Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,128
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
16 members (rjackson, esshup, jpsdad, Boondoggle, jbird5986, Sunil, Rick O, Angler8689, anthropic, Justin W, Bing, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg), 946 guests, and 190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#250907 03/09/11 04:08 PM
G
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
I know brook, rainbow and cutthroat trout can do well in ponds but what about brown trout?

Can they live in small ponds?

V
V
Brown trout can live in ponds but a lot of people suggest not stocking them because they can be more difficult to catch. They also have a reputation of eating smaller trout. Most trout will, but browns seem to do it more than others. If all of your fish are close to the same size that shouldn't be an issue. If I had a pond that could hold trout year round I would probably stock some browns in it. The one at my house now won't hold trout through the summer so it's strictly put and take but I am considering stocking some browns in it this fall. The guy I bought the rainbows and goldens from this spring said he'll have some available then, but they will be on the small side at only 7-9 inches so I'll probably only stock a small number of them to see how they do. While rainbows and brookies are easier to catch it's not like browns are impossible. In my experience they don't take to prepared baits much but can be caught on lures, minnows, and worms, it just takes a little more effort than with other trout.

G
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
It think it also depends on whether the brown trout are hatchery raised or wild fish.

Wild brown trout seem to be harder to catch.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
In 2009 I stocked brook, rainbow, and brown trout, when fishing for them I caught brooks and rainbows but never caught a single brown.
The only way I got them was with my fish traps, so it appears even hatchery BRNT are wary.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
When I stock them in the creek behind our hunting cabin, I usually catch the browns first. They are far more aggressive towards spinners compared to rainbows. Once they are hooked and released once though, they become very tough to catch again...

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Brown trout have been in limited supply in these parts. Since we are near food fish operation ( Western NC) the rainbows are much cheaper. However in the past we have done a decent amount of brown stocking. In ponds MUCH more difficult for most pondowners to harvest. Folks stock them becaue they are told they survivie better. Yes a couple of degrees (debatable) but if in a put and take situation where they are not going to oversummer rainbows easier.

Gambusia yes they can live just fine in ponds. If you can keep over the summer try some out for diversity.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: jackcool1
Typified by the fact that the brown trout is largely freshwater fish, while the sea trout shows anadromous reproduction, migration into the oceans for a large part of his life and return to freshwater only to spawn. Also there able to live in small ponds but there needs must be satisfied.

Getting closer to relevance. Er, on second thought, maybe not.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Originally Posted By: jackcool1
Typified by the fact that the brown trout is largely freshwater fish, while the sea trout shows anadromous reproduction, migration into the oceans for a large part of his life and return to freshwater only to spawn. Also there able to live in small ponds but there needs must be satisfied.

I'm lost too...

Brown trout can be landlocked or anadromous. For those not knowing what anadromous means, basically it is a species who generally spends most of its adult life at sea and only enters frestwater, generally rivers to spawn. There are instances of brown trout that are land locked and those that go out to the ocean and come back to their natal rivers to spawn. These trout are often called "sea run" trout or "coasters".

What this has to do with the original post I am not sure?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 08:24 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday