Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
6 members (Justin W, DenaTroyer, Freg, Donatello, jludwig, catscratch), 759 guests, and 182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
All very good suggestions. Cody, I'd do some research into the state laws regarding eminent domain. I've heard that in some states if a person "squats" on a piece of property for "X" amount of years, then it becomes theirs if the landowner who actually owns the land doesn't try to kick them off (during that time frame).

Even with the Python locks, game cameras can still be stolen, even if they are in a locked steel box. Friz had one stolen roughly within 2 weeks after it was installed.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #252499 03/23/11 11:10 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
If I had to steal an incriminating camera with a Python lock, I would probably bring a chain saw.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
They didn't. The tree is still standing. 3/8" Python cable, good lock, the kind that is shrouded and you can't get to the shackle.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
C
Its sad but your right I am going to have to just start being a total jerk. I have two ponds of my own so I never was out to be a nazi about controlling this pond, but now I have my other two stable and would like to spend some time up there getting it balanced. This weekend I am going to bolt some metal signs in that they can't take out and make my presence known while I do it. Maybe even but my bass boat in and dewinterize it to make some noise.

Cody Veach #252533 03/23/11 03:45 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Cody, do you have a recent survey so that you know exactly where the property lines are?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil #252534 03/23/11 03:54 PM
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Could you use a ladder and put the camera up in the tree higher and angle it downward towards the ground? Would that work. If the camera was 10 feet up as least it would be harder for them to get to.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
RC51 #252542 03/23/11 04:36 PM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
That's exactly what I did with mine RC. To install them I put a step ladder in the back of the Polarius Ranger bed and stood on the step ladder. Mine are all at least 10 feet up. Plus I cut of the branches below the camera (mostly to reduce false triggering from the motion of branches).

To get to my cameras you'd either have to bring a ladder or cut the tree down.

Nothing will absolutely stop trespassers but in my experience the more deterrents you add the better off you will be.

If you get one of these tough Texans that brings their own chain saw well basically you're screwed. laugh

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

If you get one of these tough Texans that brings their own chain saw well basically you're screwed. laugh

or one of the craftier ones that carries a 38 caliber camera shooter

Brettski #252605 03/24/11 11:33 AM
E
E
That would be my fear with paying $100 for a camera....coming back to find the lens shot out.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
These motion alarms are cheap and could help spook any intruder, also as has been mentioned, regular loud target practice on your property can be a good deterrent, that's my favorite tactic.
http://cgi.ebay.com/IR-Wireless-Motion-S...=item5d2e06ce58

R
R
I'd like one of those alarms to put near my fruit trees. I didn't see if it was rated for outdoor use. But, its so inexpensive, I guess I could replace it after every rain during fruit season!

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I have some friends that have had issues with trespassing and here are a few suggestions...Put up alarm signs. "protected by Sentry alarms" etc. The idea is the trespasser may believe that they have triggered an alarm and that the authorities or owner are on the way.
Another suggestion for land that is served by electricity is to put motion detector lighting in. Put it on your main road and when you drive in at night it will trigger and light up and also can make an alarm sign more visible. This can also be connected to a buzzer. If someone passes through our main gate a buzzer goes off at our house letting us know someone has entered. This can work to startle a trespasser.
Finally, consider occassionally carrying a holstered sidearm with you when you know neighbors kids or others are in the area. Make sure they see you carrying it. A friend of mine has a big Colt pistol that he carries frequently when he is on his property for a number of reasons. He has had some break ins and vandalism to deal with. There is something very intimidating about a stern looking land owner walking around with a cannon strapped to his hip that will make you think twice before wanting to cross him!

"Our Life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, Simplify" -Henry David Thoreau -
Captain1 #252759 03/26/11 02:14 PM
R
R
Just a thought for some that may absentee landowners... As some of these said trespassers are likely neighbors, and assuming they may be reasonable people(of course some are lost causes) would you be better off explaining your fish management practices and gaining an ally/extra set of eyes rather than intimidate? I know I for one would go the extra mile to defend and help a neighbor who offered a chance to wet a line from time to time rather than the one who just outbid me and told i would get shot if ever caught me looking at his pond. Landowner myself and certainly understand the time and investment many have tied up in their property but as stated just a thought.

esshup #252764 03/26/11 02:47 PM
O
O
Get tough with them or they will run you over. Signs will not work except to aid in prosecution. Get the sheriff and game warden involved. place game cams by your signs and get pics and turn in those tearing down for vandalism If you can disrupt them enough and ruin enough of their trips they will eventually move on to easier targets. We had the same problem when we moved to our place because the old landowner let anyone and everyone hunt. After two years of turning everyone in and firing shots in the air we finally have it under control, however, as soon as my pond is complete i am sure we are going to have it start all over again. Hopefully taking this into account while building the pond will help. The side along the gravel road that is farthest away we choked with shallow cedars, palllets and cut hawthorns and anything else to snag a lure to make it nearly impossible to fish from the bank from those areas. Then we reenforced the fence and laid locust branches on the back side then planted black berries all along the fence trying to make it impenatrable. Next we got the nearest neighbors involved giving them permission to fish (following our rules) so they would have a vested interest in keeping poachers out. Good luck

russaber #252768 03/26/11 03:19 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
russaber, you have the right approach, but there are just too many neighbors who take advantage. It is a must to befriend the ones have respect for others and self esteem.

At my place, we have neighbors at our gate who look out for our place and call if they see trouble. But there are many of them just want to hunt, fish, and quad/ATV on my land. A lot of them are poachers also. Others don't want to be bothered and don't bother anyone, and that is also a great neighbor to have.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil #252774 03/26/11 04:12 PM
R
R
Agreed sunil, sad to say but our best neighbors are the ones we never see.

russaber #252859 03/27/11 08:44 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ozark Striper, I had the same problem when I bought my place 25 years ago. It must have taken 5 years to make trespassers sneak in instead of walking just in.

About 20 years ago, I allowed a good fiend to go up and take his Nephew deer hunting. I showed him a couple of good spots, gave him the key to the gate, and then returned the 70 miles home. While they were sitting, a couple of hunters came by. He stood up and waved to them. They came over and asked what he was doing on their land. He apologized and left. In other words, he had the wisdom not to confront them.

I'm not working on gaining any wisdom.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I really don't ever go patrol my property during any of the deer seasons. The feeling of being sighted in from a few hundred yards away is not high on my list of good times.

Sunil #252875 03/27/11 10:08 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My favorite story is from one of my former taxidermy customers when I used to mount deer vs. just fish. He walked out to one if his stands on his property only to see someone else in it. He walked up to the gentleman and asked him if he had permission. The guy said he did from the landowner and would he please get the **** away so he could hunt. Really nasty and macho. The landowner replied that's funny I don't recall giving you permission, I've never seen you in my life, and furthermore if you don't get out of my tree stand right now I'm going to blow your *** out. grin The guy complied.

Another friend of mine a Vietnam Veteran that runs a trout hatchery in Michigan confronted some young raggedy looking men hunting on his property without permission. When he confronted the three guys that were half his age he heard something to the effect, "Bring it on old man we can take you!" My friend pulled a firearm off of the set of his pick up and and said, "Yep I'm an old man with nothing to lose and Vietnam vet to boot, and according to the VA I've got a screw loose. And this won't be the first time I've killed a human being. What'd say we all do down in a blaze of glory! They backed down muttering something like that dude is ****** crazy lets get out of here

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/27/11 10:20 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Was once asked what I would do if I caught someone stealing Chrismas trees from my back field. I swear that I did not even have to think but just said "it depends on if the ground is frozen or not". I never have had any problems with stealing.

RAH #252971 03/28/11 03:45 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I have two more no trespassing stories if no one minds. Hopefully I haven't already posted them.

The first one is another trout farmer, this one in Ohio. He has what is know as a "blue hole" on his property. That is a collapsed well that got so large it became a pond about a half acre in size. It goes straight down to 60 feet and the banks are pretty much vertical. Dan also has artesian well flow of I think 3000 gpm.

Dan doesn't live at the farm and drove in one day to see two little tikes about 4 or 5 years old fishing the blue hole. Dan didn't really mind the fishing but it terrified him that if they fell in they'd never get out. So Dan decided to make sure they wouldn't ever want to come back. The two tikes took off with their little snoopy poles, but of course at 4 or 5 you can't run very fast. Dan ran behind them (more of a jog) pretending he was going to get them. I'm sure they thought they were Hansel and Gretel or something. He said they cried and were scared and ran all the way home (three houses down) with Dan right behind them. He felt bad about it but knew if they fell in and drowned he'd feel a lot worse. Anyway once he got to the house he found the lady of the house and read her the riot act. He explained to her where they were and if they had fallen in they would never come back. Hasn't had a problem with them since.

Dan had another problem one day. He came up to the property only to find teenagers netting trout out of his raceway. Before he snuck up cornered them and very tersely explained the were stealing his livelihood he let the air out of one of their tires. There was a front loader nearby and he had them believing that if he wanted to he would bury them on the property and no one would know what happened to them. The girls in the group by this time were in tears. Anyway he let them go with a promise they would not come back. Dan's brother-in-law showed up later and ask,"I just saw the damnest thing. A car load of teenagers hat seemed to be really upset and they were driving slowly on a flat tire." Or was it two flat tires?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/29/11 02:32 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

T
T
Guys - my place is a weekend location almost two hour drive from my house. There is no hardwired internet (cable, fios, DSL, etc) available. But there is cell phone service. So...this may be the same case for others with trespassing issues. I am looking into these options:

http://www.offsitecommander.com/
http://www.proxicast.com/security/security-video.htm
http://www.eyetrax.net/index.aspx#5

tchunter #254413 04/09/11 08:16 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I've thought about it but just don't want to spend that much $.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
No better protection than befriending a neighbor and giving him or her exclusive access to your place. We live on our place now, but for the first couple years one of our neighbors was given trapping and walking rights to our farm (except deer season). He now has permission to also take as many bluegill from our pond as he wishes, but needs to throw back the CC and LMB (not really an issue since this winter's fish kill). Choosing the right person is critical. This fellow (and his wife) leave no trash and are respectful of property rights. He is also a good shot but not stupid. He has called us on several occasions when unknown vehicals have gone up our drive and we were away. We have not had any real issues since I made it clear to the local tresspassers that I would defend my property rights, but another set of eyes is a good thing.

RAH #254487 04/10/11 01:53 PM
T
T
I agree, a trustworthy neighbor is a good thing. The issue i run into are 1) problems during the night when teenagers, etc park their vehicles on the street side of the gate and then trespass. It's not a busy road, so they can turn off the headlights and be somewhat secluded and 2) during the days people come onto the property while my neighbors are at work.

To Dave Davidson - i am sure you've seen moultries' version. cost about half of those i listed. just not sure how good they work.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images