Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,057
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (emactxag, jpsdad, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake, catscratch), 650 guests, and 182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Ok this will be my official Link for the Cabin Kickoff! We start tomorrow. My mom and dad just came through Oklahoma and are in Fort Smith Arkansas as I write this. They should be here around 3 or so. So there's no turning back now! smile I will do my best to post pictures. I will also re post picutres of what I have done so far and try to keep everything in order. OK!! Here we go!! I will try and post all my stuff every Monday or Tuesday as I won't have access to the internet over the weekends. See ya all soon and stay tuned! smile

Last edited by RC51; 04/01/11 12:43 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Have a great time! I'm looking forward to photos!

Oh and PS:
Make sure your family doesn't get caught "outside" if you get my drift.

Last edited by jeffhasapond; 04/01/11 02:46 PM.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
What's the layout? How big? What shape? How many bedrooms? How many 5 gallon buckets?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Way to go, RC! Can't wait to follow your progress! Good luck on a smooth job!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Lunker
Lunker
Good luck in getting started. I am still in a waiting pattern for the road commissioner to give us permission to drive concrete trucks on the roads.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Have fun RC.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Brettski
What's the layout? How big? What shape? How many bedrooms? How many 5 gallon buckets?

How many 5 gallon buckets!! smile Funny! The lay out. The cabin is going to be 24 x 40. 2 bedrooms in the back then a utility room on one side for electrical box and laundry hook ups on the other side will be a storage closet. Then 1 full bath on closet side and kitchen area on oppisite side. All of it will be under a typical 8 foot ceiling.

Then the dinning room area and living room area about 13 x24 will be under a cathedral type ceiling then a 12 x 16 foot deck overlooking the pond with a roof of it's own. Some previous pictures to come and a few of what we did this weekend nothing to exciting this weekend yet just finishing up clearing and getting ready.

Last edited by RC51; 04/04/11 08:41 AM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Good Luck RC, full speed ahead, and that's no BULL. wink

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Ok here we go. First pic below is of the driveway / land before us humans touched it smile

Second pic here is of the tear drop driveway now.

Here is the trench we dug last year to put in the 200 amp elec. 225 feet of trench 30 inches deep.

This is me on the ryder trencher we used to dig the trench.

Here is the final result kids hanging out enjoying our hard earned electicity! smile

Then Dad and I built a nice shed to keep our stuff in while we are building the cabin.

Finished product. Now if the cabin is just this easy to build!! Ha,ha. smile

Well that's a quick review of the stuff we have in place. We also have the water main in place now too but that's another day.

Ok this weekend we just did some more prep work nothing real exciting but have a few pics.

First priority. Someplace to go in case of an emergencey! smile I told Dad you'll have to watch your back cause you never know what might sneak up on you out here!! smile

Here is part of a very large Hickory tree we had to take down. I hated doing it but it was a must. Bottom of the tree was 26 inches in diameter.

Here is my youngest boy Brett helping Grandpa pick up branches! He had a blast all weekend. Man was he wore out!!

Here is one of the big stumps we were trying to cut down a bit farther. Like I said no real exciting pictures just yet. That's next week! smile

[img]http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314/zwolf8220/Cabin%20Kickoff%202011/GrandpaCuttingUpAStump.jpg[/img]

Last but not least we are going with a 1000 gallon ribbed poly septic tank I towed up there this weekend. We will be putting that in the ground in 2 weeks. Can't wait for that!! frown

[img]http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314/zwolf8220/Cabin%20Kickoff%202011/1000GallonSepticTank.jpg[/img]

Well that's it for now. More good stuff to come next weekend once we actually start to build the foundation.

Last edited by RC51; 04/04/11 11:20 AM.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Quote "First priority. Someplace to go in case of an emergencey! I told Dad you'll have to watch your back cause you never know what might sneak up on you out here!!"

Very nice accomindations I must say. Reminds me of when we were building my brother built a 3 legged version not near as nice. Didn't even have sides on it like yours. We were walking my 92 year old grandmother around showing here the place when we ask her what she thought about the out house. Her reply was. " Well I never seen anyone do there business on a table top before."

Last edited by rockytopper; 04/04/11 12:52 PM.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Donna-ski is quick to remind me of our first facilities....when I handed her a shovel, a roll of TP, and pointed her into the woods. I included a dixie cup filled with water to use for "tidying up".

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Awesome! So what your saying is our out house is pretty darn fancey then hey? smile Here I thought it was kind of sad but I guess not! I even faced it towards the pond so you have a view!

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Have you ever thought about what might happen if a rough bull catches you in the outhouse?

Our first structure was an outhouse. Several years later a guy from the County visited and recommended that I paint a sign saying that it was a deer blind. Seems that outhouses are now illegal in my neck of the woods. I told him that I thought that was kinda dumb since I had a lot of cows running the place that I didn't tidy up after. He told me that College students graduating with degrees in Public Administration were getting their heads packed full of junk about upgrading rural Texas. These idiots get jobs and start trying to influence County Commissioners who have friends/relatives in the plumbing and septic business.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 04/05/11 05:15 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
F
F
UPGRADING RURAL TEXAS?? OUTLAWING OUTHOUSES??? SHEEESH!! I WOULD FIGHT THIS ALL THE WAY TO THE SUPREME COURT AND BEYOND. JUST TRY THAT IN THE APPALACHIANS! mad

" EVERY DAY I'M AMAZED BY HOW MANY THINGS I DON'T KNOW AND HOW MUCH STUFF I DON'T UNDERSTAND"
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
[quote=Dave Davidson1]Have you ever thought about what might happen if a rough bull catches you in the outhouse?

YES that's why I told my dad he better watch his back!! Cause you never know what might sneek up on you in my woods!! smile

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Way to go RC. Looking forward to your progress updates.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
Way to go RC. Looking forward to your progress updates.

Thanks guys, We got 24 6x6 posts to put in the ground this weekend about 3 feet deep. That's a LOT of concrete! And a LOT of post holes!! Thank goodness we will have a Bobcat T180 with an auger attachement on it!! Whew! I don't even want to think about doing that by hand. I will try and post pictures this coming Monday. If I am not to wore out!!! smile

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Well it would appear photobucket is having some issues at the moment so I will try and post pictures later. In the meantime I can tell you this. That was the hardest fricken work I have done in a long, long time!!! Those dang 6x6 post get heavy. Put em in the hole take em back out put em back in line it up level it up take it back out...... I hurt so bad by the end of Sunday night I thought I was going to cry!! smile My dad wouldn't addmit it but I know he was hurting pretty bad too. Bottom line is we got it done. 22 posts later and 50, 80 pound bags of concrete and they are locked in tight!! My Dad said one of the most important things here is the X between corner posts. He said they need to be exact or forget it! Well we finally got it. Both ways our X was 45 feet 4 and 3/4 inches! I did not realize what all was involved when putting in posts for a building. It was a great learning experience. In the picture you will see some of the post still have to be cut off and leveled on the top but Dad said he would do that durning the week. I'll post pictures as soon as I can. This weekend it's septic tank time!!! Whoowhoo can't wait!! frown

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Ok here we go. Some pics of last weekend. Sorry it took so long but photobucket was down for a while.

Getting the 4 corner post right!!

Getting a shot of my Dads best side!! smile

Dad working and me taking pictures! That did not go over very well!

Taking a hard earned break!

We put about 5 inches or so of lime rock in each post for drainage.

My son Noah I think I wore him out! It was good for him! smile

Me putting in the final screw on the last brace! Thank God!!

Us starting to pour concrete the hard way!!

All posts in and braced! Of couse they are not all cut off to the exact hight just yet. At least I hope not or were in trouble!! smile

More to come after this weekend. Time to start digging that septic system!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Man, I get tired just lookin' at the pics.
I gotta ask, RC...
Why the choice to use posts instead of a concrete slab or stem wall/slab foundation?

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Brettski
Man, I get tired just lookin' at the pics.
I gotta ask, RC...
Why the choice to use posts instead of a concrete slab or stem wall/slab foundation?

Hey Ski,

Ahh yeah is was a TON of work! I am reminded of you when you said how hard it was to get motivated to go back to work cause you were so sore and tired!! I already have felt some that action and were just getting started! smile

Umm why posts and not a slab? Well they main reason for that I would say would be cost. I got all these 6x6 posts for right near 300 bucks a far cry less then what a 24x40 foot slab would have cost me that would have been a little over 3 grand here. Second I sort of wanted to have my cabin up a little on the front side anyway so I can get under it easy and work on drain lines / piping things like that. Why not a stem wall /slab foundation? Thats a good question and I don't have any answer other then we never really gave it any thought. The posts I put down are good for 30 years they say or longer we'll see about that. We have them surronded nicely with concrete too so I think we will be fine. With 23 posts and concrete included it only cost us about 450 bucks. You can't beat that.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I see your off and running RC, in the mornings when it hurts to get out of bed, just think of how great the place will be if you survive. laugh

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
I see your off and running RC, in the mornings when it hurts to get out of bed, just think of how great the place will be if you survive. laugh

Hey AP yeah it's a go now for sure! No turning back now! I am a little sore in the mornings that's for sure. Me and IB Prophin are becoming good friends. Like you said though if I survive it all, I can't wait to sit back on the deck and drink that fist cup of morning coffee while watching my pond do it's thing!! I know that's a ways off yet but it will keep me motivated for sure!!

S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
After seeing these pics, I am bushed and going back to bed.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Ok well it took us 3 days but we got the septic system in! crazy
Here are some pics that we took. What a job to do on your own! Now I know why these guys get paid good money to do this stuff!!!

Here is the hole dug for the septic tank and us using the boom on the piece of equipment to lower it in place.

IMG]http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314...eseptictank.jpg[/IMG]

Here is another shot of the tank and D box 70 percent covered. We couldn't cover the front as the inspector needed to see that before we barried it.

Here is another view of the same thing. Getting that D box level and the tank level and all that was a pain in the butt!! Of course we put a little downward slop on everything about a half a bubble on the level.

Here is the main drain line from the cabin to the tank. We went a 1/4 inch drop per foot and it ended up perfect.

Another view of the drain line. Good thing we didnt' glue this yet. The inspector failed us as we forgot to put in a 2 way clean out! Duh!! I was glad he told us that it just helps me out too if I need to snake it for some reason.

Here is the 2 way clean out we put in then he said we were good to go.

Here we are digging the leach lines! We put 2 40 foot leach lines on the D box. Figured that was more than enough for a 2 person cabin. Maybe 4 person once in a while. (2 kids).

Another view of us digging the first leach line. We used that EZ Flow leach line that is surrounded by styrofoam peanuts. They are about 10 inches round and don't require any gravel. They come in 10 foot sections and hook to each other with 4 inch slit pipe in the middle.

Here is the end result. Done!! That pipe you see in the background is a vent pipe we put on one of the leach lines. It's not required here but my Dad said with that on the end you can take the cap off and look to see if you have standing water in your lines and if you do that's not good!! Just kind of a thing so you can see whats going on down there! We will cut it lower later once the ground settles a bit.

Well that's it for this weekend, but that was enough! I don't want to do that again any time soon! Next week we will be trenching the water line and starting to put up our center brace to start the floor!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 07:52 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails