Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,071
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (Bob Lusk, LeighAnn, Shorthose, catscratch, Justin W, Requa, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O, bstone261, Theo Gallus, esshup, jpsdad, Bing), 775 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#256578 04/27/11 11:23 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Is there anything out there safe/helpful that could be fed to Bluegill/Bass/Catfish. I'm a real novice at all this and I am just learning pond management as I go. I've been feeding some bread (white bread) to the fish. Fish food seems expensive. Maybe it's worth the extra money. I've heard pay lakes feed dog food. Any truth to that?

R
OP Offline
R
Is there anything out there safe/helpful that could be fed to Bluegill/Bass/Catfish. I'm a real novice at all this and I am just learning pond management as I go. I've been feeding some bread (white bread) to the fish. Fish food seems expensive. Maybe it's worth the extra money. I've heard pay lakes feed dog food. Any truth to that?

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: Randy SE OHIO

Hi Randy,

Bluegill and catfish will readily take to commercial pelleted foods. What kind of Bass are you referring too? Largemouth CAN learn to feed on it on their own, but most folks feel it may be easier to buy fish already feed-trained.

As far as the food being expensive, yes it is. But, I am absolutely convinced of it's worth, having seen the results first-hand. How big is your body of water? How many fish are in it? How old is the pond? All of these things, (and any more I've forgotten),can contribute or detract from your bottom line $$$$.

A lot of farm stores sell a store brand of catfish food, most folks in my area feed this. I feel that while this food surely helps to grow larger fish, the protein content, and the source of the protein, can be very important. I am sold on Purina Aquamax 500 for my Bluegill. It's protein content is 40%. There is some debate that perhaps Bluegill don't require this high an amount, and that the less expensive Purina Game fish Chow would work well also.
At any rate, I don't think I would settle for less than 36% protein, and I would want the source of that protein to be FISH based.
Remember also, that feeding, while important, is only part of the equation. A pond's dynamics can change, and not always for the better, one you begin a feeding program. A lot of variables come into play here.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Dog food is about 1/2 the protein of Aquamax carnivore fish diets or trout foods. Dogs are mammals and BG and LMB are fish two completely different animals requiring different diets. If you want to grow big healthy fish then feed a good quality fish food if you don't really care much about the growth of the fish and just for fun then feed bread or dog food.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
R
OP Offline
R
Thank you...that answers my question.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Dog food and bread may be fun but not sure it does any good with BG or LMB. May even harm them. They don't use carbs much and that is what those contain. Not good for gamefish livers. They need protein and the right kind - fish meal. May get some limited use from dog food but blood/bone meal is not as good and the extra carbs are bad for BG/LMB. Cheap catfish food would be better but real fish food like GFC or AM even in limited amounts is better.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Around here GFC is just as cheap as the Catfish food, heck some places have even pulled the catfish food and just keep GFC in stock, or at least where I get mine.

My fish like GFC and seem to be growing but I plan to change myself this year to see what happens. Just have to decide on AM500 or AM600 and let them know by tomorrow so they can order it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails