Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96, flowindustrial
18,482 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,787
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
8 members (Dave Davidson1, Bill Cody, FishinRod, Bucyrus22B, Rangersedge, JPierson, MidwestCass, catscratch), 1,057 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
rc86 Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
R
Hello:
I have a new 1/4 acre pond aprox 14 ft deep in the center and am
considering windmill aeration as we will be using the pond for
household water.
My yard is approx. 4 acres including the pond,
and is then surrounded by woods, I don't know if this is a big enough area for the use of a windmill, but I like the idea of having one.
Researching windmill aerators on the internet has my head spinning, and I have been reading this forum for info and opinions. However one of the systems I am considering, the Dyno Aire by a company called Aire-Dynamics, is not even mentioned on this discussion board.

Does anyone have any experience with, or know anything about the Aire-Dynamics manufactured aeration units?

Thanks,
Ryan

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
rc86:

Welcome to the forum. While I don't have direct experience with windmill aeration, when I was researching it for my pond I found out that I needed to make the tower high enough so the blades were above the tallest trees, and tall enough so when the trees grew taller it would still be above them. The cost of such a large tower converted me to go electric.

What are the specifics of why you are wanting to aerate the water?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I have experience with the Dyno Aire. It has problems with steady air flow and installing rebuild parts. I suggest that since you use the pond water for domestic use you go to the 1/4 hp electric rotary vane compressor (5cfm open flow). Resulting water movement will be 10X greater than for a windmil which means for your region you will only need to run the compressor a short time each day. Windmills often do not operate in calm air during hot summer dog days when mixing is needed most. Mixing the pond will be a lot quicker and you will have to only run the compressor 3-6hrs per day Mid Apr-late Oct to get about a twice complete water turnover in a 1/4 ac pond. A very good electric bottom diffuser aerator can be obtained for slightly less than 1/2 the price of a windmill. Electric compressor will require less maintaince and less cost for rebuild events.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/29/09 09:50 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
rc86, when Bill gives advice... Take it! He legitimately knows his stuff!

R
rc86 Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
R
Thanks for the advice Bill. I guess the main reason I am attracted to the windmill option is due to appeal of having one, and not using any electricity.

But from the sounds of it, a electric aerator is more functional. Can you provide me with a recommendation for a specific 1/4 hp electric rotary vane compressor aerator to look at?

-ryan

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
There are two types of good and popular compressors for aeration. One is the rotary vane and other is dual head rocking piston. Your small pond could even get by with a single head rocking piston. For rotary vane compressor and for pond depths up to 18ft deep, I like and prefer the GAST 0523-101Q-SG588DX. I know of some pumps out there in operation for 6 hrs/day Apr-Nov since 1994, no rebuild needed yet, and they are still operating well. It is very simple to rebuild, very long motor life and puts out a lot of air volume. Important feature is to keep them dry and ventilated. The Dual head rocking piston is slighly higher cost, harder to rebuild, and a little noisier, however it has more pressure for depths deeper than 18ft deep.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/29/09 09:48 PM.

F
Fingerling
Fingerling
F
Moderator note:

Greetings, fp162, and welcome to the forum.

We do not normally allow solicitation from members unless they have established their bona fides or are PBMag advertisers (who have to establish their bona fides before advertising). Bob Lusk should be in contact with you to explain the policies.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 07/29/09 02:38 PM.
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
rc86 Bill has given details for a diy system. I and others on here sell systems that are ready to go. It includes a compressor as mentieond by Bill as well as cabinet to keep noise down protect compressor and keep it cool by housing a cooling fan. It also comes with self weighted tubing and a diffuser station.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
C
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
C
Bill, I want to meet with you for a short time at our booth in September...hopefully you will be there. I want to show you how easy it is to maintain a Single or Dual head compressor. One does not even need to remove it from the cabinet like a Rotary Vane. I think you will be pleased to see how easy it is.

Don't get me wrong, I grew up in the "aeration world" with the rotary vane compressors and they are near and dear to my heart but I have been obviously very impressed with these WOBL piston compressors.

We are always looking to improve too! I have some new compressors to test soon for Very Large Lakes (100 Acres and Up)!! They resemble a Super Charger on a car. Cool Stuff...I love my job!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Cary - See you in Branson.

J
J
Just spoke with a rep. from Aire-Dyno. Now they are having problems with the blades staying on the shaft, evidently they switched to a 16" blade to see if that helps. Sounds like they are still in design changes. I think they need some office changes too, not very friendly or knowledgeable. OWS is the way to go like Mr. Lusk stated.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/18/24 07:03 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM