Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,993
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,538
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (Sunil, Boondoggle, phinfan), 958 guests, and 243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
OP Offline
H
Hello All,

I'm brand new to this forum. From what I've read over the past couple of days, this seems like THE place the be to learn more about ponds.

Here's my dream: In the next year, I'm looking to buy about 80 to 100 acres of land north of Winnipeg to start a hobby farm. I would like to build a 1-3 acre farm pond on it.

I figure I'm in a good position now, because I'm not committed to any particular piece of land yet. I would like to choose some land that would be well-suited to a pond.

I know that in the spring, the area tends to flood. My question is, does anyone know of anyone who has had luck with ponds in this area? I'm encouraged by the flood waters in the spring, but I have no idea what the soil is like here. The land is very, very flat.

In addition to recreation and fishing, I would like to use the pond as part of a geothermal heating / cooling unit for the house. I can either use the pond as a basin to collect water from an "open loop" style geothermal installation or I can use the pond as the source of geothermal heat itself by running the tubes along the bottom of the pond.

Any advice that anyone can offer me would be tremendously appreciated.

Best Regards,
Hobby Farmer

B
Fingerling
Fingerling
B
Hobby Farmer,

Welcome to the site. You are correct in that there are a lot of good people here to post advice and answers.

I'm in South Dakota, but live in a relatively flat area that has some major flooding in the spring. A couple of items to think about if you are looking to locate in a flat area that is subject to flooding.

First is the location (elevation) where you would put the house, as well as an access road. You obviously don't want these to be at risk from flood waters. Look carefully into what the normal high water mark is, and then assume it will go even higher. We're having record flooding in SD, and this looks to be a trend.

As for geothermal tubes running across the bottom of your pond, I would consult with an expert in your area. In SD most people use deep vertical holes, as the temperature is warmer farther down. In a pond you'd be at only 34-36 C in the winter time.

Finally, the pond. Remember that if you are counting on filling your pond with flood waters, that fish will be able to come in and out with those flood waters. I know guys with ponds next to one of our minor rivers. Every spring when the river floods, their ponds get a new dose of sediment, along with carp, bullheads and other rough fish. It is much easier to manage a fishery if you can control the amount and quality of water entering the pond.

If the groundwater levels are sufficiently high to support an excavated pond, make sure you build up a berm around the pond so that floodwater cannot enter. The other option is to look at more rolling country were you could put a dam across a drainage.

Bill

H
OP Offline
H
Thanks Bill,

That's great advice.

One of the things that I like about the interlake region, is that it's pretty far away from a river. The flooding seems to be surface melt water that has simply not drained yet. I will check with the locals to be sure, but the floods don't seem to be connected in any strong way to a river with invasive species. Now the water quality, on the other hand -- who knows? Very good point. I like the idea of a berm around the pond, but I would also like to use the pond as drainage for my property. The problem will be controlling where the drainage water comes from.

My grand plan is to use the earth from digging the pond to build up an area for our house (to prevent the house from flooding). We went out yesterday, to see these areas at their worst in terms of flooding. I know that this year has not been the worst (even compared to last year), but at least it shows me the wet areas. In general, places seem soggy, but not horrendously flooded (not like what I see closer to the Red River -- those guys need canoes / motor boats to get in and out of their houses!).

Anyways, it will be at least a year before we get the equipment out, but I plan to use this forum a lot do document my steps and get advice from the experts here.

Thanks,
Phil (Hobby Farmer)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM