Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,128
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
16 members (jpsdad, rjackson, esshup, Boondoggle, jbird5986, Sunil, Rick O, Angler8689, anthropic, Justin W, Bing, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg), 959 guests, and 191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#244725 01/13/11 06:59 PM
C
Cisco Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
OK ladies and gentlemen, my 1 1/2 acre mudhole is about 1 1/2 year old after the renovation but is still almost as muddy as it was right after the digging. The pond was drained and I restocked with BG and RES after about 3 months. Then stocked LMB after a year so the BG could get going good. My problem is you can't see a foot deep. I did habe some chara start growing this last spring/summer and now have 2 small clumps of cattails. I have done the gypsum, the alum and lime but nothing seems to work. I've also been told that some ponds just stay muddy. I'd like to have a somewhat clear pond if possible. should i up the amount of alum?

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

Cisco #244736 01/13/11 08:12 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rex!!! Oh Rex!!!! Calling Rainman!!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #244772 01/14/11 06:43 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
How are the fish doing?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Cisco Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
The fish seem to be fine Dave. All I have caught so far have been the BG but they seem to be fat and happy. I started feeding last spring and they tear it up. The ones we've caught don't have much color due to the muddy water I think but other than that, they seem to be fine. I'm hoping to start catching some small LMB this spring.

Ronald Reagan

Cisco #244798 01/14/11 09:46 AM
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Alum works only when it gets to the "breakpoint". I've probably cleared up 15 ponds and lakes over the years with the stuff. My problem has always been judging when to stop. Nowadays, there's buffered alum which is much, much safer to use.
Alum will absolutely work...absolutely. The catch is knowing when to stop. As soon as you hit the breakpoint, clay particles begin to clump, called "flocculate", become heavy and sink. If you use alum, at the same time it reaches breakpoint, the pH of your water can begin to drop dramatically. If that happens, fish die.
If you don't add just the right amount of alum, there are no results. The water stays muddy.
Buffered alum minimizes the risk of pH drop.
The other caveat is this...once the pond becomes clear is no guarantee it will stay clear. I've seen some ponds that I didn't think would stay clear be clear for years and others that I was confident would stay clear become muddy with the next rainfall.
I've seen some ponds that have been muddy for years become clear and then totally choke with aquatic plants in three years. Those ponds are nutrient rich and when the water clears, that food feeds plants.
So, that's a thumbnail sketch of what I've seen.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
Bob Lusk #244802 01/14/11 10:31 AM
C
Cisco Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Bob is there a supplier in Texas that sells the buffered alum? My place is in Cisco out close to Abilene. I was mixing the alum in a 55 gal. drum and using a trash pump to spray in the water at various locations around the pond. I'd pump a couple of drums of alum, then a drum of lime and so on. killing the fish was a big concern so I probably stopped before i should have. The pond didn't have plants in it until i renovated it basicly just making it alot deeper than it was when I bought the place. Now it has some but not many I think is due to the clarity. Thanks for the input!

Ronald Reagan

Bob Lusk #244803 01/14/11 10:33 AM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Read this to understand.

https://srac.tamu.edu/index.cfm/event/getFactSheet/whichfactsheet/108/

Get the soil and water tested to have a baseline to work from.

ewest #244819 01/14/11 11:31 AM
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Cisco,

Be careful what you ask for! I have a clear pond a very clear pond and although it looks nice at certain times I have more issues with weeds and chara and Herons getting my fish!!! All I am saying is each side has it's pros and cons. The fish will do fine in the muddy water if that's what your worried about. I fish some water here you can't see 6 inches and catch some of the best and biggest bass, blue gill and crappie out of it. And you are right about the color. You don't have as much color on your fish because of the lack of sunlight, but that doesn't hurt them in anyway. Good luck with tyring to find a happy medium. The other con to clear water dang fish can see you coming from 30 feet away!! smile

Last edited by RC51; 01/14/11 11:33 AM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
RC51 #244873 01/14/11 10:14 PM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Buffered Alum is nothing more than way over priced Alum and Hydrated lime.

As Bob said, the concentration of alum must reach a high enough concentration before a noticable clearing begins. Instead of paying 10 to 20 times the cost of buying Aluminum Sulfate and Hydrated lime seperately. The dangers can be minimized by adding the lime at a 50% by weight rate of the alum (100# alum--50# H lime). That Buffered stuff is crazy expensive and is just a high profit item meant for garden ponds.

Read the "Alum kicks clay butt" thread under the Muddy Waters section and do the bucket test you'll find. Determine the pounds of alum you will need, then double it.

Rainman #244914 01/15/11 01:04 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Cisco, I agree with RC51 about wanting really clear water. I faced the same muddy water problems and partially cleared it to 18" two years ago with alum(post in Alum kicks clay butt). The pond muddies everytime it rains, and now has 12" of visibilty. But, I have exactly zero weeds. Thousands of CNBG come to the surface when I feed, so they must be able to hide from the HSB & LMB in the structure & murky water. Aesthetically,I like to look at clear water & see the fish better, but like not having to deal with weed problems/herbicide costs,application, etc.... du

david u #244964 01/16/11 11:02 AM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Clear water and Muddy water both have the same effect on the base of the ponds food chain...it won't exist. Clear water is sterile water and muddy water does not allow zooplankton and phytoplantonic growth due to the lack of light penetration.

Clearing a muddy pond often causes an explosion of submerged plant growth in established ponds by alowing photo synthesis to occur and because fertility exists already. If that fertility is used by the zoo and phyto planktons, submerged plants will not be as much of an issue and you will gain the base of the food chain. A fertile green water that has 18-30 inches of clarity is far better than that same clarity in muddy water. If you use alum, use enough to clear ALL the mud out. Trying to get a partial clearing of mud with alum means any colloidal clay entering a pond will remain suspended. The intent when using alum is to allow the planktonic growth to begin in a pond and allow the clarity to remain based on the algae bloom present..not from the mud suspended.

Rainman #244991 01/16/11 06:45 PM
C
Cisco Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Thanks guys. I did the bucket test last year, well actually it was the jar test but i used the amount of alum it called for. I can double the amount if you think it will be better. I've been at the ranch hunting with the grandson or I would've responded sooner. I have been seeing more plant life areound the edges of the pond so I assume it's growing a little farther out also.

Ronald Reagan

Cisco #245321 01/18/11 11:08 PM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Cisco, I have used as much as 6 times the the amount suggested from a jar test with no fish stress....well, the prey fish sorta get freaked out at being seen and chased by the predators...

If you use the hydrated lime..NOT Ag lime at a 50% by weight proportion to the alum ,while applying the alum slurry, the potential PH drop is eliminated. The Alum, as a chemical poses no danger, to the fish UNLESS your water's natural PH is below 6.0. The only danger from alum or hydrated lime to your fish from either of these products is the PH change causing a rapid, dramatic change in PH.

Alum should be mixed with water and sprayed for best results. Just broadcast the lime by hand into the pond seperately from the alum slurry. Don't mix the two products in the same container or it thickens quickly.

Rainman #245381 01/19/11 07:45 PM
C
Cisco Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Thanks Rainman. I read the Alum kicks clay's butt thread before my last application. I still need to get some grass growing around one side of the pond. It's pretty bare right now from all the silt my dirt guy pushed out last year when I dug the pond out. I plan on planting something(I don't know what yet) this spring. I do have a couple of questions, is one time of year better than another and how exactly do I know when I've applied enough alum? Will I see it clearing? The last thing I want to do is kill all the fish I stocked.
Thanks again for the help!

Ronald Reagan

Cisco #245389 01/19/11 08:06 PM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
You can apply it anytime of the year. When the Alum creates the floc process, you will know it! It looks like clouds and mountains are forming in your water. You really can't add too much Alum/H Lime mixture. Both products can kill fish from causing a drastic PH change, but when used together, they cancel the other out, there is little to no PH change.

Feel free to click my link if you want to call me.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 08:24 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday