Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,959
Posts557,925
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
3 members (Fishingadventure, Jward87, Theeck), 844 guests, and 515 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
HI,

I have a one acre pond that is self contained and I want to plant submerged plants in this spring. I like to kayak finding the plants I want. Lots of fun. Here is a list of plants and I know some of them are a real no-no like Eurasian Watermillfoil which I planted in the past. I don’t fish my pond but just observe it. I only have Golden Shiners in it now after a winter fish kill. What plants do you like best ?

John Monroe
My list:

Coontail-Hornwort

Egeria densa-Anacharis

Ellgrass

Widgeon Grass

Elodea-Canadensis-American

Fanwort- Cabomba

Parrotfeather

Brittle Naiad

Vairable-Leaf Watermilfoil

Hydrilla

Eurasian Watermilfoil

Lunker
Lunker
Eel grass - YES

Widgeon Grass - maybe; waterfowl benefit - but could be risky.

Parrotfeather - maybe; actually an emergent specie (portions of the plant grow both submerged and above the surface). Personally, I'd avoid it.

NO (IMO) to the others.

Oh, and why would you consider introducing invasive-exotic and Fed-prohibited plants (EWM & Hydrilla)? Your local chemical salesman might appreciate that decision - but you would definitely regret it.

Also, the pond's design (perimeter depth-drop) is a huge factor in deciding which, if any, submerged plants to introduce.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
My two favorite submerged aquatic plants for ponds are American pondweed and spiral eel grass.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Kelly Duffie
Oh, and why would you consider introducing invasive-exotic and Fed-prohibited plants (EWM & Hydrilla)? Your local chemical salesman might appreciate that decision - but you would definitely regret it.

+1

Also Elodea. We have been battling Elodea for years. Left unchecked it will take over a pond with a vengeance.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
What plants are already growing in the pond? Some introduced plants have a difficult time becoming established when resident plants are already dominant. To get new submerged plants established one my have to spot kill some shallow areas and then plant new introductions.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/22/11 10:41 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Hi John

I'm the least qualified on the forum to recommend anything regarding vegetation, so I won't. What I can say is I'm pretty happy with my species of pondweed [horned, american, sago] which established themselves naturally as it's easy to fish through, ties up nutrients which could otherwise be utilized by FA, and provides great spawning structure for my GSH and the PK Shrimp love it, too - and have responded with big populations. I spray all my cattails and leave the pondweed - just my two cents.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

J
OP Offline
J
My pond can be as deep as 10 feet but 8 feet is more like it without a lot of rain. My pond is about 17 years old now and before this winters fish kill I have observed things that go counter to common beliefs. Getting other's experience with different submerged plants can give me ideas and save mistakes. But I don't mind experimenting as I have in the past, like with Eurasian Milfoil, Spatterdock, Water Irises, Muskrats, Grass Carp, Koi, Israeli Carp and more. I didn't fish my pond except to catch bass with the barbs filed off the hooks to see their size. I read where someone stocked Golden Shiners and caught them with an ultra light fly rod for some action. Beside wanting to see my minnows, and at the same time, the fly rod fishing might be fun for 10 inch Shiners. I controlled my pond without ever putting any chemicals in it over the years so I don’t worry about plants getting too much out of control. The submerged water weeds showing up right now are American Pond Weed, Widgeon Grass, Brittle Naiad and Dwarf Baby Tears. I would like to put in Eelgrass if it will grow in still pond water. I think my other choices I will look for in the kayak are Coontail, Elodea and Anacharis (Egeria), but see what others have to say. Appreciate any of your thinking and experiences.

John Monroe

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
It sounds like your current plant community is a good one. I would go with spiral eel grass over regular eel grass and leave the others out.

J
OP Offline
J
I’ve decided to go for the Spiral Eel Grass (Vallisneria America), so thanks for the idea and suggestions. The link below on page 15 and 16 show exactly where and what quantity’s in the two lakes the Eel Grass can be found on Upper and Lower Fish Lakes here in Indiana, along with several other submerged plants in the lakes.

John Monroe

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw_Fish_Lake_AVMP_Update_LaPorte_County_Dec_2007.pdf

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 05:22 PM
Need help
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:49 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:38 PM
Happy Birthday Theo!
by DrewSh - 04/23/24 10:33 AM