Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,095
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (Sunil, jpsdad, azteca, esshup, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure), 694 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
Ok guys, I'm looking for advice on what to stock my pond with. I guess the biggest question is the amount and size. I want to hopefully be able to catch fish by mid summer. I'm thinking about BG and CC. I will be using this pond for the kids, youth group at church and family. It will probably get fished often. Thanks in advance for the help...Also any recommendations on suppliers I can purchase the fish from would be helpful.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Some factors are:

Are you willing to feed your fish?

Do you have major cost restraints?

How self sustaining do you want your pond to be?(as in, are you willing to restock fish every year or every other year?)

If you are willing to feed your fish, money isn't really tight and you are willing to restock fish annually... My best advice for a very high quality fishery for your goals(church and family, heavily fished) is this.

Stock HBG(hybrid BG), CC and HSB.

All three are easy to source in GA. All are fairly cheap to stock. All eat pellets quite well with good growth rates. All can be bought at advanced sizes meaning if stocked this spring, they can be at catchable and edible size by mid to late summer. Because all are fairly cheap, they can be restocked annually allowing for heavy fishing pressure even in a smaller 3/4 acre pond.

If you are unwilling, unable to afford or don't like this idea other options are available... However, they will not produce as high a quality fishing as the previously mentioned option, particularly under heavy fishing pressure. Plus most youngsters and church type fishing outings are not "serious" fisherman, so the challenge of fishing in a heavily fished 3/4 acre pond stocked with more self sustaining fish is going to lead to poor fishing results IMO.

I would seriously consider the first mentioned option as I don't feel it is overly expensive but will fit your needs perfectly. But let's see what others have to see as they may have another solution to your goals and constraints...

If you decide you like the idea, I can give a good idea on what numbers to stock. With you living in GA, forum member Greg Grimes will most likely be able to service your fish stocking needs as his company is in GA.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Oh yeah, welcome to the forum!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Welcome Johnny!

If you are wanting the pond to be fished mostly by kids, I second CJBS's suggestions of going with HSB, BG and CC. If you can feed pellets as suggested, You could stock up to 1500 or more Hybrid Gills, 150 CC and probably 50 or so Hybrid striped bass.

Since you would like to fish yet this summer, it could get VERY costly to stock all adult fish. If the stocking budget is fairly limited, I would suggest stocking 200-500 6"+ HBG (if available) and 1000 3-4", 50 12"+ CC and any extras in the 6" range, and all 6-8" HSB to help control the HBG and CC offspring.

This will give you something that can be caught (don't keep or target any HSB) and give you plenty of fish left to grow. Also, keep any of the larger CC that get caught so they don't become hook shy.

If that is still too expensive, stock all smaller fish and plan on limited fishing for two years with none the first year at all.

With any plan, I would also suggest 20 pounds of Fathead Minnows, several hundred Gambusia (Mosquito Fish) and several pounds of golden shiners as a forage fish and rapid growth for the target fish. Greg knows the area better than anyone and won't sell you more than you need!

As for a supplier...Greg Grimes of Aquatic Enviornmental Services www.LakeWork.com in Ball Ground, Ga. can take care of you. If he can't I drive through the area a couple times in the spring. There is also American Sport Fish in Birmingham as a supplier. Call Greg first.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Johnny feel free to give us a call explain goals and we can give you advice and prices. You have gotten some god advice so far. Where in GA are you located? Thanks and good luck

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
J
OP Offline
J
Greg, I have been talking with you guys already. As a matter a fact, I had already decided to go with either y'all or another fellow in South Georgia. Matt, with you guys said to go with 200 4-5" BG and 250 6-8" CC. He said I could go with the bigger CC 8-11" if I wanted. He said that should be plenty of fish for what I was wanting to do. Said the BG would reproduce good. Any more suggestions would be greatful. Thanks...Oh yea The pond is in Rockmart, Harrolson County.

J
OP Offline
J
And I do plan on feeding the fish regularly...

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Great Johnny I appreciate it. Good advice especially since you are feeding and taking out a good many to eat. You will need bass at some point to keep the bluegill in check. We are not pushy just want you to do what is right to meet your goals but Love for matt to get you a feeder as well. Not neccesary for several months due to cold weather. Rockmart is near Matt's hunting lease in polk county.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the reponse Greg. When should I plan on putting the bass in and what size?? Heck I may want to talk to Matt about his hunting lease...

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Yes give Matt a call he is in SC working until friday. The bass for your goals would not go in until earliest June as fingerlings or small adults by late summer you want the forage well established first. Might want to try a few fathead minnows also and see if they can get ahead of the 4-5 bluegill. Thanks

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
The idea of pure BG and LMB in a 3/4 acre pond that is gonna receive heavy fishing pressure means a few hook shy bass and small BG. At least that has been my experience with small ponds that receive heavy fishing pressure.

The HBG, CC, HSB combination is still IMO the best combination for a smaller pond receiving heavy fishing pressure by inexperienced anglers.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass