Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,129
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
14 members (PRCS, Augie, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Sunil, Angler8689, jpsdad, rjackson, esshup, jbird5986, Rick O), 992 guests, and 224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
Well over winter bordom I have been reading through rc51's aeration project. He used the EcoPlus 7 which has a max PSI of 5.1 and 7 cfm. I found them online for about $100. My pond is half an acre and about 10 ft deep. I was going to build a diffuser station with two disc's. Would that pump support 3 9inch or should I stick with 2. Also is it better to keep the diffusers close together or seperate them alittle. These were the diffuser I was looking at.

http://www.diffuserexpress.com/fine_bubble_disc.htm

C
OP Offline
C
Forgot to inform everyone of some important facts. Drained and mucked out the pond in june 2009. So there should be little organic muck on the bottom. Pond is tear drop shape with the majority of the pond in the 6-12ft depth.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Cody RC51 here. Glad you found my posts and I hope they helped!! And your answer is yes you can use 3, 9inch. That is what I am using and it works great. I am using 5/8 inch ID weighted hose and 5/8 inch pvc pipe with 3/4 inch elbows on each end to screw the diffusers on to. The Eco plus 7 works real good up to 10 feet. I have the same exact diffusers your looking at. Just remember to make sure you get the fine bubble ones not the large bubble diffusers. I have mine set in about 7 to 8 feet of water. The nipple coming off of the Eco plus 7 is 1/2 inch ID so I used about 10 foot of plastic 1/2 inch tubing and then had a 1/2 inch to 5/8 inch nipple I used to connect the weighted hose to and used small steel clamps to clamp everything together. Here are a few pics of my setup. If you have questions feel free to ask. I will be glad to try and help you.

Attached Images
Diffusers9inch.jpg Airstation.jpg Airstation2.jpg

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
C
OP Offline
C
Do you have valves installed to controll air flow to indivdual diffusers or do they regulate them self?

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
No I don't have valves, because the diffusers that I used have a cfm rating of .5 to 5cfm and my pump only puts out a max of 7 so I didn't need to controll the air because I could have a max of 15cfm if I wanted it and I wasn't even close to that, but I suppose you could set it up that way if you had a diffuser in another area and wanted to push some air to that one as well, but I did not use any and it works great. The 4 circle things in the middle of my diffuser are 4 inch round wheel barings for weight. I needed them to weight it down enough to make it sink. The metal plate is from the side of a computer. I drilled holes in it in order to zip strip everyting down to the plate. And the wire you see is from hangers. I wrapped them together and then put a zip strip on the end of the wire and took some twine put it through the zip strip and lowered into the pond. Worked like a charm. Some guys use a tire to put there diffusers on that works good too.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
C
OP Offline
C
I'm gona order the compressor and diffusers tommorow... I read that somone used a garden hose filled with sand then attaching it to the airline. I got a lot of garden hose and only have to go a short distance so I'm gona try it first. I like your plat form looks like its easier to pull up then a wheel.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah all you would have to do is get a pole with a hook on it grab the hanger part and pull it up. The garden hose filled with sand is not a bad idea either.

Good Luck and let me know how it goes. Those little pumps are awesome for the price!!! Heck for that price you can afford to have a spare in the shed in case you need one!!

Later,

C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for your post and input... I do notice nobody like's giving much info on our " your " project think your on to somthing for those of use with ponds 1 acre or less in size smile

Last edited by Cody Veach; 01/25/11 01:03 AM.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah I don't always get a lot of feedback, not sure if I stink or what??? smile Actually a lot of the guys here chime in when needed or if they are not that usually means your doing / saying the right things and they don't have to chime in. My pond is right at 1 acre and this Air station has been perfect. I have mine out 85 feet from shore and no problems. This last summer I ran it 6 hours a night every night and my bill was only $7.85 a month. So don't worry it won't suck up to much money either. I am going to run mine for 12 hours this year at night. I can afford 15 bucks a month. Good luck Cody and just remember to follow the start up procedures once you get it going. It's important you follow that the best you can, and I would not start your air up until your air temps start to hit around 60 or so and mid to upper 40's for lows daily. Unless your going to put it in a shallow spot for the winter like 3 feet deep. Remember warm water holds about half as much D.O. as cold water so you don't have to be in a big hurry to turn it on in the spring as you don't want to end up super cooling your pond on accident.

Last edited by RC51; 01/25/11 10:30 AM.

R
R
Hey RC51 and Cody I am in the same boat as you guys with a smaller pond at 3/4 acre. I like your set up. could you guys let me know what the prices were on the compresser, diffusers, and weighted hose.Just was curious on what this set up will run me and where is the best place to get all these items. Thanks in advance Roadjoker

Last edited by roadjoker22; 02/01/11 09:59 AM.

A weeks worth of vacation, 59 hours in a John Deere 160, 2 logs of Skoal, 1500$ in fuel, Lots of help from the neigbors and my old man, and a wife with an open mind to let me dig a pond at are cabin. All i can say is life is good!

J
J
Originally Posted By: roadjoker22
Hey RC51 and Cody I am in the same boat as you guys with a smaller pond at 3/4 acre. I like your set up. could you guys let me know what the prices were on the compresser, diffusers, and weighted hose.Just was curious on what this set up will run me and where is the best place to get all these items. Thanks in advance Roadjoker

I am also looking at building an aerator for my 1/3 acre pond. I'm dealing with the same depths. Is there a single thread that details your parts list, parts sources and has pictures? thanks in advance for the help.

C
OP Offline
C
I got my pump for $110 the diffusers were just under $20 each. It should cost me around $250 all said and done.
Found the Pump here
http://www.dga-online.com/mm5/merchant.m...mp;Store_Code=D
Disks here
http://www.diffuserexpress.com/fine_bubble_disc.htm

Last edited by Cody Veach; 02/01/11 01:51 PM.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: roadjoker22

Hey RJ,

Thanks for the kind words. Here are my links where I bought my diffusers and my Eco plus 7 air pump.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog...ac6a4ac1fada291

http://www.diffuserexpress.com/catalog/flexair_threaded_disc_diffusers.html

You can get the pump for 104 bucks plus shipping. Awesome deal on this pump man it works great for 1 acre or less ponds with a max depth of 10 feet.

The diffusers I believe were like 16 or so bucks a piece plus shipping.

Here is what I have.

1 - Eco Plus 7 Air Pump - 104 bucks plus Shipping.
3 - Air diffusers 9 inch in diameter FINE bubble NOT large bubble. They have both on the site be careful you don't select large bubble.
75 feet of weighted 5/8th inch ID hose from Ted Lea at http://www.cleanponds.com

He has a pretty darn good price on weighted hose and he is a good guy and will try and help you out if he can. I can't quite remember what I paid for the hose. I think is was around 115 bucks give or take a buck plus shipping.
For my diffuser station I used 5/8 inch PVC with 5/8 inch to 3/4 inch elbows cause the diffusers will have a 3/4 inch male thread on them to screw into the 3/4 female end of the PVC pipe. Just screw them down. Of course you will need a nipple where you join the weighted hose to the PVC on the diffuser station panel and I used a 3 way piece in the middle so I could branch off 3 different ways. Make sure you glue all your pvc pieces together good.
I used the side of a metal computer panel for my platform. Drilled holes in it where needed and used large zip strips to fasten it down to the panel. I also stuck a couple of hangers in the holes and wrapped them up so I could lower into my pond with something as simple as some rope. Just double the rope over and when you have it in place let one end of the rope go and pull it up. My only problem was weight!! I set it in the water and it wanted to semi float on me. So I took 4, 4 inch round wheel bearings and fastend them to the panel as you can see in the picture that worked great!! Some guys use tires as well.

As far as my air station I pretty much made a mailbox type post stand just not as high and screwed a small cat/dog kennel to it. It works great cause you keep your pump out of the elements and you still get good ventilation. I just took the door in front off.

I extended my tubing some by putting a 15 foot piece of plastic tubing on my air pump first and then attaching my weighted hose to that. But if you going to go that same route let me tell you what I did wrong. I put that plastic tubing directly onto the nipple coming out of the air pump! Bad idea that pump does get pretty hot really hot here in Arkansas so I took it off and went down to Auto Zone and bought a 12 inch 1/2 inch ID radiator hose to put on first and then put the plastic tubing onto that. That worked great!! Now I don't have to worry about the pump melting my plastic tubing. smile And of course I put metal clamps in the the spots needed to secure the tubing and weighted hose. I hope this helps here are a few more pictures for reference. As you can see in the one picture of the air station I have not added the radiator hose yet. I did that after I took these pictures. I attached a timer on the side of the 4x4 post to run at 2,4,6,8 hours or from dusk to dawn. I have to give a shout out to the pond boss memebers though for much of this setup. They were great in helping me out so I hope I can return the favor.

Attached Images
IMG00108-20100729-1928.jpg IMG00113-20100730-1914.jpg IMG00114-20100731-0838.jpg IMG00120-20100731-1019.jpg IMG00123-20100731-1432.jpg IMG00117-20100731-0949.jpg

R
R
Thank you both for the time, I will be ordering this stuff tonight. what depth is a good depth to put my difusers? my pond is 15 feet at the deepest and has steeps banks on 2 of the sides with the 3rd side gradualy sloaping to 15 feet deep. 70% of the pond is 12 to 15 feet deep. The pond looks like a basbeball diamond. the gradual sloped area is where i have 80% of my structure.

A weeks worth of vacation, 59 hours in a John Deere 160, 2 logs of Skoal, 1500$ in fuel, Lots of help from the neigbors and my old man, and a wife with an open mind to let me dig a pond at are cabin. All i can say is life is good!

C
OP Offline
C
During the summer put it in the deepest area of your pond. Make sure you read up on proper start up procedure.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Well I would put it as far as the pump will allow. I have not tested the pump over the 10 foot range. Most guys will tell you in the summer you want it as deep as you can get it so I would say try and center in pond as good as you can and try if you have enough line try it at 15 feet and see if it works. It may be to much for the pump?? Not sure. The first time I turned mine on it took about 10 to 15 seconds to see anything as the lines were filling up with air so don't freak out right awasy if you don't see anything right off, but if you don't see anything after 20 seconds or so then i would say your too deep and then just slowly bring it in till she kicks off! If your going to set it up for the winter remember to keep it in the shallow about 1/3 of your depth. So if your 15 feet deep I would be safe and put it in about 4 foot of water in the winter. keep me posted and let me know how that pump does in 15 feet of water I am interested to know. If it were me I would try and bring it in on your easy sloaping side that way your air tubing will lay down real nice and settle into your pond bottom.

R
R
Thanks again for the info. RC51 will keep you posted on how deep of water the pump will work in. Also Cody what do you mean by start up procedure?

C
OP Offline
C
Here is a great article about aeration I cut the startup procedure out for you.

"When an aerator is first installed it is important that you don’t begin running it constantly right away. If the aerator rotates the water column too quickly, it can actually cause a fish kill by moving the toxic gases throughout the pond in one fell swoop. The best route to take is to run the aerator for only 30 minutes on its first day, then shutting it off for the remainder of that day. The second day you should run the aeration system for one full hour then turn it off. The third day double to 2 hours, then to 4 hours the next, 8 the next, until you are running your system all day. This process will take 7 days to accomplish. Not only should this process be followed the first time an aerator is installed, it should be followed every time the aerator is turned on after an extended shutdown."

http://pondaerators.wordpress.com/2008/10/

R
R
Cody thats a great article, thanks. right now there are no fish in my pond. I dug it out in august and it filled up the week of thanksgiving so i didnt have any time to stock it. I was going to start aerating before i stocked it in the spring. I was going to run it on a timer only run it part of the day. should you run the aerator 24/7 or is it ok to run it 8 to 12 hours a time. I noticed that RC51 was running it for 6hours and was bumping it up to 12 hours? what are both of your thoughts on that?

Last edited by roadjoker22; 02/01/11 06:48 PM.

C
OP Offline
C
The price that pump runs at I am probably gona run it 24/7 in the summer.

R
R
Cody or RC51 what are your thoughts on going with the EcoPlus Commercial Air 5 Pump? according to its specs it should run 2 difusers and be less to operate? What are your thoughts running 3 difusers with the 7 pump or running 2 difusers with the 5 pump? just curious if there was a reason going with the bigger pump

C
OP Offline
C
From my reading you can get into some trouble by under aerating. You also said that you have 15ft deepths I dont think the you would be happy with the 5. For the little bit more $ just go with the 7 and enjoy it. Rc51 runs three diffusers, I built mine to run 3.

R
R
Ya for 35$ bucks it isnt worth foolin around. I appreciate all the info and an getting ready to order all of the system tonight. Just got done building my 12x16 floating dock on the ice this past weekend and i am getting so pumped for spring to get here! Thanks again Cody and RC51

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
roadjoker, how bout a new thread and some pics and info on the floating dock..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
R
R
Hey BK, will try to get those pics up tonight. it was a fun project. keep an eye out on the dock section. when i get home ill post those pics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 09:00 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday