Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#254032 04/05/11 04:44 PM
M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Has anyone heard of or used this fishery?

http://www.sugarcreekfishery.com/

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Nope, but I like their website!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I just know that it's in the heart of Ohio's Amish country - beautiful place. Haven't actually been there, but my wife and I love going to that area and will probably visit them this spring or summer just as a fun part of the trip and to walk off all the free cheese I eat at the various stores!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
They certainly have some unusual species to offer... One of only a handful and perhaps the only larger hatchery I know that offers orangespotted sunfish. They also have longear sunfish... So, for those looking to add some unique sunfish to their pond, they may be the place to check.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
MrHello,

If you don't mind me asking why are you looking at fish in northwest Ohio when you're in Oklahoma? Do they overnight ship?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/05/11 10:07 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Mr Hello. if you are looking at their Blue Tilapia, read their ebay ad VERY closely. You will not get what you think you are, not even close.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Cecil, they do overnight fish. I have looked at their website in the past because of that option. Plus, the pickings are slim here in the Mid Atlantic, so to find the fish I want, I may have to travel...

K
K
i purchased 25 feed trained yp from them, very happy! - shipped overnight, even though i'm in ohio, it would have cost me more in gas to drive and pick them up myself!

Last edited by keith_rowan; 04/06/11 08:45 AM.
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Keith how large were the YP they shipped you?

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I spoke with the guy last fall about his large variety of sunfish species,and he basically told me he had all his sunfish in 2 large cages in his brine pond and it was too cold to go out and see what he really had. ( It was VERY cold out when I spoke with him), I was ready to buy and he kinda blew me off and pretty much referred me to his mentor who was located in NorthEastern Ohio but it mostly a aquarium seller of freshwater fish. Those Orange spotted were gonna be like 6 bucks each, something crazy like that. anyways I dont believe he is as large of dealer as his website portraits. No I havent bought from him so i do not know the quality but I would certainly make sure you know what you are getting into with him and make sure what you order is exactly what you get. Just my .02 there folks, take it or leave it.

BTW, NW Ohio is not the "heart" of Amish Country but has a lot of German Baptist in the area and some amish, your thinking of NE Ohio ( Wooster area) that is known as Amish Country IE Tourist traps etc. Just wanted to clarify that.

Salmonid

Have fish..Will Travel
Mark Blauvelt - Dayton Ohio
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.75 acre pond, HSB,YP,CC,BC,BCF,BG,HBG,RES
K
K
i ordered 2-3"

they hit the food like the bluegill i started my aquaponics system with.. the older yp from last year that i have act more like they're "grazing" at the surface

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Keith,

If you ever want larger feed trained perch Bill Cody gets "shooters" in the 7 inch range from Bill Lynch of Mill Creek Perch farm in Marysville, Ohio -- only once a year when he seines the pond though. I used to get even larger ones for a dollar a piece but the feds messed that all up with their VHS hysteria that requires Lynch to test for VHS that are sold out of state. No longer affordable for Lynch to test for me. Now I hatch my own. It was actually cheaper to buy them from Lynch.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Mr Hello. if you are looking at their Blue Tilapia, read their ebay ad VERY closely. You will not get what you think you are, not even close.

I was actually looking at the Orange Spotted fish, YP and Albino CC. But now that you mention Tilapia it has my interest.

I do not see an ebay ad for Tilapia. If they are not Blue Tilapia what would they be?

K
K
i think i've figured out my next step up for my fishtanks..
i'm planning on using railroad ties and a pond liner to make a bigger tank in the basement, i've been debating leaving the growbeds(my filtration system) inside or pumping the water to outside growbeds and draining back into the basement. with the water temps i had this last several months, i know i'd have a pretty good trout season in the basement, but i want to see what kind of heat gain i'll get with growbeds outside..
and my favorite fish is yp, so i might look for some of those shooters, when does he seine his pond? (i hope it's after my indoor pond is built!)

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Keith,

The railroad ties will work as Stoney Creek in Michigan built a few trout ponds like that years ago, but they were outside. I do have wonder if they will give off a strong creosote odor inside, or whatever they are treated with. Possibly not.

Edit: I did some checking and it seems the railroads are now using a boron preservative. Perhaps this would be less odorous?

Lynch seined his ponds a week or two ago, so if you want fish I would contact him in early March or possibly a little earlier.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/07/11 09:20 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images