Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod, JRM
18,493 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,956
Posts557,908
Members18,494
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,531
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
1 members (teehjaeh57), 622 guests, and 183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Tecohorn you do have a lot of different size fish and that is good. Looks like you are making good progress on the renovation. Go see ML's ponds and learn a lot in the process. All those mussels are a good indicator of healthy water. What is that crazy hound looking at in your boat?

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Meadowlark,
I've read about your tilapia and pond renovation dealing with FA and Muck at Boatcycle.com.(Tilapia…Nature's Insurance Policy)Very interesting read..

Also would love to get some first hand advice about grass carp use in our general area...

I was considering putting in a bunch of GC but you and this site have now changed my mind..
Can't wait to discuss that with you..
Also can't wait to read some back issues of Pond Bass Mag..

This pond was once a tremendous BG fishery and now that I look back at it, it was pure luck....
10-12 inch fish were common.. Some up to 1.5lbs were caught.. Most bass were 2-4 lbs.

My next pond will be about an 1.5 acres after I re-do the dam and that will be a big bass pond.. That is for next spring or summer though.. I want to get this going in the right direction first..

Also will be building a home on my farm in the next two/three years so I'll be a busy beaver..
Just have a small camp house now but I like it better than my home in NW Houston..
I only work 3-4 days a week now so I will have time.. Still a little young to retire at 45 but by 55 I hope I'm ready to move full time back to the country and watch the fish and wildlife grow and frolic...

I want a total of 4 ponds when all is done in the next 5-10 years..

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
 Quote:
Originally posted by ewest:
Tecohorn you do have a lot of different size fish and that is good. Looks like you are making good progress on the renovation. Go see ML's ponds and learn a lot in the process. All those mussels are a good indicator of healthy water. What is that crazy hound looking at in your boat?
Thanks... It's been pretty tough work but I love it and need the exercise..
The dog is wanting to go for a ride, He loves it. He likes watching and barking at the fish...
He also cleans up any wasted food near the shore!

That is an electric paddle boat but also has pedals if the battery runs down... It's on a solar trickle charger so it stays charged.

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
I think I'm going to start filling it back up monday or tuesday depending on the weather..
The water temp is really starting to climb but the fish are still doing fine...

Before

After

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Started refilling my pond... It's about time....
3 inch pump is listed at 322 GPM or about 20,000 Gallons Per Hour.. I think I will have to run it for 34 straight hours?? That should put me around 600,000 gallons + or - 100,000 gallons I think...

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Well I visted Meadowlark and had a great time... Super Guy... He showed me around his place and I was blown away.
We spent about 10-15 minutes catching some of prettiest and healthiest CNBG I've ever seen...
All in the 8 inch range..
We spent an hour or so cruising around his place and talking about our future plans.. He has done an incredible job to say the least and owns a piece of paradise called Meadowlark Ranch...

I got to see some of his pacu (what a pretty fish)and also his redneck tilapia set up and some beautiful cattle.... Everything is fat and happy on his ranch..

Anyway, I released the fish in my pond after about 45 minutes of slowly exchanging the water and it seems to have worked out great... I have not found a dead fish yet and one was eating that same afternoon just 6-7 hours after release.. I was a little worried because it is the hottest time of the year.. Temps around 98-100 right now..

It's been a few day's now and I've seen most of them at the surface feeding so everything has went very well..

I used a 30 gallon tuperware tub with a dual output 30-60 gallon aquarium pump hooked to a small 200 watt power invertor (30 bucks at Walmart) with two cheap air stones weighted down with a washer to keep them on the bottom.
I brought along a frozen one gallon container of my pond water and poured about half of it into the tub for the trip home..
ML added some aquarium salt to my container and everything went smooth..

Here are some pictures.. Not the greatest picture of the fish because I didn't want to handle them again or hurt thier chances of survival in anyway but believe me they were studs..

Again thank's ML...

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Bump -- Thanks ML for helping out Tecohorn and spreading those CNBG genes.

Teco how are the transplants doing today ?

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Doing great so far... It's been almost 7 days.. It looks like all have lived...One is actually guarding a nest site as of late saturday afternoon.
I Have my fingers crossed.. I'm not sure what type of time frame is normal for adult fish die-off after introduction into a new pond..??
We are having a very hot period right now... Day after day of 98-100 degree temps...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Theo!
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:35 AM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:34 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:33 AM
Bluegill problem