Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
2 members (Dave Davidson1, jpsdad), 719 guests, and 204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
Beetle Spin. One hook, 96 cents. Easy in, easy out.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Most effective for me? Maybe a minnow type stick bait or a worm; but... I don't find myself using them much any more out of concern about foul hooking fish. I tend to use single hooks with barb bent down. More spinner baits and top waters.

FWIW: I know many have tremendous success with big bass jigs; but I just haven't had much luck with them. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
So far the winners look like H&H, Senkos or Senko knockoffs and a variety of spinners. And anything Chartreuse and black!

"Our Life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, Simplify" -Henry David Thoreau -
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
I use a weedless worm.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
smallies its tubes or minnow cranks, LM its Rubber worms and of course surface baits, HSB its spoons and spinnerbiats

Salmonid

Have fish..Will Travel
Mark Blauvelt - Dayton Ohio
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.75 acre pond, HSB,YP,CC,BC,BCF,BG,HBG,RES
D
D
I heat, live shiner on a bobber....

D
D
sorry...cheat

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
I cheat too. I quite often trap 3 and 4 inch bluegills for bait.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I would have to say a 1/8th ounce yellow dot mepps black fury is the most productive for me. As long as the body of water is fairly shallow (like 15 feet or less) they produce year round in slightly off-colored water.

Next for me would have to be a strike king pro mini 3 in sexy shad, followed by a strike king bitsy pond minnow.

Oh, and Ranger... I am terrible fishing jigs as well. I just can't figure out how to fish them.

Last edited by Gflo; 02/05/11 10:10 PM.

Dr. Flores D.V.M.
F
F
Originally Posted By: dracor
sorry...cheat
Don't be sorry. No matter what the Purist say. Consider:
#1 You still have to buy or catch or trap the RIGHT bait...whats right? shiners?..minnows?..bluegill?..crawdads?..yellow perch?..nightcrawlers?
#2 You have to keep that bait alive and fresh..not always an easy task.
#3 You have to decide where and how to properly and effectively hook it...you must decide on the most efficient method to present that bait to obtain maximum results.....should I slow troll or drift this 6" shiner on a free line with 10# test with no lead or float on a #2 tru-turn out over the deep grass beds? ...should I nose hook this 4" bluegill suspended 3' below a balloon and toss it out next to those laydowns? or should I let the wind carry it right over those bass beds? ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC
#4 Do I own and am I using the right tackle to correctly present this bait the way I've decided it should be presented and if so is it and am I able to successfully hook, play and land that fish?
I could go on with this for pages...but I think you get the point...I don't advocate or condone senseless violence....BUT the next time someone says you are cheating by using live bait you have my permission to SLAP THEM REAL HARD RIGHT IN THE MOUTH!!!

" EVERY DAY I'M AMAZED BY HOW MANY THINGS I DON'T KNOW AND HOW MUCH STUFF I DON'T UNDERSTAND"
F
F
Originally Posted By: Rangersedge
Most effective for me? Maybe a minnow type stick bait or a worm; but... I don't find myself using them much any more out of concern about foul hooking fish. I tend to use single hooks with barb bent down. More spinner baits and top waters.

FWIW: I know many have tremendous success with big bass jigs; but I just haven't had much luck with them. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Hey Edge! It's not about the actual lure itself, it's about your confidence! Unless hospice care is imminent you still have time to do what I did 30 years ago. Look in you tackle box and find the lures you "don't know what you're doing wrong" with and ask yourself..how much time do I actually spend throwin this lure?? Then on your next fishing trip spend the day using ONLY that bait. Better yet use only that bait for the next month or the next summer. Heck...back when I decided to devote my entire life to this pursuit I would spend a year with only one lure in my boat. In 1975 for example I fished exclusively with various types of spinnerbaits...period. Trust me at the end of that year I was a MASTER of that bait and my confidence in it is still strong today.
Try it!!!Who knows this time next year you might decide to change your stage name to MRJIG or JIGGUY or JIGKING smile

" EVERY DAY I'M AMAZED BY HOW MANY THINGS I DON'T KNOW AND HOW MUCH STUFF I DON'T UNDERSTAND"
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I used to hate to fish with jigs. I think the easy way to get a feel for it is to use a swimming jig with a Paca Craw trailer. I usually let it sink to the bottom then just keep it moving and hopping along. If you feel something that you think might be a strike, just take up the slack and see if a fish is there and set the hook. It is amazing how long a bass will hold onto a jig. Fish it around cover and I promise you will catch fish.

F
F
I never have done very well with jigs either. I've caught a few swimming a jig, and several while site fishing to beds.

Practice makes bad habits. Learning from practice makes perfect.
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
The bass usually eat all the paint off a jig before while I'm have a feeling contest with them.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Rubber worms, salamanders, crawfish are what I always find myself going back to..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
F
F
Since Bass lack hands and pockets set the hook the moment the contest begins...a false hookset only takes .015 seconds.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
For largemouth, a Zara Super Spook Junior in Black.

For smallmouth, I have a lot of luck with gold-colored Little Cleo spoons.

Ponds in TX, lake place in WI, me in CA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails