Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,809
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
7 members (teehjaeh57, Boondoggle, TLL, FishinRod, DrewSh, New Guy, catscratch), 1,157 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#253056 03/29/11 10:59 AM
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G

“george, is any of this really a big deal?

I dare to say that you may be the only one bothered by this.

(with all the respect in the world!)”

Sunil my friend, you and Bruce are the only respondents that know me and that I am sometimes a cranky old man.

Condello surfaced this old thread that I thought had been long put to rest, but he and Cody have strong opinions that I respect, but I reserve the right to challenge and question when I disagree.

I deserve the same respect.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

george1 #253065 03/29/11 12:12 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
george, I didn't lock the thread.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil #253074 03/29/11 02:09 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Everyone keep in mind that one of Bob's strongest directives is no personal confrontations. There is no doubt in my mind that there was one. It does not matter if I agree , disagree , don't know or even understand any of the various positions. My job is to deal with it as I understand my charge. I have a commitment to Bob to uphold my obligation no matter if it is a close personal friend or a brand new poster. If I can't do so for whatever reason I should and will resign.

Everyone do me a favor and respect Bob's wishes. There are a lot of times when each of us (mods included)would like to just go on let someone have it in a personal way. It’s not allowed !!! That is why this is by in large a friendly place. I intend to do my part and follow the rules even if I have to bite my tongue/fingers. Thanks for understanding.

ewest #253121 03/29/11 08:32 PM
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
ewest, IMHO you and all the mod's on this forum are doing a great job. The job isn't always pleasant but it needs to be done all the same. I appreciate the time you put in here. That's what keeps this such a neat place to come and learn. Did I just say "neat"?

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

Cisco #253152 03/30/11 05:09 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Well, at least you didn't say tidy or cute.

Eric is right. We are not a scientific group. We don't do confrontational stuff; even if somebody claims that he/she caught the worlds record great white shark out of a 1/4 acre pond.

BTW, I just caught a 16 lb LMB out of my drying up forage pond. Seems that I never have a camera when I need it.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
OK, play nicey nice in the sand box.
If your best friend says it’s mud, just go along and pretend that you agree with him.
Stay happy and play nice!

Have fun with this stuff.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

BTW, I just caught a 16 lb LMB out of my drying up forage pond. Seems that I never have a camera when I need it.

What, no cell phone, Oh you must be a jitterbug user. laugh

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
In truth, I have a pretty nice camera but never take it anywhere with me.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

Hey Dave, if you say you caught a 16 lb LMB – you caught a 16lb LMB. Real Texans don’t lie but have been known to spin a tall tale now and then.
Rumor has it that Pecos Bill was born in Muleshoe Texas and he don’t run and he don’t hide.

Pecos Bill (An American Tall Tale)

Pecos Bill had one of the strangest childhoods a boy ever had. It all started after his father decided that there was no longer enough room in east Texas for his family.
"Pack up, Ma!" he cried. "Neighbors movin' in fifty miles away! It's getting' too crowded!"
So they loaded up a wagon with all their things. Now some say they had fifteen children while others say eighteen. However many there were, the children were louder than thunder. And as they set off across the wild country to Muleshoe Texas, their mother and father could hardly hear a thing.
Now, as they came to the Pecos River, the wagon hit a big rock. The force threw little Bill out of the wagon and he landed on the sandy ground. Mother did not know Bill was gone until she gathered the children for the midday meal. Mother set off with some of the children to look for Bill, but they could find no sign of him.
Well, some people say Bill was just a baby when his family lost him. Others say he was four years old. But all agree that a group of animals called coyotes found Bill and raised him. Bill did all the things those animals did, like chase lizards and howl at the moon. He became as good a coyote as any
Now, Bill spent seventeen years living like a coyote until one day a cowboy rode by on his horse. Some say the cowboy was one of Bill's brothers. Whoever he was, he took one look at Bill and asked, "What are you?"
Bill was not used to human language. At first, he could not say anything. The cowboy repeated his question. This time, Bill said, "varmint."
That is a word used for any kind of wild animal.
"No you aren't," said the cowboy.
"Yes, I am," said Bill. "I have fleas."
"Lots of people have fleas," said the cowboy. "You don't have a tail."
"Yes, I do," said Bill.
"Show it to me then," the cowboy said.
Bill looked at his backside and realized that he did not have a tail like the other coyotes. "Well, what am I then?" asked Bill.
"You're a cowboy! So start acting like one!" the cowboy cried out. Well that was all Bill needed to hear. He said goodbye to his coyote friends and left to join the world of humans.
Now, Pecos Bill was a good cowboy. Still, he hungered for adventure. One day he heard about a rough group of men. There is some debate over what the group was called. But one storyteller calls it the "Hell's Gate Gang."
So Bill set out across the rough country to find this gang of men. Well, Bill's horse soon was injured so Bill had to carry it for a hundred miles. Then Bill met a rattlesnake fifty feet long. The snake made a hissing noise and was not about to let Bill pass. But after a tense minute, Bill beat the snake until it surrendered. He felt sorry for the varmint, though, and wrapped it around his arm.
After Bill walked another hundred miles, he came across an angry mountain lion. There was a huge battle, but Bill took control of the big cat and put his saddle on it. He rode that mountain lion all the way to the camp of the Hell's Gate Gang.
Now, when Bill saw the gang he shouted out, "Who's the boss around here?"
A huge cowboy, nine feet tall, took one look at Bill and said in a shaky voice, "I was the boss. But you are the boss from here on in."
With his gang, Pecos Bill was able to create the biggest ranch in the Southwest. Bill and his men had so many cattle that they needed all of New Mexico to hold them. Arizona was the pasture where the cattle ate grass.
Pecos Bill invented the art of being a cowboy. He invented the skill of throwing a special rope called a lasso over a cow's head to catch wandering cattle.
Some say he used a rattlesnake for a lasso. Others say he made a lasso so big that it circled the whole Earth.
Bill invented the method of using a hot branding iron to permanently put the mark of a ranch on a cow's skin. That helped stop people from stealing cattle. Some say he invented cowboy songs to help calm the cattle and make the cowboy's life easier. But he is also said to have invented tarantulas and scorpions as jokes. Cowboys have had trouble with those poisonous creatures ever since.
Now, Pecos Bill could ride anything that ever was. So, as some tell the story, there came a storm bigger than any other. It all happened during the worst drought the West had ever seen. It was so dry that horses and cows started to dry up and blow away in the wind. So when Bill saw the windstorm, he got an idea. The huge tornado kicked across the land like a wild bronco. But Bill jumped on it without a thought.
He rode that tornado across Texas, New Mexico and Arizona, all the time squeezing the rain out of it to save the land from drought. When the storm was over, Bill fell off the tornado. He landed in California. He left a hole so deep that to this day it is known as Death Valley.
Now, Bill had a horse named Widow Maker. He got that name because any man who rode that horse would be thrown off and killed and his wife would become a widow. No one could ride that horse but Bill.
And Widow Maker, in the end, caused the biggest problem for Pecos Bill. You see, one day Bill saw a woman. Not just any woman, but a wild, red- haired woman, riding a giant catfish down the Rio Grande River.
Her name was Slue-foot Sue. And Bill fell in love with her at first sight. Well, Bill would not rest until he had asked for her hand in marriage. And Slue-foot Sue accepted.
On their wedding day, Pecos Bill dressed in his best buckskin suit. And Sue wore a beautiful white dress with a huge steel-spring bustle in the back. It was the kind of big dress that many women wore in those days — the bigger the better.
Now, after the marriage ceremony Slue-foot Sue got a really bad idea. She decided that she wanted to ride Widow Maker. Bill begged her not to try. But she had her mind made up.
Well, the second she jumped on the horse's back he began to kick and buck like nothing anyone had ever seen. He sent Sue flying so high that she sailed clear over the new moon.
She fell back to Earth, but the steel-spring bustle just bounced her back up as high as before.
Now, there are many different stories about what happened next. One story says Bill saw that Sue was in trouble. She would keep bouncing forever if nothing was done. So he took his rope out -- though some say it was a huge rattlesnake -- and lassoed Sue to catch her and bring her down to Earth. Only, she just bounced him back up with her.
Somehow the two came to rest on the moon. And that's where they stayed. Some people say they raised a family up there. Their children were as loud and wild as Bill and Sue were in their younger days. People say the sound of thunder that sometimes carries over the dry land around the Pecos River is nothing more than Pecos Bill's family laughing up a storm.
This tall tale of Pecos Bill was adapted for Special English and produced by Mario Ritter
(With my apologies)

Last edited by george1; 03/30/11 06:52 PM. Reason: Muleshoe

F
F
whistle
FWIW I caught this fish in 1975...I don't know how old Condello is..but if he was alive that year he was just a kid. I've got some old B/W's from the 50's & 60's using the same technique. Self promotion?? No. grin BTW this was obviously before photoshop or even digital. Believe me if it wasn't I would have edited out those dinner plate glasses and that re"duck"ulous hair! blushAnd those HIGHWATER jeans! (i think they finally stopped just south of my nipples)
DON'T MAKE ME START ANOTHER "EVERYBODY JUST CALM DOWN!" THREAD

Last edited by findfoolfight; 03/30/11 09:39 AM.

" EVERY DAY I'M AMAZED BY HOW MANY THINGS I DON'T KNOW AND HOW MUCH STUFF I DON'T UNDERSTAND"
Cisco #253180 03/30/11 10:28 AM
B
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
B
Originally Posted By: Cisco
ewest, IMHO you and all the mod's on this forum are doing a great job. The job isn't always pleasant but it needs to be done all the same. I appreciate the time you put in here. That's what keeps this such a neat place to come and learn. Did I just say "neat"?

I agree.... Nice to have a place to ask questions/share ideas without all the drama. That's a rare thing with forums today.

Keep up the great work!

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: findfoolfight
whistle
FWIW I caught this fish in 1975...I don't know how old Condello is..but if he was alive that year he was just a kid. I've got some old B/W's from the 50's & 60's using the same technique. Self promotion?? No. grin BTW this was obviously before photoshop or even digital. Believe me if it wasn't I would have edited out those dinner plate glasses and that re"duck"ulous hair! blushAnd those HIGHWATER jeans! (i think they finally stopped just south of my nipples)
DON'T MAKE ME START ANOTHER "EVERYBODY JUST CALM DOWN!" THREAD
Nice fish!
FWIW - circa 1980 - note bent elbows!

george1 #253196 03/30/11 12:01 PM
F
F
coolHey George...looks like we were seeing the same Optometrist cool

" EVERY DAY I'M AMAZED BY HOW MANY THINGS I DON'T KNOW AND HOW MUCH STUFF I DON'T UNDERSTAND"
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Yep - we were cool before cool was invented!!
cool

george1 #253203 03/30/11 01:40 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Let's see a picture of "Hef."

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil #253208 03/30/11 01:54 PM
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Hey Buddy, this one's for you .... 1972
grin

Last edited by george1; 03/30/11 02:13 PM. Reason: 1972

george1 #253209 03/30/11 02:19 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Aren't those hippie glasses? grin

Bill Cody says I should keep my glasses on 'cause it makes me look smart. I think he's trying to tell me something! frown cry

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
George, I remember something about ole Bill using that cyclone to dig the Grand Canyon.

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Yeah, I remember that one too - thought you would get a kick out of the Mule Shoe version.
grin

george1 #253233 03/30/11 05:47 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
As I recall, he got booted out of Muleshoe for being a wimp.

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
laugh

george1 #253238 03/30/11 06:43 PM
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Heck, those glasses look right in style to me. This is from 1990:

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Dwight #253239 03/30/11 06:49 PM
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Love it!!! - Classic Glasses and bent elbow to boot!!!
laugh cool

george1 #253241 03/30/11 06:51 PM
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I didn't known Tommy Chong was a fisherman. wink

F
F
Ain't yall got no sense??? That's obviously Flip Pallot just posing as Dwight!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by FishinRod - 04/19/24 04:36 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump