Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kendal, BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS
18,531 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,015
Posts558,532
Members18,532
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
8 members (catscratch, H20fwler, Brian from Texas, Bigtrh24, Jason D, GunBoss, FishinRod, Boondoggle), 862 guests, and 194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#256483 04/26/11 09:53 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Well got the feeder up and running.. While I was mounting it to the dock I threw a handful of am500 out to see what would happen.. Instantly the bluegill started hitting it. So I got my feeder set up then let it cycle a 2 second run time (1second is plenty for now lol) after it launched all that food out I was amazed at how many fish actual were taking pellets on the first ever feeding.. They weren't slamming it like I see them take bugs often in the late even but they were definately interested in the new food scource.. I have to say I think it's gonna work out good.. What's you guys thoughts on this? Pretty typical for first time I would say 75% of the food was still wasted. I'd just like to hear some feedback and thoughts from the pros lol..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Congratulations BGK. I would suspect that more will join the feast in time.

R
R
I'd set the feeder on the shortest time for about a week, then gradually increasing the feed time each week until it feeds the BGs all they can consume in about 15 minutes.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
The fish are responding like crazy.. I'm kinda wondering though I have my feeder set to the lowest setting (1 second) it is dumping a crazy amount of food out in that amount of time and one second really seems like a long time. Anyone have similar issues?

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
My father just put his feeder up 2 days ago and turned it on for 1 second feeding at 10:00.

While they were there he ran a test, and can you believe it a fish came to eat.

My mother said look there on looks like a catfish; my dad says no that is a bass.

They waited a few minutes and there it was about a 3 pound CC feeding about 10 feet from the shore.

I told him we need to get them out ASAP if he wants his BG to eat.

We are still trying to figure out how old the CC are and if they are reproducing as they have not been stocked in probably 10-20 years, unless someone has been dumping fish in there, but it is hidden well and not too many people outside the 4 of us fish it.

Any ideas on the age of the CC?

Do you think they are reproducing?

The pond is full of LMB. The water is supper clear and you can see about 2-4 feet.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
The CC can spawn but their offspring seldom survive predation.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hmm?

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Did I miss something

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
The fish are responding like crazy.. I'm kinda wondering though I have my feeder set to the lowest setting (1 second) it is dumping a crazy amount of food out in that amount of time and one second really seems like a long time. Anyone have similar issues?

What kind of feeder, and what size are the pellets? I had those issues with my AquaPro and AM 500, but Greg sent me a reducer baffle and with a little bit of work with a step drill, it works perfectly with the 500. I remove the baffle when I feed AM 600. Before the baffle, I would throw 3# of AM500 on a 1 second setting.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
R
Good point esshup. The size of the hole in the bottom of the feeder where the feed falls thru will have a part in determinine how much feed comes out. I have a Moultrie game feeder hanging off my dock. It would always clog up until I opened up the hole a little bit using a dremel. Now it throws the AM2000 just fine. If I were gonna use the AM500, I'd have to close up the hole a bit.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've just got a small feeder -- the Moultrie Feedcaster that gets mounted to the bottom of a 5-gallon bucket. In the spring time, when I first start feeding, I cover more than half the drop hole with a thin piece of plastic sheet so that the feed can't drop out of the bucket as fast.

Now that the fish are feeding madly, one second with the hole unblocked, puts out about 3/4 pound of feed. Until the days starting getting shorter in September, I'll continue to feed for 1 second at 7:30 AM and 7:30 PM.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
It's a fine line that you have to walk between making the hole small enough to work, and too small so the food bridges the hole and clogs. It's no fun thinking you got it right and then having to shovel out a 50# sack of food because the weight of food made it bridge....... Another 1/16" dia fixed the problem.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Calling Greg.. I need one of these asap.. smile. I got a feeling it's gonna dump about 50lbs in 2 weeks

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I've just got a small feeder -- the Moultrie Feedcaster that gets mounted to the bottom of a 5-gallon bucket. In the spring time, when I first start feeding, I cover more than half the drop hole with a thin piece of plastic sheet so that the feed can't drop out of the bucket as fast.

Now that the fish are feeding madly, one second with the hole unblocked, puts out about 3/4 pound of feed. Until the days starting getting shorter in September, I'll continue to feed for 1 second at 7:30 AM and 7:30 PM.

A friend of mine just put one of these up about a month ago, and a few days back he went to check it and it had fallen into the water. Does anyone know if there is a chance it will still work or if you can get replacement parts for these feeders?

I am sure the control panel is shot but just wanted to know if anyone has had this problem before or was able to find a replacement control panel.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I watched the feeding frenzy again last night.. I'd have to say the fish are really starting to clean up every bit of food I'd say there eating 75-80% in 15-20 minutes.. With running the feeder once a day I think I'll get about 3 weeks maybe a month on a bag. So next month I think I'll go back to twice daily and load it with 2 bags monthly.. I'm not sure if this is possible but I'm already seeing the fish in the immediate area swolen fat and hard completely stuffed with pellets..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Don Wallace, scott69
Recent Posts
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by H20fwler - 05/17/24 10:51 AM
Trapping the Crays
by FishinRod - 05/17/24 10:16 AM
Bird Deter for patio furniture....
by Energymble - 05/17/24 04:46 AM