Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#246267 01/27/11 01:27 PM
B
Buffer Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
B
I have a 5 acre 37'deep pond (oval shaped, shallow at both ends, steep shoreline at sides)that I stocked with 75-2" to 4" LMB a few years ago. They survived through that winter and were 10" by the next July. Put in 50 more but never saw them again.(winter kill?).Close to sustaining LMB? Would a windmill aeration system help? If so, how deep should the diffuser go? My property has no electricity and is in the Bancroft area of Ontario, Canada. Lots of ice and snow. Any suggestions welcome.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hey, Buffer, welcome to Pond Boss! Glad you found us and posted.

I'm not an aeration expert by any means, but from reading here, it seems a windmill powered aerator entails a lot of different considerations. The biggest factor is how exposed your pond is to wind such that the windmill would function. There have been a lot of mixed views on windmill aerators, so you'll probably get a lot of different feedback on this question.

Given your depths and the size of the pond, it seems winterkill would be a bit less likely to occur, but in Canada you certainly can have some long, cold winters. Tell us about the length of your ice season, how often the ice is snow covered, and what sort of vegetation you have in the pond. In the end, aeration may or may not be a big factor for you, though I don't think anyone would disagree that properly managed aeration will generally do nothing but improve water quality.

Again, welcome! Sit tight for some more meaningful input!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hi Buffer ~
I agree with Todd ~ I think your pond is too deep to experience a winter fishkill. I also don't think a windmill would be of much benefit. Windmills struggle to keep ice open in the extreme cold, and even for summer aeration you would definately need more than one windmill. I am definately not a stocking expert, but I imagine they are still alive in your pond, it's just that you have a big deep pond.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Buffer, Sue is one of our resident aeration experts, so take her thoughts seriously. She definitely knows what she's talking about when it comes to aeration.

Sue also makes a great point about the size of your pond being a very likely reason you're not seeing too many fish - that's a lot of water and they may well be somewhere other than where you're looking, just hanging out, eating, and turning into hawgs!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Buffer:

Welcome to PB! What are the other types (and sizes) of fish that are in the pond?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I agree with that size of a pond you may not run into them for awhile. Heck I only have a 1 acre pond and I swear sometimes all my fish are gone!!! I bet they are there. Your ice will get about 3 feet thick max I would think. Have you ever test your ice thickness? Either way it won't get thick enough for a 37 foot deep pond. I lived in far Northern Wisconsin for many years and did my fair share of ice fishing and most of the lakes we went on were about 2 feet thick or so. So with your pond being 37 feet deep you shouldn't have a problem with winter kill. Maybe Otters? or Beavers??? Birds??? But I don't think winter kill would do it.

Course I am assuming you don't have any large N. Pike in there or Musky???

Last edited by RC51; 01/27/11 03:29 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
B
Buffer Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
B
Thanks for the replies. I'll try and answer as many questions as I can. East 1/4 of pond has what I would call cabbage weed starting from about 10' depth to the east shore. West 1/4 of pond starts at a sharp drop off from deep water to about 16"-Lots of lilly pads and stinking muck that bubbles off gas especially when disturbed. Some years first ice is early Nov. and ice out middle April or later. Yes, enough ice that your kneeling to finish drilling a hole with hand auger. Usually snow covered the majority of winter, 1' to 2' and more. There are tons of minnows.(Chub,Northern Redbellied Dace and some small suckers that have been found in my minnow trap) As for wind exposure there is a spot close, where there would be North,East and West wind. I used a simple O2 test kit(accuracy questionable, but repeatable trends) through the winter the bass survived and the next one. Have numbers if wanted.

Have Pond, Want to Fish
B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
Buffer welcome to the forum it is a great place to learn. You should post what your D02 levels were just for interest sakes. How old is your pond and how was it made. natural or a gravel pit? I would buy a windmill (I just did actually) There is alot of info on here about winter aeration. I think placing your diffuser in 15-20 feet or so would be ideal. I think the rule of thumb is to place diffuser at 2/3 of the pond depth for winter aeration. Oh yah I want to see some pictures we like pictures!!!!

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

B
Buffer Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
B
I'll see if I can get a friend to make a digital chart of my DO2 levels next week. As for a photo, I have not tried to figure how to post a photo yet, but will soon. Before we bought the property I contacted the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources to get the oldest arial (sp?) photo and the most recent one. The oldest was in 1957 and the most recent 1987, both showed the pond as being about the same size.

Have Pond, Want to Fish
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Buffer - I never say never when dealing with pond problems. Your situation is more complex than most. Your pond could winterkill given the right or wrong conditions. Firstly, does the pond have tannin stained water? This reduces overall productivity, affects phytoplankton quality and natural oxygenation. Is the water clear even with some stain or is it fairly turbid? do you have any water clarity measurements? High amounts of organics (submerged vegetation, tree leaves?) in a real old pond with quite a bit of noxious, anoxic decompostional gasses, water clarity, an incomplete destratification in late fall and lack of sunlight from late Nov to April, could all combine into a winterkill. Some small deep ponds are not holomictic (complete circulation), nor dimitic(bi-annual mixing). Late fall and/or winter plankton blooms could also play a role here. Stratification cycle of your pond is important to know. Does the pond get enough winter winds to blow large patches of snow off the ice? Depth is not the main factor for preventing winterkill, although it does play a very important role.

I will assume that you do not live at the pond. Regular snow removal will pretty much eliminate the chance of winterkill in your far north, deep pond. A few of our members from north central Canada regularly remove lots of snow from their ponds in winter with up to 36" of ice and fish (trout, etc) survive winter okay.

IMO your pond is too large for one windmill to be real effective at preventing winterkill, although if the conditions are marginal a windmill might help prevent or reduce a mild winterkill. Not all winters are alike. Definately two windmills would be better than one in a large 5 ac pond. At this point I am not positive about placement of the diffusers of 1 or 2 windmills. It would depend on the style of windmill and stratification features of the pond. Some windmills produce more air volume and better pressure than others. If your pond is truly 37 ft deep by recent actual measurement, then it will require 18-20 psi to release air at that depth. A real challenge for any windmill. It takes a pretty strong wind for a windmill to generate 18-20 psi. A light or moderate wind speed will definately not do it, thus your bubbling and mixing times will be noticably reduced compared to a windmill 'working' in a shallow (8-13ft deep) pond.

Presence of chubs and suckers suggest that the pond has a small feeder stream? Suckers and chubs normally will not spawn successfully in 'true' pond conditions, i.e. no moving water. I assume you can tell the difference between bluntnose minnows and suckers; both look quite similar. bluntnose and redbelly dace spawn in ponds. Maybe some close-up photos of the small fish next summer? Given perfect conditions creek chubs could spawn in ponds but it would be extremely rare. Most chub species spawn in similar conditions to trout utilizing redds in stream beds.

This link to our Achives may provide helpful info for posting pictures. Ask if you have questions or problems with this. I am not a 'big' picture poster, but there are numerous others here that can provide lots of good advice.
http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92443#Post92443

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/28/11 08:52 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
B
Buffer Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
B

Here is a rough graph of my oxygen measurements, hopefully this works. Will have more to say and show later. Buffer

Last edited by Buffer; 02/08/11 09:40 AM.

Have Pond, Want to Fish
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The minimum DO for many of the sport fish is around or close to 3ppm (mg/L). The graph nicely shows that when the DO dropped into the 3ppm zone and lower, the bass did not survive. Some of the bass and other fish could have survived until the DO was in the 2+ppm range.
For those interested, keep in mind that the DO loss normally begins at the bottom and 'works its way' toward the surface. I assume the measurements for the data in the graph above were made fairly close to the surface. Depending on features on top and under the ice DO in all the water may not decrease evenly throughout the pond. There may be small zones or pockets where DO is lower or slightly higher.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/31/11 08:00 PM.

B
Buffer Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
B
Yes, the pond has stained water. You can see down about 3 feet but not much beyond. Have not used a secchi disc yet to measure. Sometimes the pond is blown clear of snow, but I'm not there alot in the winter although I was there this past weekend. It's a 2.5 hr drive from home.

There was 8 to 12" of ice and about a foot of snow. Here is a photo of a minnow I've had at home that is from the pond.

I didn't know that DO loss began at the bottom, but it makes sense. Yes, the water samples were taken near the surface, as far down as I could reach under the ice.

There is a small feeder stream that runs year round although rather limited in a hot dry summer. I just keep thinking that if I were to install a windmill the pond might be able to bank enough DO to get past the Feb. crash. Buffer

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/01/11 09:49 AM.

Have Pond, Want to Fish
B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
Do your remember roughly how much snow was on the ice during the 2 yrs graphed above. Have you ever tried putting a Ice fishing camera down to see if there is any sign of life.

If it was me I would spend the money on a windmill but I am not an expert.

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Buffer, have you contacted Canadianpond.ca yet, if not touch base with Mario. I would consider a windmill that will produce the highest amount of cfm available.Place a pair of high volume air stations in 10-15 ft of water even if you have to suspend them This will allow the system to operate at 5-7.5 psi which will only take approx 10 mph wind to start pumping.This may allow enough oxygen if and when your water is at a critical state.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Buffer - Some items:
1. For posting pictures you have everything correct except you have to make sure there is a [ preceeding the first img. I fixed both of your pics by just adding the [.
2. Your stained water acts similar to a dye, limits sunlight penetration to the phytoplankton and probably at times directly or indirectly depending on circumstances contributes to eventual low DO.
3. Ted Lea provides good advice. The action of a windmill will definately help but it may not prevent all winterkills depending on severity of the winter. Completeness of fall turnover (destratification) will also affect the pond's overall DO 'bank account' going into winter. Ted's advice is a good way to begin with placement of diffusers for aeration. Be advised that coming out of winter the pond will probably be stratified at just below the depth of the diffusers. The unmixed deep zone anoxic water always contains no DO and hydrogen sulfide (H2S) gas which is very poisonous to fish. When a spring turnover occurs the unmixed anoxic deep water layer will be mixed into the upper oxygenated layer where the fish are inhabiting. If conditions are 'wrong' some sort of fish kill may still occur even with windmill aeration, but IMO your fish kills should be fewer! Numerous variables 'come into play' during this process. This H2S laden water is normally diluted and degassed when it comes to the surface.
4. The fish in your picture is a creek chub. Good picture by the way. The scales,lateral line, finage, mouth shape, and coloration all show up nicely. As I suspected, they are spawning in the feeder stream and migrating to the pond. Creek chubs, even fairly large ones, are a good soft rayed, fusiform shaped, forage fish, although the adults are competetors to smaller sportfish by feed heavily on invertebrates and newly hatched fish. You probably do have some suckers in the pond. They are also spawning and migrating in from the creek. Logs of minnows from the feeder stream will surive and some reproduce well in the pond. The stream serves as a supplier of forage species. Consider stocking some yellow perch (YP)to utilize the forage fish. They tolerate lower DO than the LMB. If you restock bass consider using smallmouth bass. Even if it is only a few adults from a local BOW. Their first spawn will quickly populate the pond and they 'work' better than LMB when using YP. LMB and SMB are not very compatable. LMB always win. So if all the LMB winterkill try restocking some smallies & YP.
5. Keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/01/11 10:32 AM.

B
Buffer Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
B
Thanks everyone for your input. I am now in the market for a windmill but am unsure whether to go Koenders or OWS. As of now at least, OWS has sent me the info I requested, but Koenders has just referred me to a dealer in Ontario, that has not. What are the pros and cons of these systems. Any info welcome, Thanks

Have Pond, Want to Fish
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Here's another North of the Border Supplier
http://www.superiorwindmill.com/products/turbojetstream.html

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Buffer, there are several good mill producers however some of them need to improve in their diffuser technology.In your search consider also questioning the "Lifting Rate" of the dffusers. If you can not obtain the independent lifting data you may want to search for seperate diffusers for your project. I would search for high volume diffusers that can lift no less that 3200 gpm @ 10 ft depth or 4500 gpm @ 16 ft @ 2 cfm. If you can locate a mill that produces at least 4 plus cfm at 10-15 psi or less that may be a contender.The weak link in many windmills today seems to be diffusers. Hopefully manufacturers in the near future will discover this shortfall.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think Ted has a good idea. Mix and match for the best performance.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

B
Buffer Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
B
I've ordered the windmill, (OWS, 24',traditional tower,powder coated Forest Green, with a freeze control system). Now, I will have a look at the diffusers as you say.

Last edited by Buffer; 02/06/11 11:31 AM.

Have Pond, Want to Fish
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
What are the cfm specs of your mill and "congrats"

B
Buffer Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
B
3.0 – 4.5 CFM with up to 30 PSI but I'm sure the quoted pressure and volumes won't be simultaneous. I'll try and find more info. Thanks,

Have Pond, Want to Fish
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Also find out if one exhaust port with a splitter or two independent exhaust ports.How are you planning on spacing the air stations ?

Last edited by Ted Lea FOREVERGREEN; 02/06/11 02:50 PM.
B
Buffer Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
B
It's been over a year since my last post, so here's an update. After a summer from hell (knee operation and car accident,boat actually dented not car but is still ok,trailer got the worst of it.) I got the windmill up and operating by October. Stocked 45 LMB, 30 YP in Fall. Not much of a winter but still 20 inches of ice. Windmill opened a spot periodically about 15 feet in dia. I don''t get up there much and am still adjusting airstone depth/valve to be even.
My son and I were canoeing there this past weekend to look for any sign of the YP or LMB. To my surprise(maby horror) we saw three NP. One well over 30 inches, the other two somewhat smaller. We did not see any YP but did see 5 LMB.

The water has been very clear for about a year now (I think I had a bit of winterkill from 10/11 winter. There are very few minnows now.
I'm thinking that my problem in starting a LMB fishery has more to do with NP than winterkill. Any ideas? Please help! Thanks in advance,Phil.

Have Pond, Want to Fish
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??