Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,993
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,538
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 778 guests, and 213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
DrLebel Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Just wanted to say Hey to everyone and introduce myself. I started thinking about building a pond a while back and its like a disease that wont let go of my mind now that it might be doable. I am currently in negotiation for 10 acres in Memphis, TN and would like to build a 1-2 acre pond, homestead, and small alpaca farm.

Hoping the clay in area is good but will know in future once I get property to perform tests, etc.

Will post Topo Maps once It is purchased to get your opinion because there is no stream to dam, just watershed without much elevation.

Hoping To use Pond for Fishing/Swimming with a beach area and scenery to see from house.

3 questions to start off with, I am budgeting 30,000 for project and would like to get ya'lls opinion of that for a 1-2 acre pit pond with levees.

ANyone know any good pond consultants/ earth movers in area. Would love to get one contractor to clear trees/dig Pond/and build homestead plot at once.

Is a swimmable pond with fish doable in the midsouth, I know snakes and muddy mucky water are the norm for most ponds in the area.

Thanks in advance.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hello Doc and welcome to Pond Boss.

Hang on for expert feedback.

Thanks for joining up and posting.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hello Doc and welcome.

It's not really possible to comment on costs without knowing the area and how much dirt will have to be moved around.

I don't know any dozer drivers in the area but you can check with the NRCS. They will have a list of them. Of course, there is no criteria to getting on the list so be cautious. Check and recheck references. Drive around and see other ponds in the area. Stop and ask questions.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Hi Doc

Congratulations on your impending land purchase and welcome to the PB Addiction!

Dave has great suggestions above - I'd like to add the following.

If I were in your position I would do two things right now:

1. Subscribe to Pond Boss magazine - PRONTO.

2. Pick up the phone and contact Mike Otto. He is an owner of Pond Boss and one the world's premier pond dream builders. He can consult your construction and ensure your project will be completed exceeding your standards. mikeotto@ottosdirtservice.com (800) 882-3478

Welcome to the forum, Doc. We're here whenever you need us!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

D
DrLebel Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Just got a survey done. NCRS says the soil is mostly Loren?? unsure about spelling?? and Grenada so it should hold water just fine. Im letting them take a look at this too. But wanted ya'lls opinion of whether this could work. Would like a 1 acre pond made by building a 400 ft Levee 10-16 feet wide and 10 feet deep. As seen on 2nd picture. Is this a good location. I estimate it will get about 5 acres of Watershed from property which is shy of the standard 8-10 acres needed for every acre of pond. The 5 acres will be pastureland with alpacas on it eventually. I think I'll need to build a well for those drought prone summers down here, but am not sure the city will let me. I estimate moving 2800 yards of dirt for the levee maybe 1000-2000 more to deepen pond so a total of 3800- 4800 cubic yards. Maybe I could get by with a 20,000 budget for pond with a 6000 dollar well. Is 10 feet deep enough to maintain the fish life- I will only have about a quarter acre that deep as well? Thanks a Ton ya'll.

Attached Images
P1050513.JPG P1050515.JPG
D
DrLebel Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Any opinions on this? Are the pictures good enough quality? I left a message with Otto's service but the receptionist said it might be a while before he can get back to me, and I have to make a decision on whether to purchase this land soon.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I'm no expert but I would be concerned about the insufficient watershed. IMHO this will guarantee a huge fluctuation in water levels throughout the year. This happens on my pond but we overcome this to some degree by have a deeper pond (mine is 17-18 feet deep). Which brings me to my next concern - without sufficient watershed you should have a deeper pond (IMHO).

I would hold off the purchase until you hear back from Otto. You will be very frustrated if you purchase the property and find that it will not support the pond that you desire. Mike Otto is a premier pond builder and a great guy (quite funny to boot). He knows his stuff and will steer you in the right direction.

Will the Alpacas be "uphill" from the pond? In other words will this pasture be part of the watershed?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
10 feet deep ought to be OK. However, as pond owners in Texas and Oklahoma are finding out, you really can't have too much water when a drought hits.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
C
Are the pictures good enough quality?

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Another issue you might have is as you have it drawn you don't have a spillway if the lines on the boundary are the property lines you may run into trouble with the adjoining land owners if the water is forced in another area than it would normally leave this property.

Last edited by rockytopper; 07/20/11 08:15 PM.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM