Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,927
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
8 members (Fishingadventure, Groundhog7, JPierson, Bobbss, gautprod, Tinylake, Knobber, Jward87), 1,063 guests, and 201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
i am new to this board, and what i have been reading here the last couple of weeks, this is awesome. a lot of good info here. here is my problem and i hope someone can help. i have a .85 acre pond about 2 1/2 yrs old 5 1/2 feet deep. i have been battling algae this year and it is driving me crazy. i have the floating algae and what i think is chara. the algae is so thick that it is clinging to the chara and looks like it is coated with mud (1/2 th 3/4" thick on the chara) i have been treating it with crystal plex at the recomended dosage. i was told by the distributor that i should treat 1/3 at a time. i am on my last treatment and then they told me to use bio clear after the last treatment. i will do the last treatment tomorrow, but i wanted to rake out as much as i could first. i also read on other posts that a pool skimmer would work well for getting as much of the floating stuff out before treatment. got any ideas on what will work best for killing the algae, as the crystal plex does not appear to be working. i am thinking about cutrine + does the liquid or the granular work best. by the way, the pond has lb and bg in it.

dennis
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Never heard of crystal plex. Is it some form of copper sulfate? If so is, your water quite hard? If that is the case normal copper sulfate will have little effect. It could be you need to wait somewhat also.

Curtrine plus works better in hard water and it could be an option if this one does not work out. I use a net, duck taped to an alluminum pole that is sold at a local Bait and Tackle for spearing fish. I have filamentous algae for about a month and a half max in spring and then the chara dominates and uptakes the nutrients. I don't find the Chara to be too much of a problem but will be introducing grass carp as they like chara.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

F
F
DONT use copper.
Use Diquat or Reglone.
Consult your chem supply(or state ag losers), and they'll tell you a dose based on KH/TA

I'm old :-(
Lunker
Lunker
Big bass - in case you're interested in a second opinion..........
*DO USE one of the chelated copper algaecide formulation (CUTRINE et al) if so desired, but not exclusively or extensively, as there are many algae management techniques that are available.
*DON'T use REGLONE in your pond since it isn't labeled for aquatic uses - period! REWARD or WEEDTRINE D are appropriate options - though not always the most cost-effective chemical alternatives for controlling algae.
*Consult with someone who has knowledge of and first-hand experience with aquatic algaecides (and herbicides), which doesn't necessarily include many chemical suppliers, feed stores or ag extension personnel.

Good algae control starts with proper preventative measures, which include the pond's depth-design, reducing water clarity and avoiding nutrient-loading. Other control measures to consider are physical removal, lake dyes (in some cases), microbial treatments and the prudent use of appropriate algaecides.
In general, I would avoid using copper sulfate for most ponds. It doesn't have a very good environmental reputation - and some fish species may be very sensitive to all forms of copper under certain water-conditions.
Chara is a tough critter to tame. Physical removal, when possible, followed by judicious treatments of CUTRINE PLUS Granular seems to work fairly well - up until the time that calcium deposits begin to form on the Chara as the season advances.
Review (search) some of the past threads on algae and Chara control for more details.
KD

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by gautprod - 04/23/24 07:59 PM
Sealing a pond with steep slopes without liner
by gautprod - 04/23/24 07:22 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 05:22 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves