Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,093
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
18 members (BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, esshup, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson), 739 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
U
urup Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Sounds good. Thanks rainman

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rex, you mean ones that look like this? grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Scott, that's a real pretty picture of a very "clean" fish!! Cool. Also a great image of the rounded anal fin.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks Dave. That fish was tagged and put back in the pond. (numbered floy tags from Greg Grimes) There should be 4 of those "submarines" swimming around. The rest of the CC are 5# and under.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: sprkplug

Surefire method? Really? I don't believe that a blanket statement such as this will apply to every situation. HBG have their place, and when properly managed will do quite well, and will NOT become GSF.

urup, congrats on the fish!!

The most common hybrid bluegill is crossed with the green sunfish. A redear cross would be labeled as such and worth more as they're far superior in beauty and size. With Hybrid Bluegill/Greenies you're basically stocking fish that are half green sunfish. Eventually some of the offspring will resemble green sunfish more than bluegill.

I didn't say they didn't have a purpose either. The do have bigger mouths than bluegill.

-Allch Chcar
Living the dream, 21 acres. No pond, yet.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
And are more aggressive than either BG or GSF - that is the main value as a put and take fishery (a/k/a a kids pond). There are 2 HBG and as best we can tell they are different - mBG X fGSF and the reciprocal cross mGSF X fBG. See this thread -- HBG pic/question - http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=1341&Number=14459#Post14459

BTW Bill is working on a HBG archive.

Last edited by ewest; 02/22/11 01:31 PM.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Allchca:
I didn't intend for my post to come across as a personal attack on you. I apologize to you and the membership if it was interpreted as such. You have to remember that the general public visits this forum looking for answers, and I feel they deserve to hear the facts from both sides of a particular subject. The key word here being facts, not opinions, or unsupported guesswork. There are times when an honest guess is the best I have to offer. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as a lot of folks on here. When that happens, I try to be sure and label my response as such: a guess, or opinion, not to be taken as an absolute fact. While I am a supporter of HBG when stocked in the appropriate environment, you may be surprised to learn that although I have 6 ponds, only 1 has HBG in it. The rest have northern strain BG and RES. I eat, sleep, and breathe trying to learn everything I can that has to do with BG, ALL variations of BG.
I am a relative newcomer to the PB forum, so I have had to spend countless hours delving into the archives reading about BG and HBG. I honestly think I have read everything here that pertains to these fish. Along the way I've figured out a few things.
Inquiries regarding HBG are one of the most common items posted here. They can also be one of the most likely to be, shall we say, tiptoed around? This is in no way meant as a criticism to anyone. I'm sure that the mods and the senior members of the forum all groan in unison over the same questions arising over and over. Perhaps a more user-friendly search function, or a commonly asked questions area that is species specific would help alleviate some of the repitiveness.
Then you have the personal aspect. unfortunately, it appears in years' past that there was some bad blood involving a variant of HBG. Suffice to say there were casualties on both sides. Understandably, this is not an area that most senior members wish to re-visit.
I would hazard a guess that most BG enthusiasts' begin their journey with HBG. Whether or not they look back on it as a neccessary evil that they forced themselves to endure, or merely a simple rite of passage, is a question that only they can answer.
If I am in my HBG "phase", then I welcome it. I haven't put the time in that others before me have, so I have yet to earn my answers. I am looking forward to the process.
This much I do know. A HBG is most certainly not the miracle sunfish that it is sometimes portrayed to be. It has issues that limit it's applications, and a wise pondmeister will pay heed to these shortcomings. However, it doesn't have to be some type of evil, finned genie, who when released from it's lamp will lay waste to your water.
I hope I haven't opened Pandora's box here today, I know I've typed a similar message many times before and always deleted it. If I have crossed the line, please take any action you deem appropriate, and accept my apology.

Tony

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
All the species have a use and place in ponds, it all comes down to what each pond situation is and the goals of the owners. The more I've learned, the more I see "facts" only apply in labaratories and specific settings...when it comes to the pond itself, it all seems to come down to making the best educated guess we can based on a multitude of experiences, but it's still a guess nonetheless.

Edit...Personally, I think tilapia are the best fish too stock! grin laugh laugh

Last edited by Rainman; 02/22/11 02:39 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Edit...Personally, I think tilapia are the best fish too stock! grin laugh laugh

They are difficult to entice onto a hook thru the ice tho..... wink

I stocked either 50 or 100 HNG in my pond in the Spring of 2008. Only one Northern Strain BG died during the renovation, and I've only caught about 10 of the HBG's. Dunno where the rest of them went. Some of the BG in the pond are pushing 10" and I know at least one that is larger than that.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Sprkplug nice post. I did not see any problem. No problem discussing HBG here. HBG questions come up a lot and that is why Bill is working on an archive. If you are interested in BG you might check the American Fisheries Society books section as they have an excellent book on BG. It is absolutely full of info on every aspect of BG.

http://www.afsbooks.org/55054P?keyword=bluegill&category_id=0

Last edited by ewest; 02/22/11 10:36 PM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
thats is one fat cat!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: DogLoyalty
thats is one fat cat!

Yes it is, but I caught one in 2009 that was even chunkier. The one pictured above was 29.5" and 15.94# (WR 127), the one in 2009 was 29" and 14.8# (WR 140). The one in 2009 was caught 5/15/2009 on a floating Original Rapala F09 Silver/Black on 4# test. It hit the lure in 3'-4' of water and I thought it was a large LMB at first, but was puzzled why it didn't jump.

Both CC are back in the pond swimming around, and tagged with a numbered floy tag to check their growth if ever caught again.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
There's no problem here Sprkplug, not how I see it. I only wanted it to be known that HBG are green sunfish hybrids. There should be some due caution when stocking them just like Crappie/Perch or anything with a remote chance of getting out of control. But they do serve a purpose. Heck some people here are big fans of Green sunfish laugh.

Hopefully we can be friends and get along.

-Allch Chcar
Living the dream, 21 acres. No pond, yet.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
All good on my end Allchca. Heck, I've even got friends who have the audacity to suggest that LMB are sporting fish in their own right. Poor misguided souls. Don't they know that LMB are just a management tool, to be used to enhance the BG fishery? I'm trying to educate them, but I fear it's an uphill battle..... smile

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13