it is a good deal to me. It might sound to good to be true but maybe in the oil companies eyes it's their best option.

As far as the cold well water
Try Keeping it close to full pool as they are removing water you should be adding

Are you willing to do supplemental feeding and buy feed trained fish that could solve some of the forage problems due to fertility of pond.

As you can see I am from Canada and I am not an expert when it comes to bass but I know alot about cold water smile

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

O
OP Offline
O
Thanks Esshup. I sorta planned on letting it run in, or spraying it in. Maybe running it across rocks for 50 ft. will agitate it and warm it a couple of degrees, huh? By the way, I donated to the cause yesterday and I also started a 2 year subscription to Pond Boss. The information I have received is invaluable and this forum appears to have a bunch of really nice folks on it willing to share information and experience.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I agree, keeping it at full pool as much as you can will greatly diminish the temp fluctuation.

While not that aesthetically pleasing as a rock stream, Cecil's solution of running well water (@ 50 gpm) thru a series of hanging 5 gallon buckets that were filled with a type of biological filter balls worked well enough for him to raise trout in a pond year round. IIRC he had 4 or 5 buckets, one above the other. The bottoms were cut out enough to let the water fall from one bucket to another, but screening was in place to keep the bio balls in the buckets. The bucktes were roughly 10" apart. The water fell into a small holding tank, and overflowed into the pond via a 6" or 8" dia plastic pipe.

The buckets ended up with a bacteria growing on them that also helped remove excess iron in the water. It was a win/win situation for his water needs.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
J
People in Central Oklahoma routinely get paid $30,000 for water they sell. I am unsure of the gallons they sell. But I know several stories of people have built at a pond at a cost of $20,000 and it has paid for itself several times over.

O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted By: jludwig
People in Central Oklahoma routinely get paid $30,000 for water they sell. I am unsure of the gallons they sell. But I know several stories of people have built at a pond at a cost of $20,000 and it has paid for itself several times over.

That's a heck of a lot more than what I got! I think I'm going to call the Corporation Commission in Oklahoma and see if they can give me some direction. If they say $2 a barrel is the going rate, I'm gonna blow a head gasket! Now they got me where they want me! If I tell them about the knowledge I've gained, they'll go find some other poor schmuck to bend over the barrel!

J
J
I will try to find out how many gallons or barrels they sell for that amount.

A
A
How did you handle the Oklahoma sales tax when selling water for drilling operations?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
AngBar, do individuals in OK have to charge sales tax when selling something?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I am guessing their outfit is commercial and exempt from sales tax on a consumable?

O
OP Offline
O
No, I received a 1099 from them. The whole dang thing stinks to high heaven! We've been in drought conditions and even though we've had good moisture as of late, my pond hasn't come up much.

D
D
I am a drilling consultant working in the middle east. When I worked in the Woodford shale in Western Ok. Mainly Canadian, Blaine county we paid .15-.20 per barrell for fracing, for drilling about $120 a day. That was without the oil company doing any work to the pond.
I have worked with a lot of companies in Oklahoma but not all. The best I have worked with is Devon energy by far. The 20-30,000 is true just shows how much water we use. I would talk to neighbors see what they get. Most farmers/ranchers come by wanting to sell water it is easy money. One thing remember these guys have deep pockets depends on the company , but for me building some fence , a little dozer work, gates etc was no problem if it kept the landowner happy.
Dale

If it were me, I'd be sinking an oil well instead of a water well!

To Hell with Georgia...
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted By: dale k
I am a drilling consultant working in the middle east. When I worked in the Woodford shale in Western Ok. Mainly Canadian, Blaine county we paid .15-.20 per barrell for fracing, for drilling about $120 a day. That was without the oil company doing any work to the pond.
I have worked with a lot of companies in Oklahoma but not all. The best I have worked with is Devon energy by far. The 20-30,000 is true just shows how much water we use. I would talk to neighbors see what they get. Most farmers/ranchers come by wanting to sell water it is easy money. One thing remember these guys have deep pockets depends on the company , but for me building some fence , a little dozer work, gates etc was no problem if it kept the landowner happy.
Dale

Dang, where were you a couple years ago? I posed this question here figuring someone with a pond had been approached by an oil company at some time or other and offered a contract on water usage. It either has never, ever happened or the amount to be expected was of proprietary information! I even called the Cooperation Commission of Oklahoma asking for some kind of guidance, but to no avail. I could get the nuclear missile codes from Washington easier than I can get any information on the going price of water here in central Oklahoma!!!!! All I got was some replies as to why I would sell water from my pond to an oil company. My answer is that I'm trying to keep all of us from paying $5 for gasoline, and even more for diesel!!!!!

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Perhaps yours is simply a case where nobody knew the answer Bob? Like you stated, I seem to remember that many here implied they wouldn't sell their water for any price.....coming from a forum dedicated to pond management, that would seem to indicate that many folks on here placed the health of their BOW above and beyond what it's monetary worth to a drilling operation would be. Therefore it would seem reasonable to assume that no one here knew what value ($$) to assign to your water.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
J
J
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Perhaps yours is simply a case where nobody knew the answer Bob? Like you stated, I seem to remember that many here implied they wouldn't sell their water for any price.....coming from a forum dedicated to pond management, that would seem to indicate that many folks on here placed the health of their BOW above and beyond what it's monetary worth to a drilling operation would be. Therefore it would seem reasonable to assume that no one here knew what value ($$) to assign to your water.

Farmers are more likely to sell water than someone who manages their pond very carefully for their hobbies. This forum is full of people who manage their ponds for hobbies not just livestock watering holes and to make a profit off of. That's why no one has answered the question.

O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted By: sprkplug

Seems odd to me that no one on this forum was ever approached by an oil company for their water from their pond!.....and when I decided to go through with it I was thinking that the windfall could be used to make my pond even better. I had no idea that we'd go through drought conditions for so long and figured the pond would fill back up quickly. I also didn't know that the runoff from the drainage basin was mostly being absorbed, being that it's sand. I was also told that my pond was spring fed. I've only owned this property since August of 2010. I've been lied to, given false information, and generally left in the dark.....but I'm a quick learner. "Ponds 101" was new to me a couple years ago. Now I know more about this pond than I do about my wife, who I've been married to for 30 years come March 31st! Live and learn. Like I said in a previous post, as soon as I can find out what oil companies should pay you for water, I'll let you all know. I'm sure it depends on where you live and annual precipitation rates. Maybe we have some folks in North Dakota, where the oil business is booming, that can weigh in.

F
F
Hmmmmmm.......dont know if this will help you since your in OK and I'm in OH, but here is a link to a water broker in our area. I was suprised to see this guy doing this because it seemed detrimental to ponds and I thought it would be hurting his businness in the long run. But, I guess we all have ponds for different reasons. Maybe he could help you out with contacts out in your area.

Here, I did a bit of changing, but it won't impact the information in this thread.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE from STEVE FENDER
Sell your water for profit

With the oil and gas boom we are seeing in Ohio many of you will be seeing large financial gains for sign up bonuses and eventually, royalty checks from wells drilled on or around your property. What you may not know is that there could be another natural resource on your property that could possibly be just as valuable . . . water.

As these companies come in to drill, they will need water and lots of it. Some of the drilling will use up to 250,000 gallons of water daily and when they frac they could need between 7 to 10 million gallons and they will pay for it.

I have become a water broker and am working with a company that buys water and then sells it to the drilling companies. I am looking for landowners that have water sources that could produce a minimum of 250,000 gallons per day. These water sources can be large ponds (5 acres or more), a creek or river running through your property or a real good spring. This company has even drilled for water in some cases. Good road frontage helps but is not necessary. Or you might have a location that would be ideal for building a lake. I can't promise that everyone will have the perfect location but if you would be interested in selling water, please contact me. I can be reached at 740-502 -5454 or e-mail me at agelessiron@gmail.com

Steve Fender

Last edited by esshup; 03/06/13 09:14 PM. Reason: changed the link to the information.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
My land is in Montague County, about 70 miles NNW of D/FW. Lots of water wells going dry in the area since the water is going for fracing. I probably won't be hurt. My well is at 70 ft in a small seam producing 1/10 gpm.

Bob, at the time you first asked, they hadn't started drilling anywhere in North Texas.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
F
F
DAVE- Same here, it has only started within the last two years here. Its good to know how we might deal with these companies and some of the drawbacks.. I am sure many will be approached as time goes on.

ESSHUP- Thanks for the fix-up.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'm going to drain a million gallons (.62) acres in a couple of weeks. Sure would be nice to sell that water. I see there is some fracking in my state by not near me.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/07/13 09:09 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Call Steve and see if you can sell it. What the heck, a phone call wouldn't hurt. wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

D
D
Sorry Okie Bob.
I have been a mag. subscriber for a year or so just never got on the forum. or would have tried to help out. I have been fighting a pipeline going accross my place for a while now.(seaway pipeline) Not against pipelines these guys just want to run rough shod over me. Been in the oilfield 32 years. Not the way to do buisiness. I am around Tishomingo in south east Ok.
Dale

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 09:00 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday