Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,988
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dave Davidson1, JasonInOhio, KenHorton, Theo Gallus), 1,026 guests, and 243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Look at the sales options and market.

Taxidermy - out as you have the market cornered laugh

Sale as food - out as many states don't allow the sale of sportfish as food - need to be real careful here.

Sale to State or Feds for stocking - limited to nil

Sale to aquarium mkt - very limited and takes good connections

Sale to pond owners - possible but you are competing with hatcheries and the costs (have to look at all costs not just feed) to get them that size is most times more than the vast majority of pond owners will pay.

In addition you have to be trained/able to run an aquaculture operation and be willing to put in the work - not many will do that and the pay vs. the risk is low.

That doesn’t even address all the other problems like transport , permits , insurance , all those business matters. Plus if all of the sudden you show up as a newbie with 10,000 2-3 lb LMB for sale and no place to sell them (no advanced market) you will either 1. likely be eating a lot of LMB so to say or 2. selling them to someone who can take advantage of your situation for a low ball price .

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Bluegill fever, I also have a pond where I'm raising HBG. The LMB are already in place, and outside of 5 grass carp and a handful of RES, the Bass and HBG make up the bulk of the population.
I stocked it two years ago with HBG purchased from a hatchery, and LMB moved over from another one of my ponds. Non feed trained. The Bass will readily consume aquamax when I feed every night. In the beginning there were just a few individuals who would eat it, but their numbers are growing.
When I feed I walk the circumference of the pond and throw out pellets in the areas where I've learned the fish like to eat. I've given up trying to feed in a central location, it works better for me to bring the food to the fish, rather than the other way around. Last night, I threw feed to 4 different groups of Bass cruising the shallows, and they all went for it. It wasn't just a reflexive strike either, as they continued to hit pellets until they had consumed all of them. Keep in mind that natural forage in a pond of this sort is almost non-existent. It appears to me that a HBG x LMB pond could be a good way to feed train Bass. It looks like hunger can be a powerful incentive. the question is, would they stay on feed if they were moved to another body of water?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
SP " It looks like hunger can be a powerful incentive."

No question about that. They will eat about anything rather than starve.

I have seen LMB adults trained to feed starting with minnow/fish parts followed by minnow parts stuffed with pellets followed by pellets dipped in minnow parts juice followed by just pellets. That pond had little forage also. It was labor intensive and took time and quite a few minnows.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest
Look at the sales options and market.

Taxidermy - out as you have the market cornered laugh

Actually not anymore. As I'm having trouble meeting demand, and don't raise certain species due to facility limitations there are others taking up the slack. Some are boldly illegally selling or buying public caught fish on the Internet, but they'll get burned eventually. But if you noticed in my post I didn't count the taxidermy market.

Sale as food - out as many states don't allow the sale of sportfish as food - need to be real careful here.

From my query letters sent to all 50 states only Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, and South Carolina strictly prohibit the sale of certain sport fish for purposes other than recreational stocking. Texas requires a permit for "Protected Finfish" to be purchased by both the seller and the buyer. There are some states that either refused to respond to my queries (I had one special agent tell me I was going to break the law anyway so why respond), or had no idea what their own laws were, and just kept passing the buck to different departments. Maryland said they would consult with their "attorney's" and never got back to me.

Please note: I did not specifically ask if the fish could be sold as food fish in my query letters but was referring to dead frozen fish sold to taxidermists.

New York that for years was against the sale of largemouth bass for food fish, apparently now allows it as long as they are privately raised with some other restrictions as direct sales only or something like that. Ironically back when they prohibited the sale of bass as a food fish, they allowed the sale of fish from public waters that did not have a bag limit such as bluegills.

Sale to State or Feds for stocking - limited to nil

It will become more common for states to contract out to private hatcheries as government facilities are closed. It's already happening in some states. My state buys walleyes from a private Wisconsin producer. Last I heard they were also buying rainbow eggs from Trout Lodge as a cost saving measure. Some federal trout hatcheries have already closed. Look to see more as budgets get cut. Lawmakers are finding out the private sector can raise fish more economically than government facilities and it's tempting to shut down the government hatcheries.

Sale to aquarium mkt - very limited and takes good connections.

I could do it and there is a demand and the price one can get is VERY high. Problem is I don't have the facilities yet. I have no doubt an on the NANFA site would get you business. Perhaps not really high in volume but the price one can command makes up for it. There's also the sale of fish to educational institutions. One of our posters here, made I believe, $20,000 on a a few hundred minnow sized Bowfin he sold to a university for research. He seined them in public waters with a permit and it was perfectly legal.

Sale to pond owners - possible but you are competing with hatcheries and the costs (have to look at all costs not just feed) to get them that size is most times more than the vast majority of pond owners will pay.

True but there are no hatcheries in my northern end of the state. NONE! As president of the Indiana Aquaculture Association my goal is to get this going but it appears people are either afraid to start up, lack the knowledge they need to start up, or think the government should fund them.

In addition you have to be trained/able to run an aquaculture operation and be willing to put in the work - not many will do that and the pay vs. the risk is low.

Yes it's not easy work but it can be learned. Some of the best fish farmers I know are self taught by the school of hard knocks. Some worked for another producer.

That doesn’t even address all the other problems like transport , permits , insurance , all those business matters. Plus if all of the sudden you show up as a newbie with 10,000 2-3 lb LMB for sale and no place to sell them (no advanced market) you will either 1. likely be eating a lot of LMB so to say or 2. selling them to someone who can take advantage of your situation for a low ball price .

Yeah you're preaching to the choir when it comes to government interference, permits etc. But at least up here most of the headache is VHS testing, and only if you ship across state lines. Inside the state most species other than trout don't have to be tested for anything. Our Fish Hauler's and Suppliers Permit is free.

A good fish producer does not produce the fish first and look for a market later. That said, when I had my largemouths I had a Asian broker chumping at the bits when he heard about my feed trained bass, and wanted to buy them immediately.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/08/11 12:09 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Sounds like a hard way to make a living especially for someone (not you)who asked the question. An aquaculturist may be able to make a living (many are going out of business) raising LMB to that size but the average pond guy is going to be badly surprised.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Sounds like a hard way to make a living especially for someone (not you)who asked the question. An aquaculturist may be able to make a living (many are going out of business) raising LMB to that size but the average pond guy is going to be badly surprised.

Yeah if you just have a pond or something that's really not the way to go if you want to get into aquaculture. And the typical recreational pond is not designed for aquaculture.

That said I found feed trained largemouths really easy to feed and grow. I was surprised how well they do in cages and probably would in an RAS.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Yep but you knew how and were there. Most avg pond guys would have made a mess and paid the price.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
If you get into Scotts water hole, you won't need an Attorney and the kevlar won't do much good.

grin wink

Anything under 400 Yds is a chip shot, and the 7mm will blow thru 3/8" mild steel plate at 500 Yds with regular lead/copper bullets. No AP projectiles needed!

Mike, next time I'm by your place I will make sure to punch the GPS to make a waypoint. I'll have the latitude/longitude then.

Dave, Mike doesn't have a rifle, only a shotgun, and it won't reach across his pond. You're safe!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Mikes LMB are staying on the pellets, even with a very large population of 3"-5" Golden Shiners, BG of all size classes & RES. His pond only has BG, RES, GSH, HSB and LMB.

Well, there might be a CC or 2 swimming around, but he doesn't know about them. wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I guess I'll resurrect this old thread based on an experiment I started several days ago.

Four days ago I saw a huge cloud of tiny fish begin "herded" by a huge LMB. I discovered they were newly hatched LMB fry. A friend and I got a net and captured several hundred of them with a deep fine-mesh pool cleaning net.

I put them in a 10 gallon aquarium with just an air-stone. I had some in another container with a filter, unfortunately, they were so small that hundreds of them got stuck against the filter intake and died. Here is the aquarium with the airstone and bass.

Based on reading an old paper by our good friend Dr. Dave Willis, I'm weaning them off of plankton. Once or twice a day I'm cleaning the bottom of the aquarium with a siphon, while I remove about half the water. I'm replacing the water with pond water. The pond is currently experiencing a good bloom.

I'm using a coffee grinder to grind Ziggler 42% trout feed into a fine powder. They seem to be loving it. I've been feeding them 5-6 times a day. Last night I left the aquarium light on, and left the little feeding door open on top of the aquarium. This morning there were lots of little bugs on top of the water. So far, these little critters seem to just be eating plankton and the fish food.

From Dr. Dave's old paper, he says they will die in 5-7 days if they aren't getting properly fed. Today is day 4, so we'll see. As of this morning, not a single mortality.

If they make it to at least an inch long, I'll put them in a 40 gallon container. If they make it to at least 2 inches, I'll put them either in a 300 gallon IBC container, or we'll put them in brood ponds. I've currently got an empty brood pond, and we'll replace the RES in a friend's brood pond. (We put 2-3 inch RES in the friend's brood pond last fall. Most are now about five inches. If the feed trained bass live, it will be time to transfer the RES to the main pond, which has bass to about 20 inches.)

I'll keep my experiences with feed training posted here.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Very cool Ken. I'd love to give this a shot myself, but it requires time. Not something I have a lot of these days. Maybe someday as it's something that really fascinates me.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Omaha
Very cool Ken. I'd love to give this a shot myself, but it requires time. Not something I have a lot of these days. Maybe someday as it's something that really fascinates me.

Having time is key. I'm semi-retired right now and loving it. My brain just has more projects than my body has energy. And, unfortunately, my brain also seems to have more projects than my wallet has cash. Maybe I can find somebody to give me a grant to play! But then, it might not be as much fun. grin

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Looks like a plan. I think you took them out of the pond sooner than literature says so but if they are eating the feed then you're good to go.

Keep us posted!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I'm using a coffee grinder to grind Ziggler 42% trout feed into a fine powder.

Note to self:
Don't drink Ken's coffee.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

Note to self:

Why not, it's high in protein? grin

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Looks like a plan. I think you took them out of the pond sooner than literature says so but if they are eating the feed then you're good to go.

Keep us posted!

Cecil -- that is why I'm supplementing them with pond water once or twice a day. One of my fisheries biologist friends at WVU suggested taking them as early as possible, and doing something similar to what Dr. Dave suggested -- keeping them somewhat fed with plankton, and then weaning them from it. We'll see.

Ken

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

Note to self:

Why not, it's high in protein? grin

Yeah, but you should see the buzz these little fry get from the caffeine in the fish food! crazy

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ken,

Actually you're not far off on that comment.

If you put a little caffeine in water with daphnia they go spastic and swim around 90 miles an hour! You can also see their little hearts beating faster. At least that is what I've been told.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/21/12 08:55 PM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Ken - the feed training appears good so far. The air bubbler may help keep small food particles moving so they look like live zooplankton. One of your big hurdles will be water quality. In a day or two you may have to resort to two water changes per day or move them to a slightly larger container. A filter will help some when they are better free swimmers. Consider some sort of simple flow trough system or a temporaty flow through for several water changes per day. Another option is to move them into a small cage built of 1/8" mesh then into a 1/4" mesh cage, etc. It won't take them long to get to 1.5"-2". Expect 1mm growth per day.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/22/12 10:34 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
That's cool, Ken! I'll be interested to read about the progression. Here's to hoping they survive!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
So far, so good. No mortalities yet. They seem to be doing well, and they seem to be growing each day.

Bill -- we have two circular 10-foot diameter tanks, that are about 3-4 foot deep, with center drains. As the fish grow, we may move half of them into one of these tanks. We may be able to use pond or creek water to replace water and waste we pull from the bottom.

I'll keep posting, even if they all should die. frown

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ken,

If you have fine enough screen to keep the fish in over your overflow a regular sump pump in a bucket placed in a pond that pumps water into the circular tank and an overflow will work for a simple flow through system. When I get time I will post a pic of one of my tanks I use to hold fish when I'm seining the pond.

You can still use the stand pipe to periodically flush out waste by lifting one of two stand pipes. (A smaller pipe inside a larger one.)

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/25/12 07:51 AM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Adding to what CB1 says above, in a couple weeks the survivors should be large enough to not get through 1/8" mesh. For now, a small version flow through similar to what CB1 suggests can be set up now. A smaller version of flow through would use a low wattage, smaller magnetic drive power head, aquarium pump having 0.2-10 gpm. It wouldn't take much flow through for the few fish you are feed training to keep them healthy while they learn to eat ground or softened pellets. Plus the power heads are low cost ($10-30) and dependable. Fiberglass window screen would serve well as a strainer.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/25/12 09:53 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
So far so good. I had one mortality yesterday when I was cleaning and replacing the aquarium. They still seem to be eating, but I can't really tell if they are growing.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!