Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,789
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
11 members (FireIsHot, Theeck, Rick O, catscratch, canyoncreek, Augie, Bigtrh24, Shorthose, Theo Gallus, esshup, JasonInOhio), 875 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
OP Offline
G
I have a 45 year old, 6 acre lake in East Texas. The lake has plentiful bass, crappie and sunfish of all sizes. The largest bass caught so far is 11 lbs. The lake is spring fed and has water going over the spillway continously. I want to add copper nosed bluegill, but everything I have read states that it is much better to have "stunted" bass to keep the population in check. I know with big bass, a stocking would just be an expensive "treat" for the bigger fish. Can I stock larger coppernose and expect any degreee of success if I feed properly? By success I mean, large coppernose in a few years. All of the fish appear healthy and well fed and I see a lot of baitfish around the pond banks. Any advice would be welcome. Thank you in advance.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Welcome to the forum Gary...

If you have 11 pound bass in your pond and smaller, a percentage of CNBG you stock will most likely end up as expensive bass food. What percentage is hard to say. That will depend on just how many large bass you have, how large the CNBG are when stocked, the amount of cover your pond has, other present forage, etc...

CNBG are very similar to BG in most aspects. If your current BG are doing well in your pond, I see no reason why CNBG wouldn't either. It is not impossible to grow both quality sized BG and LMB, it is just more difficult, particularly in a smaller pond. You have a 6 acre BOW to work with, which will make it easier.

If you want to stock CNBG into your established lake, I see no reason not to. Consider harvesting some of the BG currently in your pond to make room for them and obtain the largest CNBG you can find. Remember, CNBG and BG are in fact the same species, just different subspecies. They will readily cross with each other and produce offspring with a mix of genetic traits from each parental subspecies.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Gary, in Texas we don't have to keep BG in check by having small bass. Our general problem is way too many small bass that over eat the BG supply. Unless your absolute and only goal is big bluegill, it is best to reduce the numbers of small or stunted bass.

You have a flow through body of water. How is the fertility?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
OP Offline
G
I will remove some of the smaller bass then as well as some of the BG. I have not kept anything in the two years that I have owned the pond. All catch and release. I have not run across any stunted fish. They all seem very healthy from very small to the big ones. As far as fertility.....Not sure how to tell. The water is deep green, with good visibility for the first couple of feet then it gets where you cannot see. There is good vegetation around the banks, lily pads and grass in the more shallow end (<8 feet). What is the best way to determine "fertility" besides the health of the fish and the bait? Thanks again. And one more thing please.....Suggestions on anyone handling larger CNBG in East Texas area, to purchase? (Nacogdoches, Tyler, Longview area)

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Bob Waldrop of Tyler Fish Farms supplies "pure" florida CNBG but to the best of my knowledge does not grow them out to larger sizes.
Give Todd Overton a call at Overton Fisheries in Buffalo - he grows out "pure" Florida CNBG to large enough sizes to avoid predation in mature ponds.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Gary, proper fertility involves visibility, due to phytoplankton, of approx 18 to 24 inches.

You can build a sechi disk in less than 5 minutes. Google it if you don't know what it is.

Of course, some of us wade into the pond wearing sorta white sneakers.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks for all your help. This starts me in the right direction. I know that I lose sight of my spinner bait at about 1 1/2 to 2 ft, so I am hoping that is because of phytoplankton! I will build a disk and check it out. Can't wait to start everything. Thanks again.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by FireIsHot - 04/19/24 07:49 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM