Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Neal Horner, Champ59, fletchccc, etx-pond-c, Painterpond
18,537 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,022
Posts558,586
Members18,538
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,516
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
16 members (Champ59, Tinylake, catscratch, LeighAnn, Shorthose, FishinRod, phinfan, ewest, Huntmastr1, etx-pond-c, WiYeti, Jason D, SSJSayajin, Boondoggle, Theeck, canyoncreek), 1,024 guests, and 155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
RobA Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
What is the downside to letting someone grow corn on my poorly producing hay field if he would plow it after the harvest and reseed it with a hay mixture? (I posted this on Tractrobynet too)

Long story: I have an Amish neighbor who has been haying a 5-acre field of mine. The quality of the hay is not that good and I have been letting him keep all of it. The loose arrangement we have is that together we would improve the soil, reseed and split the hay next year when the quality and quantity improved. We have horses but are not looking to use any of the hay until we move to the property and build a new barn - probably next year. Recently he arranged to have about 20 truck loads of mushroom soil dumped on the field.

Yesterday he had a proposition for me:
- he would have the mushroom dirt spread
- he will kill the existing grasses/weeds with Roundup
- he would plant corn for this season
- after he harvests the corn he would plow the field adding more mushroom dirt to further improve the soil (he gets it free from local mushroom farms)
- after plowing he would smooth the field and reseed with a hay mixture
- we would split the hay after he starts to harvest it
- he does all of the cutting and baling (I have no equipment and no desire to buy it or do the haying)

I don't mind if he gets all of the corn from this years planting. I have no interest in charging him rent for use of the field. My goal is to get the field to produce better and more hay after we move there. He's been using the hay for his cows but would use the new hay for his horses.

Any thoughts?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My only concern would be potential erosion and the nutrients that could come in via the manure he probably uses to fertilize the field. However if you have a buffer to keep it out it may not be a problem -- unless you get a really heavy rain.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
RobA Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Thanks Cecil. This field doesn't drain into my pond so any erosion or manure runoff won't affect it. My neighbor offered to spread cow manure last year to fertilize the field. I turned that down as another neighbor said there could be problems with weed seeds. And the smell.

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
I see only positives, Rob. From what I've read, the Amish are a highly principled and self-sufficent group. Your exposure seems non-existant, your property would be well cared for and an Amish as a friend could be invaluable.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My only question is how much nitrogen does the mushroom compost have? Both corn and hay (grass hay) uses a lot of nitrogen. If you are reseeding with alfalfa the nitrogen wouldn't be a problem. If alfalfa is taken care of, it'll last 5 years, give or take. Then it's usually rotated with a year of corn, and then back to alfalfa.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
JB Askew
Recent Posts
Help,BG Dying, 1 a day
by Champ59 - 05/21/24 10:48 AM
I think I killed all my fish
by ewest - 05/21/24 10:45 AM
Spillway recovery from record rains
by etx-pond-c - 05/21/24 09:30 AM
Fish Finder?
by catscratch - 05/21/24 07:28 AM
Optimal vs Purina. Optimal for the Win
by Willy Wonka - 05/21/24 03:35 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Boondoggle - 05/20/24 10:01 PM
Trapping the Crays
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 05:16 PM
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by Sunil - 05/20/24 08:09 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 04:54 PM
TadpolePalooza!
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 11:20 AM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023