Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Neal Horner, Champ59, fletchccc, etx-pond-c, Painterpond
18,537 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,020
Posts558,577
Members18,537
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
2 members (Boondoggle, Willy Wonka), 579 guests, and 238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#251290 03/13/11 06:21 PM
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
I installed a new K&N CAI on my GMC, did a test run, and cleaned her up inside and out. Then I removed the winter tires and chains from the Mule. Spring is imminent and we are ready in these parts!!

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Dwight, do you have a MAF on the GMC?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Dwight, do you have a MAF on the GMC?

Yes it is mounted on the back side of the intake tube. If you look closely you can see the top of it just under the CRL.

Bremer Pond Weather
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yep, I see it now. FYI, VW uses a wire type MAF and we've found that the oiled air filters, over time, screw up the MAF. An oil film is deposited on the wire, and that causes problems with the MAF. Most guys have ditched the oiled air filters after they have the MAF fail. We're talking 20+K miles here....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
Yep, I see it now. FYI, VW uses a wire type MAF and we've found that the oiled air filters, over time, screw up the MAF. An oil film is deposited on the wire, and that causes problems with the MAF. Most guys have ditched the oiled air filters after they have the MAF fail. We're talking 20+K miles here....

I researched that issue before buying the kit. I also asked my GMC Service manager about it an he said that it isn't a problem. Then I read up on the subject here: K&N.

Last edited by Dwight; 03/14/11 01:50 PM.

Bremer Pond Weather
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Good news then! Maybe the problem is limited to VW and their MAF system??

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
That could be, though I no nothing about their system or how it works.

Bremer Pond Weather
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My VW uses a "hot wire" system. That's about all that I know. It's been discussed on the VW TDI forum a bunch and the general concensus over the years is that it's better to stick with the factory non-oiled air filter system for the TDI's.

Dad has used one on his diesel Suburban since he got it in '97, and on his previous Suburban, and I've used them on other vehicles without any problems. But, none of mine had MAF's. I'd have put one on my car if it wasn't for the guys on the forum saying not to because of a high frequency of MAF failures after installing the oiled filters. Sort of like on here, when a majority of people say "don't do that", I listen.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I put the K&N on my 2010 GMC 1/2 ton about 10,000 miles back. No problems so far. Didn't see alot of MPG improvement but the HP difference was noticable. I ran one on my 06 Chevy also. I think it's a pretty good product. I'm ready for spring here too!

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

Cisco #251551 03/15/11 02:49 PM
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
I like the sound that it makes from a standing start with tires a smokin' and the smell of combusted ethanol burning the nostrils. grin

I wonder what a 4" exhaust system would do? Stay tuned, no pun intended....

Bremer Pond Weather
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
You have the big 6.8L in yours right? Mine won't smoke the tires due to the traction control always being on unless you hit the button to turn it off which is what I do everytime I get in it!

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

Cisco #251588 03/15/11 07:07 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I can see it now. Pretty soon Dwight will be looking for a set of ET Streets and a Nitrous System.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Having sold auto parts for 26 years along with the rebuild kits for many of the engines I sold K&N filters to be installed on. Ten years of that 26, there was a machine shop in the basement that specialized in race and performance enine builds...they loved K&N for keeping them working.

That extra air flow comes at a much higher price than a Mass Air Flow sensor..in the biz, K&N air filters are know as sales boosting engine eaters. Sand and dust tends to flow right through after about 5000 miles regardless of cleaning and oiling due to the cotton losing "fluff" and the air channeling. As much as I dislike Fram Filter quality, the AIR HOG filter is pretty good. The K&N Cold Air Injection tubes are great, but I'd switch to an Air Hof filter after the first cleaning...Air Hogs are are a bit more pricy than a standard air filter, but have the same air flow as K&N and need to be replaced about every 20K in clean areas. The lower wear on the rings and cylander walls makes it worth it.

Don't get me wrong, K&N WILL increase HP and fuel mileage (if you can keep a light foot). Like ponds, it depends on what price you're willing to pay. Under "normal" conditions, meaning paved roads and keeping your foot on the proper side of the firewall, they work well...They will cut the life of a true performance engine, used as such, or dusty road use engines by half.

Last edited by Rainman; 03/15/11 09:28 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I just sold my truck (sucks long story). I had functional K&N ram air. Heres a pic of her.. I will have a new truck here soon..

Attached Images
IMG_1914.jpg

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Having sold auto parts for 26 years along with the rebuild kits for many of the engines I sold K&N filters to be installed on. Ten years of that 26, there was a machine shop in the basement that specialized in race and performance enine builds...they loved K&N for keeping them working.

That extra air flow comes at a much higher price than a Mass Air Flow sensor..in the biz, K&N air filters are know as sales boosting engine eaters. Sand and dust tends to flow right through after about 5000 miles regardless of cleaning and oiling due to the cotton losing "fluff" and the air channeling. As much as I dislike Fram Filter quality, the AIR HOG filter is pretty good. The K&N Cold Air Injection tubes are great, but I'd switch to an Air Hof filter after the first cleaning...Air Hogs are are a bit more pricy than a standard air filter, but have the same air flow as K&N and need to be replaced about every 20K in clean areas. The lower wear on the rings and cylander walls makes it worth it.

Don't get me wrong, K&N WILL increase HP and fuel mileage (if you can keep a light foot). Like ponds, it depends on what price you're willing to pay. Under "normal" conditions, meaning paved roads and keeping your foot on the proper side of the firewall, they work well...They will cut the life of a true performance engine, used as such, or dusty road use engines by half.

There is a lot of conjecture and anecdotal evidence out there on one air filter versus another. My research showed that there has not been a systematic scientific evaluation of the various air filter types and brands.

Does anyone have an airflow bench and microscopic particle analyzer that I can borrow so I can do the scientific evaluation?

Maybe a government grant? grin

Bremer Pond Weather
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I can't speak for their use on automotive applications, but I gave up using them on the kart I used to race. I raced strictly on dirt, and I could always find particulates in the carb throat after a race when I used a K&N.

By the way... you guys ever hear the sound a Briggs makes at 8000 rpm on alcohol?? Sweeeet.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Dwight, there was one guy on the 6.2 diesel forum that used an engine oil analysis service every month on his motor. When he switched to a oiled filter to let more air into his motor he saw an increase in silica levels in his oil analysis.

Now, will that cause more wear? I dunno. Dad has almost 250K on his 6.5 TD in the Suburban and he's run either a K&N or Amsoil oiled air filter since he bought the truck new. The motor still seems like it's running fine - no increased oil consumption, etc.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Dwight, you will enjoy the improvements with your filter...The sales pitch and studies are not false that K&N makes, nor are any other company press releases on the "name brand" perfofmance filters. The reports ARE however intended to create sales and prove claims and woefully incomplete on the particulate sizes they can filter after evn little use on any application.

For pure filtering capability of the finest particulates with the least amount of restriction found, WIX filters are by far the best choice out there...a fairly low restriction and an average 5 micron filtering capability over the life of the filter.

IIRC, K$N's best micron rating is 15 microns on a brand new filter...after even a few hundred miles, that filtering ability will be close to 50 microns....thats fine sand sized particles that flow straight into the engine. Not anecdotal evidence, it's fact. In any situation, using K&N or any low restriction air filter/oil filter WILL reduce engine life.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Interesting Rex. I'm using K&N on both of my 4 wheelers and one vehicle. Starting to think.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
WOW so thats why my 1993 z71 with only 299,467K miles showing is starting to show signs of weakness. Must be that darn K&N I've been running with sense the first oil change. All my rides have seen plenty of dirt roads. MY 2002 z71 has 150K on it running K&N I'm not to worried about it. The rings are so loose in these new LS engines that the dust just falls into the crank. The pistons are bound to cause engine failure from slapping the cylinder walls well before the dust gets it.

Last edited by rockytopper; 03/17/11 12:00 PM.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
I went on a 100 miler round trip today. It was on two lane roads and I drove 60 mph except while driving through towns. With 100% E85 in the tank and my E85 Predator Tune installed I got 21.3 mpg. In my mind that is pretty good mileage for a 4WD truck with the 6.2 engine running on E85.

Bremer Pond Weather
F
F
Funny to me how quickly a topic as innocuous as air filters can take on contentious overtones. Kind of reminds me of HBG or GSF.

" EVERY DAY I'M AMAZED BY HOW MANY THINGS I DON'T KNOW AND HOW MUCH STUFF I DON'T UNDERSTAND"
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
Originally Posted By: findfoolfight
Funny to me how quickly a topic as innocuous as air filters can take on contentious overtones. Kind of reminds me of HBG or GSF.

Motorhead passions run high just like Fishhead passions! laugh

Bremer Pond Weather
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Dwight
Originally Posted By: findfoolfight

Motorhead passions run high just like Fishhead passions! laugh

Well said Sir Dwight.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dwight
I went on a 100 miler round trip today. It was on two lane roads and I drove 60 mph except while driving through towns. With 100% E85 in the tank and my E85 Predator Tune installed I got 21.3 mpg. In my mind that is pretty good mileage for a 4WD truck with the 6.2 engine running on E85.

Heck yes it is! What was the mpg before the upgrades?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
JB Askew
Recent Posts
Optimal vs Purina. Optimal for the Win
by Willy Wonka - 05/21/24 03:35 AM
Stocking a new 17 acre, 25 ft deep pond in KC, MO
by fletchccc - 05/20/24 11:12 PM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Boondoggle - 05/20/24 10:01 PM
Spillway recovery from record rains
by Fishingadventure - 05/20/24 07:17 PM
Trapping the Crays
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 05:16 PM
Fish Finder?
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 04:03 PM
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by Sunil - 05/20/24 08:09 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 04:54 PM
TadpolePalooza!
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 11:20 AM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/17/24 11:57 AM
BG sex?
by Bill Cody - 05/16/24 08:50 PM
Newly Uploaded Images