Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
2 members (gehajake, catscratch), 938 guests, and 165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#242421 12/08/10 12:56 PM
M
Mark B Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
can anyone tell me about your luck with them in your pond? They are so cool looking and get big enough to enjoy catching/eating. No one locally offers them but 1 of the local ponds I fish has them and I really enjoy catching them. Just thought I d like to hear what folks thoughts are regarding this species. The specific species is Lepomis gibbosus.

Also anyone know of any dealers for this species close to Ohio?
I am not there yet but wanted to see what the concensus is.

Salmonid

Have fish..Will Travel
Mark Blauvelt - Dayton Ohio
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.75 acre pond, HSB,YP,CC,BC,BCF,BG,HBG,RES
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
There is a lot here on PS. Neat fish species.

Two things to consider :

1. They do better in cold water than RES and have a overlapping diet with them (similar but not identical food niche).
2. PS tend to stunt (like BG)while RES do not.

M
Mark B Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Thanks, thats what i have gleaned so far and the stunting shouldnt be a problem as I have way more species to keep them in check then I should, ( Blue Cats, HSB, BC, YP and CC)as far as RE go, I have some but they havent faired very well and I rarely catch them so I was looking for something to replace what should have been with the RE's, does that make sense?

Salmonid

Have fish..Will Travel
C
C
RES dont do to well over the winter in PA I cant imagine they will do well in Ohio.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Mark -- I was hoping that some others with experience would post. Here is my story.

I have had troubles getting pumpkinseeds established in a couple of ponds with heavy predator populations. One pond was a gravel pit, and had largemouth bass and walleye. The pumpkinseeds never did "take." The other pond was a 22-acre hill pond (dam), and had lots of walleye, smallmouth bass, and a few largemouth bass. It also has bluegill and yellow perch. We stocked adult pumpkinseeds, but never have seen them reproduce or increase in number. Caught a couple of the adults while sampling with a class. Haven't given up yet, though.

Now, we did stock pumpkinseeds into a gravel pit that only had smallmouth bass in it. The pumpkinseeds really took hold, and in fact, might be too abundant. We wrote about this pond in the July/August 2010 issue of Pond Boss magazine, if you have a subcription. If not, send me a message or email with your email address, and I'll send a copy of that article. Maybe we can talk you into a subscription after that. Following our experience in that gravel pit pond, we did introduce the pumpkinseeds into a hill pond that had smallmouth bass and orangespotted sunfish. Too soon to tell if that worked or not.

I would like to hear from others who introduced pumpkinseeds into ponds with the more effective predators (largemouth bass, walleye, and maybe chain pickerel or northern pike?).

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
M
Mark B Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Dont worry, a subscription is on the Xmas list... 8^)
Good info, and Ill drop you a PM with Mailing/email info

Salmonid

Have fish..Will Travel
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Mark I have plenty of PS's in my 1 acre pond, but only Tiger and Brook trout as predators, they haven't overpopulated but I also thin out the population some by trapping smaller ones during the summer.
They also have been a very hardy cold water fish as they survive the harsh winter conditions in my pond. (5 months of ice with heavy snow cover.)
I'm also raising PS's in my backyard pond and indoor RAS trying to increase their size thru selective breeding.

Here's a fish farm in western NY that is suppose to have PS's.
http://www.smithcreekfishfarm.com/id1.html

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The local lake (365 ac) has PS along with LMB, NP, BG, RES, etc. It's approx. 30 miles SW of South Bend, Indiana. The PS werent' stocked in it when the state re-stocked the lake in 1970. But then again GS, Carp, and White Bass weren't stocked by the state either.......

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Those rotenone treatment never get all the fish. And the bigger the water body the less likely it does.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
True!

There were carp, gar and dogfish in the lake back then. Never caught another gar or dogfish since. No White Bass were ever in the lake back then, but a few are being caught here and there. GS same thing, they are a relatively recent addition (say the last 15-20 years)

Blue Catfish were stocked as well as Walleye. None have been caught in the past 10 years that I know of. They dropped the lake level 5' for the treatment. Lots of shoreline was exposed. I remember filling up a 14' jon boat a number of times with the dead carp and gar.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
C
I fish a pond loaded with PS that is about 3 acres, then again its rare I catch a bass in the pond. Fish ponds that we have stocked LMB and PS and rare to never catch a PS. The local river "susquehanna" has loads of them. I have noticed that unless they are in a river they do not do well with predator fish in the water.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I have been able to introduce PS well in most ponds when they are stocked in the beginning, but getting them to take in an established pond has been more challenging but not impossible.

My in-laws live on a golf course in southern NC right on the coast just north of Myrtle Beach, SC. The pond in their back yard has CNBG and a healthy population of LMB. The pond also contains a healthy population of PS. I have been fishing that pond for the last 4 years and every time I go I can catch PS, some are over 8". When you net the pond it shows signs of YOY and other age classes. I am sure RES would do well in the pond as well with as far south as it is since CNBG are present.

My grandfather is a member of of a shooting club in central PA that has a fishing pond on the grounds. The pond is full of stunted 8"-12" LMB. It also has plenty of 8"-11" BG and a good number of 6"-8" PS. It's been this way for over 20 years now. That pond is about 2 acres in size and also has YP and BC that do well. Not sure why all the species seem to maintain, but if you don't care about fishing for big bass, it's an excellent panfish pond.

I've personally never seen PS stunt, I am sure they can though. They look a good bit like RES, but are far easier to catch and seem to be more adaptable to changing food sources, able to eat like BG or switch to the hard shelled foods that RES prefer.

They're quite common in the Potomac River by my house. If you run a beach seine there near vegetation in the summer, you can catch 1000's in a single pass. They seem to prefer vegetated areas and don't do well in ponds that are devoid of vegetation. They can be pellet trained, much more easily than RES in my experience. If only they reach a little bigger size, I think they would be a much more commonly stocked pond fish.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
If only they reach a little bigger size, I think they would be a much more commonly stocked pond fish.

HEY, I'M GROWING AS FAST AS I CAN!!! grin

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
PS are all over the place in the local lakes and ponds here in Michigan. I catch them in a ratio 1:3 PS to BG when we ice fish. When I can find a supplier, I plan to try them in my pond.

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

M
Mark B Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Yeah, let me know if you can find a supplier, not having any luck in that department other then the Aquarium folks whose prices are in "eaches" and very expensive...

Salmonid

Have fish..Will Travel
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
I love PS - they are very nice looking fish. I have added them to my Uncle's 2 acre pond in NJ several times which is well established with LMB, GSF and BG (until a recent partial summer fishkill). I have only managed to add maybe 20 adults over the last 5 years. We do catch them once in a great while but with all the BG already there, they may never become abundant and I have never caught a smaller one, so not sure if they are recruiting. However, being bass heavy, we see almost no baby anything living shortly after spawn. I don't know enough about PS biology/habitat but my uncles pond is red clay bottom (holds water very well), has minimal vegetation (we have tried to get stuff growing to no avail) and is not spring fed so it can get warm and also gets muddy after rains. Every place I have caught PS it was a pond or lake that had some water running through it (stream or spring) and they were always very clear water (and colder) and at least some vegetation, so PS may prefer this type of habitat over traditional stagnant ponds.

I will keep trying to stock them because I think they are the best looking sunfish. I mean next to the green sunfish (I am just trying to avoid persecution by JHAP and the GSA!)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Whew, good thing you didn't antagonize the GSA!! smile

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
Originally Posted By: oldsconv
I will keep trying to stock them because I think they are the best looking sunfish. I mean next to the green sunfish (I am just trying to avoid persecution by JHAP and the GSA!)

that statement is nice to hear and will buy you a reprieve from persecution oldsconv. even when jhap is personally not monitoring anti GSF sentiment here,

we are watching, we are always watching...... smile

GSF are people too!

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Greenies are ok, they're tough little buggers, but PS's are tough and more purdy. grin

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
"Greenies are ok, they're tough little buggers, but PS's are tough and more purdy."

Oh Great. Now you've done it!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: oldsconv
I mean next to the green sunfish (I am just trying to avoid persecution by JHAP and the GSA!)

The GSA does not persecute anyone.

We merely punish and re-educate.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM