Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,972
Posts558,084
Members18,508
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,556
ewest 21,500
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
14 members (LeighAnn, JoshMI, Shorthose, Sunil, Theo Gallus, Joeydickens93, Augie, RAH, Jambi, Jason D, Brettski, Knobber, highflyer, J. R.), 901 guests, and 180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
You people are crazy

We prefer the term sanity challenged.

Great job so far Mr. Lusk! We look forward to more photos and stories!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D

Then, I tied on this Rap...I love this bait...even though it's only the second one up to bat.

And, on the first cast, this bluegill, about 1.25 pounds, accepted the offer. It swallowed the front hook, all three barbs.

me too bob! its a special lure and, amazingly, a BG (and GSF wink )catching machine!!

GSF are people too!

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Lunker

Here we go...stick bait was to tempting for this little 11" bass. I caught six fish in ten minutes this morning. All small....it was a weird bite early.

I decided to sample the F1 tiger bass pond...these fat fish look pretty dang good. The Fellowship crawfish crankbait.

Debbie wanted to play this evening. First cast, a bass, smaller than the stickbait. She doesn't even realize how funny this fish is. Nice pose from the queen of LL,2.

So, we changed ponds. Made a difference. She did better...jig this time...

Earthworm on the little 1/16 oz jig...the paint is now gone from it...

Bluegill on the 1/32 oz. jig, under a bobber with a hunk of nightcrawler.

We'll hit it again tomorrow with the rest of the baits.

The Queen had a five pound bass on the jig, fought a good fight and it pulled loose just as I was ready to grab it. Not sure if it was me or the wine we shared before the fish hit.

This his HUGE fun!

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Awesome reports, Bob! We're glad you guys are using the lures and having fun with them! This is truly a great event and I'm thrilled that so many folks have been part of it!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Lunker
Lunker

Well....I have to stay honest. First fish on the gold jig, with a chartruese body.

In line spinner...

Little tilapia on the silver jig with a hunk of nightcrawler.

Then, as bad as I hate to admit it...that cool green Mirabou fly tied onto the Roadrunner...I think it's the one George tied. I hooked into a bass about five pounds, on two pound test...drag set properly, fish fought a great battle, just as I was landing it, my lousy knot came untied and the fish blasted into the depths. So, as ironic as it might seem, George's lure is impaled in the left cheek of a nice bass, until it shakes it into the depths of our pond.

That was the morning session...I had some quiet time before church.

Then, late this afternoon, here's what happened.

Debbie practiced with a 5 wt fly rod, but none of the fish accepted her offers. So, I pulled out the spinning combo, the one with the two pound test...(with a better knot on the next jig)...and about two inches of nightcrawler on it, under a bobber.

Here's what she caught...with granddaughter Jentry by her side.

Jentry is learning how to fish...

Then, we headed off to the catfish pond to try to haul in a monster whiskerfish. Not one bite...from a catfish. But, we caught lots of bluegill. But, on Debbie's first cast with a different jig, she snagged this hybrid sunfish. Nice fish.

Well...that sums up our adventure with the traveling lures. I didn't catch a fish on the silver spotted spoon or the beautiful hand-tied flies.

But, we caught fish on every other bait over the last three days. Thanks for letting us play.

Oh, I thought it would be cool to add a few lures. Here's what I've added for the next trip...to the left coast.

The top bait...a Lazer Eye jig...For those of us at the last PB conference, Stacy King spoke to the group on the pond bank about fishing techniques. He endorses this bait.

Below that, in honor of our dear friend, Bruce Condello, a banjo minnow with a shade of pink in it.

The bottom bait...a little in-line spinner I buy at Walmart...6 for $6. It's my favorite bait at King Fisher. As a matter of fact, this bait, in this box, I've caught two bluegill slightly over two pounds, about ten that weighed between 1.25 and 1.75, a four pound bass and two redbreast sunfish. It's a fun bait on 4 pound test.

Thanks for the great time. We've enjoyed it immensely.

Fish on!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bob, nice fish! You mean that this one isn't in the box anymore?

Oops!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Bob. I can't believe you tied a RoadRunner lure on two pound test line .... that's a BIG FISH lure .... !!
I've never used two lb test line on anything in my entire life, not even fly line tippets .... I need to come vist and give lessons on catchin - not fishin' shocked crazy

Tell the Queen not to give up with the fly rod ... with pellet flies she'll beat you like a rented mule... laugh

ps: Tyin' up a replacement RR as we speak ... smile

Last edited by george1; 10/11/10 10:47 AM. Reason: RR recall

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Great stuff Bob, I'm so glad you were able to participate!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Bob, postal holiday today so will FedEx to your office.
Try again with no less than 6lb test on your Big Bass pond - I sometimes go to 12lb if nasty structure.
Fish it S-L-O-W ...
Cheers ... smile

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I think we can conclude that Queen Debbie photographs much better than Luskie.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
George - that RR looked so tempting I just smacked my face against the monitor! You have skills, my friend. Top notch!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker
Yep, that was the bait...yep, I used it on 2 lb test. George, I would gladly accept that lesson on catching. Actually, I had seen some big bluegill congregating beyond the dock and was changing lures like Terrell Owens changes NFL teams. I had caught back to back to back bluegills on one bait, switched, caught another, saw those big ones, tied on the Roadrunner and pitched it past the bluegill. Bass hit it and the fight was on. I had him close to the shore five times and the drag would sing as she headed toward Davy Jones Lusk Locker in the depths. Finally, got it mostly tired, pulled it toward shore and it blasted off one last time...at the end of the line, flailing in the wind, a twisted little curve. Bad knot, two pound test...Lusk needs George.

Not only does Lusk need George....the Queen would dearly LOVE to beat me like a rented mule.

George, what are you doing Oct 23?
I'll call you...we may have an opportunity. Would you consider being our rented mule?

Lunker
Lunker
Well....the traveling lures should have been on the left coast for about 3 or 4 days by now...JHAP ought to be checking in before long. I have a cool group of photos of those lures, will post them when I get a minute.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
forgive me for my silence.....yes bob, the lures showed up just fine several days ago, they are patiently resting on a counter top, waiting for jhap's arrival.

GSF are people too!

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Yep, that was the bait...yep, I used it on 2 lb test. George, I would gladly accept that lesson on catching. Actually, I had seen some big bluegill congregating beyond the dock and was changing lures like Terrell Owens changes NFL teams. I had caught back to back to back bluegills on one bait, switched, caught another, saw those big ones, tied on the Roadrunner and pitched it past the bluegill. Bass hit it and the fight was on. I had him close to the shore five times and the drag would sing as she headed toward Davy Jones Lusk Locker in the depths. Finally, got it mostly tired, pulled it toward shore and it blasted off one last time...at the end of the line, flailing in the wind, a twisted little curve. Bad knot, two pound test...Lusk needs George.

Not only does Lusk need George....the Queen would dearly LOVE to beat me like a rented mule.

George, what are you doing Oct 23?
I'll call you...we may have an opportunity. Would you consider being our rented mule?
Bob, forgive me for missing this post - the forum has gotten too lengthy for me to read in detail but that's not a good excuse!

Today is October 23rd no less and we just returned from Freestone County for our annual family reunion.
We meet at our little country church every year where my grandpa hauled the timbers more than 100 years ago.
Highlight was with my grand daughter and new husband visiting the historic cemetary where many of my family are buried along side of ancestor grand parents that were early colonists of Mexico state of Tejas and later citizens of the Republic of Texas.

Then by utility vehicle all over our family ranch where the old Dallas Houston wagon road ran.

Quite a memoable day for the oldest surviving member of the clan!

Excuse my rambling - can I have a rain check?

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
love yer rambling george, lets hear more smile

the re-tie is beautiful.

i sent the lures to james yesterday, should be there any day. dont forget 6lb minimum test line on the roadrunner james....looking forward to yer report there....

GSF are people too!

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Fished this past Thursday for 2 hours at Frank's(Frpeeps) pond which is only a mile down the road from my families property. I rigged up three rods. The first was my 10 wt. fly rod with George's fly. The next was an ultralite rod with the inline spinner. The last was a baitcast rod with the spoon.

Caught a BG on my first cast with George's fly. The fish flopped off the hook so I had to take a quick picture. I bet I caught at least a dozen BG on that lure.

On my second cast I caught this HSB which was my first ever. I am amazed at the fight that these fish have. Also caught a small LMB but I didn't get a picture because I gill hooked it and decided to release it quickly.

Another good BG on George's fly.

BG caught with the inline spinner.

Didn't catch any fish using the spoon but did hook this little frog.

Last fish of the day caught on the ultralite rig. It put up a heck of a fight.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Bravo Youngblood! Great job.

PS: Looks like Frank has grown some great fish!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Good job Chris!
Great fish in Franks pond - I believe that these fish are kinfolks with my and Eric's CNBG and HSB!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Great looking fish, indeed, Chris!

As an aside, anyone interested in participating in the traveling lures event, please jump over to the Traveling Lures Calendar thread and see my most recent post about the updated calendar. Now is the time to start reserving your time slots. Please read the first post in that thread before asking anything as it should answer most of your questions. For that matter, just read that whole thread and then fire away with any questions that might remain!

Todd La Neve

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Chris Steelman
Fished this past Thursday for 2 hours at Frank's(Frpeeps) pond which is only a mile down the road from my families property. I rigged up three rods. The first was my 10 wt. fly rod with George's fly. The next was an ultralite rod with the inline spinner. The last was a baitcast rod with the spoon.

Caught a BG on my first cast with George's fly. The fish flopped off the hook so I had to take a quick picture. I bet I caught at least a dozen BG on that lure.

Another good BG on George's fly.

Looks like a Mrs.G's $Gill fly to me - didn't know it was a part pf the Traveling Lure Show - it't not fair - the other lures don't have a chance!!
grin

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Your flies have been deadly during this event, George! Thanks for contributing!

Todd La Neve

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I like those fish YB. The color in that CNBG is amazing.

You guys want one of George's Mrs. G's $ Gills I have the last few that George graciously tied (with Mrs. G's help)for the PB auction. George also got Temple Fork Outfitters to donate some very nice gear (including a nice fly rod/reel combo and an ultra light rod). All of that will be auctioned for SDSU fisheries endowment.

Thanks George !!!!! and TFO as well. You guys send George a PM thanking him and TFO.

Last edited by ewest; 03/29/11 03:00 PM.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
How could a non-attendee get in on the auction I wonder? I've always wanted to try a fly rod but never have. Sorry, maybe this should be in a different thread somewhere. Maybe I can George to give me some lessons.

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Well boys and girls, I had the lures this weekend but didn't catch a fish. The conditions were bad, 30/35 MPH wind, the dog stunk from the skunk, and I had to do some work on the new house pad before the builder shows up. I did get a pretty good hit on the jointed rapala but nothing on the George roadrunner or the other 3 or 4 lures I tried.
The lures ready for action

Me fishing the cattails with Cassie the stink dog

I did have fun them, It got me off the tractor for an hour also. Maybe I'll try again later in the year.
JHAP, they are on the way. I hope you and DIED have better luck.

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Tbar
Recent Posts
New pond stocking
by JoshMI - 05/01/24 10:18 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Theo Gallus - 05/01/24 10:00 AM
RES in new pond with no plants
by RAH - 05/01/24 09:40 AM
Is my feeder toast?
by FishinRod - 04/30/24 09:50 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 04/30/24 09:31 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by esshup - 04/30/24 05:07 PM
Fish food
by LANGSTER - 04/30/24 03:11 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by ghdmd - 04/30/24 11:41 AM
When Trespassers Ignore the Signs (funny)
by Boondoggle - 04/30/24 11:32 AM
Frustrated
by Snipe - 04/30/24 10:53 AM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/30/24 07:56 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023