Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Vee, MattWinslette, lex, beerpilot, Urban Pond Guy
12168 Registered Users
Forum Stats
12169 Members
37 Forums
28684 Topics
382553 Posts

Max Online: 1039 @ 03/28/13 01:44 PM
Top Posters
esshup 18768
Cecil Baird1 17834
ewest 16482
Theo Gallus 12282
CJBS2003 10145
Who's Online
2 registered (John Monroe, TOM S.N/ILL), 137 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#256761 - 04/28/11 05:54 PM Question about Big Strike fish food
Paul T. Offline

Loc: Maryland
I bought some fish food from a local Southern States store called Big Strike fish food. I have been feeding this stuff to the bluegills for about two weeks. First I've noticed that this Big Strike food does not float very good and sinks everytime a fish makes a current eating a pellet near it. I'm also noticing that half the time the bg will eat a pellet but after about five seconds it will spit it out and it sinks to the bottom. Has anyone else seen bg do this? Is this normal when feeding fish? I dont like to see this stuff wasted on the bottom of the pond. I was wondering if fish food goes bad if it sits at the store to long and does not taste good to the fish. I might try some different type of food at the Tractor Supply Store near my house. They were out of fish food last time I was there. Has anyone tried a brand from a Tractor Supply Store?

#256764 - 04/28/11 08:15 PM Re: Question about Big Strike fish food [Re: Paul T.]
Cecil Baird1 Offline
Hall of Fame

Lunker

Loc: Northeastern Indiana
Most of use here use Aquamax made by Purina Mills. Most feed mills that handle Purina products can get it for you.

Edited by Cecil Baird1 (04/29/11 05:13 AM)

#256843 - 04/29/11 01:13 PM Re: Question about Big Strike fish food [Re: Cecil Baird1]
Greg Grimes Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Loc: Ball Ground, GA
Paul get the southern states store to get in some litle strike next time they can. It is higher protein 36% smaller pellet so easier for the bluegill to eat, 6% fat and more palatable. Well worth a couple extra dollars per bag.

#256877 - 04/29/11 07:53 PM Re: Question about Big Strike fish food [Re: Greg Grimes]
ewest Offline
Hall of Fame 2014

Lunker

Loc: Miss.
Or use AM or GFC.

#256886 - 04/29/11 10:37 PM Re: Question about Big Strike fish food [Re: ewest]
esshup Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Loc: Grovertown, Indiana
All brands of food will start to oxidize when stored for a long period of time. It sounds like Greg is familiar with the food, I'm not. I did use the TSC food (floating catfish and the other, 1/8" gamefish size in 20# bags) and my BG did the same as yours, spitting some of it back out. They did less of that with the smaller sized pellets, but rarely spit it back out when I switched to AquaMax.

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

#256921 - 04/30/11 08:18 AM Re: Question about Big Strike fish food [Re: esshup]
catmandoo Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Loc: Hampshire Co., WV
I normally use the Li'l Strike from Southern states. All of my fish, including the bass, seem to really like it. For some reason, I've not been able to get any in the last month, so yesterday I had to buy a bag of Big Strike. They keep promising that they'll have Li'l Strike "next Tuesday."

For us, it is either that, or the Tractor Supply feed, which my fish don't care for. Neither Purina dealer seems to be the least bit interested in getting Aquamax for me.

I don't particularly like the Big Strike for the same reasons stated, including the lower protein, and I believe lower fat content. Half of it sinks within a couple of minutes. The bluegill don't go crazy for it, like they do for the Li'l Strike. And, I have a lot of smaller bluegill that like to come for feed, and I think it is too big for them.

I'd go for the Li'l Strike. Normally if a Southern States store doesn't carry it, they can get it in a week.

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!

#256965 - 04/30/11 02:27 PM Re: Question about Big Strike fish food [Re: catmandoo]
Paul T. Offline

Loc: Maryland
Thanks everyone for the advice. I wish I had known this before I bought the Big Strike cause I think the store did have Lil Strike food but I thought it would be too small for the bluegills in my pond. Most bgs are eight inches long and have no trouble eating the Big Strike. I cant stand the way the Big Strike sinks so fast. At least they do eat some of the food tho. The Tractor Supply store near my house is a Purina dealer but they said they never even heard of Purina Aquamax. I guess if I really want the aquamax i'll have to order it.

#256970 - 04/30/11 05:19 PM Re: Question about Big Strike fish food [Re: Paul T.]
esshup Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Loc: Grovertown, Indiana
I didn't have much luck ordering thru TSC, but a small local feed store that is a Purina dealer was more than happy to order some for me. Now they are selling about 20 bags a week to different pond owners. They order on a weekly basis.

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Today's Birthdays
PappyFish, RJ, rmedgar
Recent Posts
Accidental Crawfish Farmer
by esshup
Yesterday at 11:37 PM
EURYHALINE POND UPDATE
by esshup
Yesterday at 11:34 PM
Hey Loretta, Happy Birthday!
by loretta
Yesterday at 10:10 PM